Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knife question for LEO types

Re: Knife question for LEO types

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
    Whatever knife you choose to get, make sure you spend several hours perfecting your knife throwing technique. It will save your life one day.
    LMAO!!! You just get funnier and funnier!!!
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Probably the same action as mine (Mini Barrage). They use this type ("Assisted opening Axis lock") on several models... the Barrage, Arcane, Volli, Emissary, and maybe others I'm not familiar with. It WORKS, and locks utterly tight with NO play.

Luis
    Whatever it was, you moved the blade a tiny, TINY bit and WHACK! Out she was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    When you're used to opening a Spyderco all the way with your thumb, the same motion causes the blade to shoot out to full-open, overshooting the thumb, which continues its normal arc. I pretty much always end up "checking the edge" on such knives, which is only something I want to do when actually checking the edge.

A few guys I know have spring assists. True switchblades of any significant size are not real popular here in CA as they are restricted to LE only, and LE probably doesn't buy a lot of them simply due to limited retail exposure. At the point you can get the knife open quickly with one hand though, what's the reason for the extra moving parts?
    I am not an LEO, nor have I trained with a knife, but I figure for me getting a folder open under duress is going to be easier with an assisted opener, once it is open, I do know my anatomy. Thanks again, I started the thread because I do not know what works for an LEO on a daily basis.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by LMLarsen View Post
    None of my trainers or instructors have ever, EVER advocated throwing a knife; in fact just the opposite. Never toss away any weapon you can use, ever.

Go back to your hot pockets.
    If you can dodge a wrench.........

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Whatever it was, you moved the blade a tiny, TINY bit and WHACK! Out she was.
    Yep. Any of the models I mentioned before are just like that. Smoking fast and easy.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    Chiro, When my wife fusses about me buying a spare, I'm blaming YOU!!!!

Well, I've been carrying and using mine for 3-4 years now and the only sharpening it has needed has been touch-ups on my ceramic sticks.
    It has RUINED me on lesser steels

edited to add: Scratch that Chiro, you're safe from my wife, they're out of stock @ SMKW

edited again to add: Also, some of the copy at SMKW says it's the S30V model and then further down the page in the specs it says that's the Sandvik 14C28N Stainless Steel blade
    They said it was the S30V, per an email response from SMKW.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    They said it was the S30V, per an email response from SMKW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.