Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun at my place last night...

Fun at my place last night...

About 10PM last night, I heard someone open my storm door and try to open the front door. The door was locked, so they knocked on the door. I live in an out of the way place, so someone knocking on my door at this time of night is unusual. I grabbed my shotgun, opened the door a little, shotgun ready, and theres a male standing on my porch. I ask him what he wants, and he tells me he crashed his car into my ditch down the road and wants me to come help him pull it out. I tell him he's on private property and private roads and has no business here and that he needs to go back to his vehicle and call a tow truck. He finally walks away, staggering drunk. I close the door and call dispatch to send some guys my way.

I turned the front porch light off, slung my shotgun and go out on the porch to make sure they guy isn't snooping around while I'm waiting for deputies to get there. Deputies get lost and I finally guide them in to the wrecked vehicle down the road. About that time, I see the suspect walking across my field toward his vehicle, until he sees the deputies are there, and turns around to walk away. At that point he saw me and approached me, asking if he can use my phone. I tell him no and tell him to go to his vehicle. He argues with me for a minute, moving toward me. I start giving him commands to back off and go back to his vehicle, shotgun definitely on him at this point. He turns around and starts to head out in the opposite direction from his vehicle. I keep my light on him, at the same time trying to get ahold of one of the guys to get over there. Finally get a state cop over there, but by this time the suspect has made it behind my property toward an old run down, overgrown house and barn behind me. State cop knows who I am, tells me the deputies are busy at the wreck and that there was a female and newborn baby in the vehicle. Female was drunk as well and there was alcohol in the vehicle. He's the only state cop for the southern half of the county and says he'd like to have backup before going after this guy, but he has no backup. I hold him, "let's go." We spent the next hour searching around the brush, old vehicles and barn. Couldn't locate the guy. Female was arrested on outstanding warrants and concealing ID. Dude got away, but we know who he is. He's wanted on felony warrants himself and is a career criminal. He looked familiar to me, but I couldn't place him. Now I know.

Not much sleep for me last night, but such is life. Now just gotta find this idiot and get him back in jail where he belongs.

Stay safe out there, guys.
    Last edited by Jay; 02-09-2017 at 06:31 PM.

A little too much adventure for the middle of the night eh?

Since hindsight is crystal clear, anything you would do differently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

Will Rogers

Re: Fun at my place last night...

A man owes his life to your calm disposition and enviable character.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Just like the Boy (girl/can't decide yet) Scouts say- - - - -"Be Prepared!"

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

Who boy! Good on you for the mostly positive outcome!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Sounds like you did damn good.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by TrueTone911 View Post
    A little too much adventure for the middle of the night eh?

Since hindsight is crystal clear, anything you would do differently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Always things a person can do better in hindsight.

They guy is lucky he didn't get dropped. At one point, while asking me for my phone and moving toward me, he asked me if I wanted his ID so I'd let him use my phone. He started to reach for his back pocket and that's the point where the shotgun came up on him. That's when he decided he'd better go somewhere else. In hindsight, I think I made the right call. But if he had reached for a gun, even with me being at the ready, I might have had some rounds flying my way before I could stop him. He was about 6-8 feet away from me at that point. Too close for comfort and a few feet away from my muzzle. My main thought at that point was watch for a gun, and make sure he couldn't grab the muzzle of my shotgun, and create distance between us. But the way he was acting and kept looking at my shotgun, I had a strong feeling he was going to try to grab for my gun. I wanted to keep distance and get him away from me until I could get someone there to help. Wish I wouldn't have let him walk away, but I felt it was the best thing for me to do at that point.

Need to keep up with my defense flashlight batteries. Half way through clearing the brush, cars and buildings with the state cop, my light started to die. I had been using it for about an hour at that point. I should have had my backup light with me. Time to invest in new batteries and make sure everything is kept charged. Also wish I would have left my Surefire mounted on my shotgun. That would have helped. But I took it off and put it on my AR, which was in the safe. Time to look for another light for the shotgun.

Several times while clearing the area with the state cop I caught myself getting into bad positions and realizing it after the fact. I was mindful of my muzzle and watching my "partner," but just little stuff like approaching cover from a bad angle or moving around cover in a poor manner that would have exposed myself if he was behind it. Stuff that I should have known better, but was careless. I'm hard on myself on stuff like that though. Those are not good mistakes.

My truck was left unlocked, with the key inside it. As soon as they guy left my front door, when I first went outside, that was the first thing I secured. Strangers don't normally come out where I live, so I have a bad habit of doing that. All they guy would have had to do was get in my truck and take off. Luckily, he didn't.

Fun times!!!

So proud of my French Model.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Glad you are OK and hope they find the dirtball. Keep alert he still may be laying around your place with some other Varmints and come back tonight!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Was the wife home and hopefully armed? First thing I do when something like that happens is hand my daughter a gun and remind her not to shoot me.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Thanks for sharing both the incident AND your review of your actions. We all learn from these and sparks ideas that can apply to your own situation.

Glad you are Ok and it all worked out.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Sounds like you did fine IMO.
    Glad it didn't go "sideways" on you
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

Thanks guys.

The wife was not there. I was alone. She would have been armed, as she usually is. And my response would have been different. I likely would have stayed around the house instead of going out busting brush with the state trooper. While "fun" and I really, really wanted to catch the guy, if she had been there, my priority would have changed from hunting to protecting.
    Last edited by Jay; 02-09-2017 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Thanks for sharing both the incident AND your review of your actions. We all learn from these and sparks ideas that can apply to your own situation.

Thanks. Exactly why I posted. My actions and story mean nothing, but if someone can learn a little through someone else's real world experience, it's worth telling the story.

Since my daughter and her husband are living on the place now, plus their kids at times, and they get the occasional unexpected visitor, my response to strangers pulling into the driveway and/or knocking on the door is a bit different than it's been for the past 10 years or more. We're still cautious, and well-armed when greeting visitors, but they're usually looking for the kids. Their house isn't visible from the road, as the SE shoot participants can verify. One of their frequent visitors has a habit of parking in the driveway and walking back, after getting stuck in the mud a time or two. After being a whistle stop on the road to nowhere for such a long time, it took a little getting used to when the circumstances changed.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

Banned

Good job.

On a personal note, any man wandering on my property at night is playing Russian roulette with his life.

Jay it is always easy to find something that could have been better, but as things happen you did what felt right.
    You did not get hurt, you weren't forced to pull the trigger and even though a long night you went to sleep and all is well.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Quote Originally Posted by early View Post
    A man owes his life to your calm disposition and enviable character.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

Will Rogers

I'm not one for shotguns for HD but i think in this sceniro, it may have been better than a pistol or rifle although your visitor sounded to drunk to care.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Banned

Glad it went as well as it did Jay.

First let me say I'm glad it worked out OK and you were not injured or had to pull the trigger. Secondly, after reading your after thoughts there's a lot to be learned from this, how many of us know the condition of our flashlights , and in this instance, it would have been nice to have a backup gun. Please don't think I am trying to second guess your actions, your after thoughts are very similar to mine after my experience 2 years ago, Since than i have changed my method of dealing with these situations .
    After all is said and done , ya did great.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Thanks guys. I appreciate your comments.

As for home defense weapon of choice, I'll say my thoughts, just for discussion. I'm a fan of home defense shotguns. I'll take an AR in most cases, but there's reasons to me that it's not that feasible. I used to keep my AR in the house for HD. And my Kimber is on me 99% of the time, although it wasn't last night. For last nights situation, I was really good with the shotgun. I had a thread going almost a year ago about this gun. If it wasn't a pain to do on my phone, I'd look it up. It's a 18" barrel and I have it set up with a 3 point sling and 6 extra rounds on the right side of the stock. I keep it loaded with buckshot and have slugs on the stock. My thought process is simple. For inside the house range, 00 buck is my choice. If I get outside of inside the house range; pump, pump, push push pump. That puts two rounds of buck on the ground (if I start with one in the chamber), a slug in the chamber and one in the magazine. Another hindsight. Maybe I should have done that when I went outside. But, considering the 8 foot distance encounter, I'm good with buck and I'm glad I didn't have to use it.

For my HD choices; the AR, shotgun and Kimber, I'd take the AR all day in most cases. But it's not as accessible, so I need some time to get to it. Just the logistics of how my man cave and house are set up. The Kimber is easy to grab, but given the choice, I'll grab the shotgun. It is not a great choice for clearing in confined spaces. But outside, going through barns and covering junk cars, I was happy with it. I was simply lucky in the way things turned out, given the short amount of time I had to react, I guess.

Thanks jay. I hear you. I was really wanting to have my Kimber on me as well. I just wasn't prepared. I was wearing jeans, a tshirt and didn't have my holster on. Just grabbed the shotgun and went. Definitely something to look into correcting. If I'd had a quick to put on holster, I'd have been set. But I use a leather belt loop holster. Didn't have it on.
    Last edited by Jay; 02-10-2017 at 04:23 AM.

You did good, scored points with local LEO's too, got to do a dry run and re-evaluate without the stress of expending ammo, win-win.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

You did good. It won't ever go just as planned, but thinking through everything afterward will help you not to make mistakes and will hone your skills for next time, not that you made any major ones this time. Hey nobody died and you all went home, well except the scumbag perp. But he, his wife and kid have your cool thinking to thank that they're all breathing air tonight too, and that's a good thing. Everybody lived to rethink their actions including the perp. Maybe, just Maybe you taught him a lesson and it may improve him, and that too is a good thing. If not, then he's a real dumbass and beyond hope.
    Last edited by snake284; 02-10-2017 at 05:53 AM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post

+1
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.

So you used the tried and true Joe Biden maneuver? Classic!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
    My internal wild dog began barking a warning. I always listen to that bark.
    I have a friend like that. He is named Butt Jerm.

Did they find the guy yet? They must know who he is from his family. Probably put a BOLO out on him and will get him eventually.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    ]Confessing to a murder on the internet, I'm sure this is going to end well
    This is getting to be no place for a sensitive soul, such as I.
    Last edited by shush; 02-11-2017 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Is
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp View Post
    ..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.
    I'll never hear the end of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    ...But seriously Shush....

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    Did they find the guy yet? They must know who he is from his family. Probably put a BOLO out on him and will get him eventually.
    He has not been found yet. Apparently he REALLY doesn't feel like going to jail right now, even though his baby mamma is still in there. I'm sure he's being a fine, upstanding citizen and parent and taking care of his baby while momma is in jail....

Good form, Jay!
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.