Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About Suppressors

Let's Talk About Suppressors

The more I research about noise reduction, how the dB scale works, etc, the more interested I get in purchasing a sound suppressor. Add to that SilencerCo's current campaign giving you $200 credit in accessories (IE the cost of buying 2 muzzle attachment devices, and a MOLLE suppressor pouch), and I'm getting somewhat tempted.

For those of you that have them, was it worth the cost?

Do you use it for real world applications, such as hunting?

Is it worth the unwieldiness of a rifle w/ can attached for the noise reduction?

Right now I am eying the SilencerCo Omega 30. This can would do double duty of being on my HD AR, and then being attached to one of a few hunting rifles that I intend to take to the field (among them 6.5 Grendel, 7mm08, and potentially a 7mm Remington Magnum).

I understand the argument of "there's no way they cost that much to build." So be it, but I don't have the time or facilities to build my own, and there is something to be said for a warranty.

Educate me, oh wise ones.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Banned

Re: Let's Talk About Suppressors

I've only shot a suppressed firearm once and it was a few weeks ago at an indoor range. I emptied a mag on an AR in 223 and I can say that it was ridiculously quiet and wasn't very big, therefore didn't add much mass to the rifle. It was longer (obviously), so that's the only time I can understand an interest in a SBR. To add a can. It would be worth toting around in the woods to hunt with.

One Word: Surefire
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    One Word: Surefire
    I just looked at their site. They pared down their line. They used to have several kinds just for 5.556.............
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

I have suppressors on everything on a rifle but the 9.3x62
    Was a time when I thought , Nah would ruin the look of a good rifle
    however the proof is in the hearing.

New Zealand has a huge [for our country for a sporting good] manufacturing line up of suppressor makers
    google
    DPT, http://www.dpt.co.nz/category.php?id_category=3
    Hardy, http://hardyrifleengineering.co.nz/c...y/suppressors/
    Waitaki Engineering,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ioEVryuwnw
    Among many others
    It's been a growth industry here for some years, I personally run an A-Tec.http://www.a-tec.no/modular-silencers Cmm4 on my 6.5x55 Finn light
    A DPT on my 3006 and a waitaki engineering on the 223 CZ
    I'd never go back to running a well used rifle without one.
    All my suppressors, except the one on the 223 are modular.
    Anyone wants picture of what they look like on a rifle just ask, I'll put them up

Useful? Yes.

Bolt action rifles are quieter at the shooter than semi-autos. But both are hearing safe (-ish) for general hunting applications.

For extended training scenarios still wear ear pro.

We've taken to Crux ("crow") suppressors for length vs suppression ability, but all are going to be relatively the same if using typical baffle designs.

Think wisely on your mounting system. Direct thread (DT) can often help minimize point of impact shifts, but can hinder a multi use application.

Buying an adapter mounted suppressor lets you use the can on all your guns suitable to the bore size of the suppressor.

I run a .338cal suppressor exclusively now. It's mounted on the rifle via muzzle device. I can shoot everything from .223 to .338 and the noise reduction is appreciable for all calibers.

Shop effectively and .338cal suppressors aren't exorbitantly more than .30cal versions.

Yankee Hill Machine and Rugged suppressors are worth a look, too.

The suppressor market is overwhelming nowadays. I spoke to 20 or 25 Manufacturers at SHOT back in January. It's an insanely flooded market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

They are giving that $200 credit because their sales have plummeted with the hope that the hearing protection act will pass. Saw a deal the other day where makers were encouraging people to buy NOW, ahead of the hpa, because if it passes the wait will be longer.
    Sorry suppressor makers, only dumb people are falling for your scare tactics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

My first can is in jail waiting for a $200 stamp, but I went through a similar research process in the Fall.

@jasonmpd gave great advice on the equipment. I have nothing to add.

Shopping Issues: Trump's victory changed everything.

1) Pre-Trump: fear by the gun buying public caused prices to rise for everything including cans. Furthermore, there was a surge of surpessor sales cause by a change in the law. The ATF is way behind on processing forms. Approval for my Black Friday purchase probably won't arrive before August.

2) Post-Trump: a lot of people think Congress will change the law requiring a stamp for Supressors. Rather than pay for the stamp and wait, they seem to be delaying can purchases. As a result, companies like SilerncerCo are laying people off.

Bottom line: I think supressor makers are going to face a lot of downward pricing pressure in the next 6 months. If you were going to buy the accessories anyway, it's a good deal. If they aren't important, look for items on sale.

If the law is changed, it is going to be crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

If the law is changed, it is going to be crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

If the law is changed the manufacturers of suppressors are going to make a lot less per each, but they are going to sell a lot more of them.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

I've got three, two .22 rifle suppressors and one .30 caliber for my .300 BOut. I tried the .22 can on an AR and it works to some extent, but just isn't large enough to silence the .223.

One thing I found strange...I had a heavy barrel 10-22 and had the barrel turned to fit the .300 suppressor. I thought it would be whisper quiet, but it was not. Sounded like an unsilenced .22 to me.

Was it worth it? Unquestionably. My hearing is bad and I have to wear hearing aids when watching TV. Now I can shoot subsonic ammo without further damaging my hearing. Only this year did GA pass a law allowing silencers for hunting, but since I don't hunt, it doesn't affect me. Oh, I might pop a squirrel once in a while around my house, but I live in a small town and have to choose my backstops well. Also, a city cop is my next door neighbor although I think he's gun-friendly so long as I use common and neighborly sense.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

If the law passes the prices will not come down in the beginning. Law of supply and demand will dictate price. Too many people like myself will want a few. After things die down the prices will drop and the amount of manufacturers will skyrocket.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo341 View Post
    If the law passes the prices will not come down in the beginning. Law of supply and demand will dictate price. Too many people like myself will want a few. After things die down the prices will drop and the amount of manufacturers will skyrocket.
    Actually, I believe you have it backwards. If the law changes, first there will be an explosion of manufacturers while demand keeps the price inflated. Then once the demand stabilizes, prices will begin to drop and some of the manufacturers will take their money and run back to what they were doing before it all started.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Given the political flux of the issue at the moment, I'm waiting for several things:

1. Removal from NFA status.

2. Competition to take off, both improving the breed and lowering the prices.

3. How it goes in the People's Republic of California. Yeah, our legislature will still try to keep 'em banned here, but if the H.P.A. is truly worded as a "Health & Safety" measure, who knows?

My main shopping points would be durability, ease of maintenance, and ability to lock down consistently for sake of return to zero. I've dabbled with a Yankee Hill can on a work AR. The effect is nice, but the size / weight issues are something to consider. It's worth noting that "home defense" is not necessarily the same thing as "clearing a house" - I would be more concerned about length for the latter than the former. If you aren't able or willing to deal with the added paperwork of SBR's and integrally-suppressed systems, you pretty much have to regard it as turning carbines into rifle-sized packages, and modern rifles into Civil War-sized ones.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

I have 4 suppressors:
    Silencerco
    Thuderbeast arms
    Osprey
    Liberty Torch
    All are top of the line and work very well. Are they worth it, to me they are. My favorite is the Silencerco Sparrow II rimfire can, that is awesome on my 1022! I did the bolt shave and buffer mods to quiet bolt slap, she is super quiet.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diver43 View Post
    If the law is changed the manufacturers of suppressors are going to make a lot less per each, but they are going to sell a lot more of them.

Yep. We're positioning ourselves to pounce when/if it does. It's sketchy planning considering it hinges on government proaction.

I spoke fairly frankly with a couple of suppressor manufacturers at SHOT. The ones that fear the HPA seemed to be the ones who hold their noses the highest regarding their 100 year old technology sporting pretty Cerakote. Some seemed indifferent and some were making plans to capitalize big league on the HPA of it comes to fruition. A couple have some killer ideas.

We'll see. I'm not banking anything just yet regarding the HPA. But I'll be hopeful.

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

... can you say "idiots".

These liberal attacks on the HPA make me think about going on and taking advantage of the rebates. Honestly I don't see the HPA evening being up to bat until 2018 and then there are more pressing matters that are going to need addressing by Congress and Trump. Damn I hope it passes and really this small bill should pass in the fast lane but a good budget, healthcare policies, etc are way more up on their lists.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

Fired many suppressed weapons at ranges. The one that most impressed me was a S&W submachine gun. It was indoors, 9mm, and the action's noise was louder than the discharge. Still, it was probably close to the sound of a pneumatic nail gun
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

But but suppressor owners will all be "Silent Assassins"...............

I guess they have their uses for many applications. Going to ranges will still require hearing protection because all shooters won't be using them. Be cool to shoot quietly where it is safe and legal to do so.

One this is fer sure..........be a lot less 911 calls for "I think I heard gunshots.............."

Folks up to no good will still be up to no good and law abiding responsible gun owners will still be the same.

I got no plans fer one, but never know what the future will bring.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

The House will likely pass this, in some form, unless Paul Ryan thinks it is safe to do nothing. Regardless, the Senate will try to ignore this bill for as long as possible, and keep it out of the news. Senators like John Cornyn, my least favorite Texas senator, will avoid taking a stand for as long as possible, while paying lip service to 'possibly' being in favor of it. The Republican establishment, which he is secretly allied with, doesn't really care, one way or the other, as long as they keep getting re-elected. There has to be a mandate from their constituencies, and most folks have not thought this out, in terms of constitutionality, or actually knowing what the benefits/liabilities are. No Democrat Senator would dare vote for it, nor would the two lady Republicans that occasionally vote with the Dems. Donald Trump might be able to get it pushed through, but it is probably the least of his worries, at the moment, and I doubt that anyone in his cabinet wants to be bothered with it.

In other words, a large number of people think that doing nothing is the safest thing to do, politically, and career politicians LIKE doing nothing, and getting away with it. I just don't see enough Senators willing to spend 'political capital' for this, unless there is a general uprising from their constituencies.

After building a suppressor, I have to say that it is not hard at all to make an effective suppressor. Yeah, it's heavier and bigger than a commercial model. So what? This will be for hunting and plinking.

If the HPA passes, I will be building more of them. They are easy, effective and cheap.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

I have two: a .40 cal pistol can by YHM and a .22 rimfire can from SilencerCo.

If i could do it over, the pistol can would've been a dedicated 9mm or .45 ACP device. The .40 is just too "tweener."

Now, the rimfire can is a different story. It's incredibly useful across a wide range of rimfire and even one centerfire round (.22LR/.22WMR/.17HMR/.17HM2/5.7x28mm). Accuracy on a CZ-452 American is not at all hurt by it. One hole at 25 yards and dime-sized groups at 50 yards with Fiocchi 40 gr. subsonic ammo.

As for what you are after, I think that I want to make a similar investment long term. SilenerCo makes good stuff, as does Surefire. A .30 cal can cam be used on a bunch of different catridges and platforms, which is very appealing. I think you'll love it.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Let's Talk About Suppressors

Thanks for the input folks. Right now other projects (my 6.5 CM) have jumped in front of the can, but
    I'm about to post up a bunch of safe queens for sale and the proceeds will be put towards a can.

I'm still between a Surefire and a SilencerCo right now. The Surefire set up will run me a few hundred $$$ more, but there is something to be said about the negligible POI shift that Zee has been exhibiting in his posts.

Truth be told, I will probably end up with a .22 rimfire can as well.

My criteria:

- Muzzle device mounted

- 30 cal can. It will spend most of its time on a 6.5 and a 5.56

- Full Auto rated. Because I have designs of shooting 3 gun, and anything not FA rated seems to be limited to 6-10 shots/minute. No go for 3 gun.

Last edited by shotgunshooter3; 03-20-2017 at 03:10 PM.
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunshooter3 View Post
    Thanks for the input folks. Right now other projects (my 6.5 CM) have jumped in front of the can, but
    I'm about to post up a bunch of safe queens for sale and the proceeds will be put towards a can.

I'm still between a Surefire and a SilencerCo right now. The Surefire set up will run me a few hundred $$$ more, but there is something to be said about the negligible POI shift that Zee has been exhibiting in his posts.

Truth be told, I will probably end up with a .22 rimfire can as well.

My criteria:

- Muzzle device mounted

- 30 cal can. It will spend most of its time on a 6.5 and a 5.56

- Full Auto rated. Because I have designs of shooting 3 gun, and anything not FA rated seems to be limited to 6-10 shots/minute. No go for 3 gun.

Your criteria is reasonable.

Surefire makes great stuff and for convenience of use across platforms an adapter mounted suppressor is a good choice.

Taper mounted options like the Crux Nemesis (full Titanium made) are good too. They don't have a locking ring like SF cans do, but I've not had one come loose under high volume fire yet.

My Griffin Armament RSTA has never come loose either with rapid fire use.

And to add POI shift on above mentioned is less than 3/4 MOA.

As to the extra $$$ I look at it same as buying a more highly thought of firearm versus say a Lorcin ... you'll have it a longtime, maybe lifetime, so cost per year is not that much more. A product and company behind it like Surefire that WILL be around a lifetime and warrantied is worth it!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

I purchased a 19 oz Titanium suppressor for my AR-10 a few years ago. I was hoping for a love relationship with it and by the end of the first weekend it was total hatred! For shooting off the bench it was great the noise reduction was exactly what I was hoping for. Then I took it hunting and the hatred soon began! My DPMS AR-10 had a 24" bull barrel and adding a 9.75" suppressor increased the length to just over a 33" steel broom stick hanging off the receiver. We hog hunted most of the night between ranches and covered almost 6 miles. Within hours I offered my buddy $10,000 to carry my rifle the rest of the night. My suppressor was not the right fit for my hunting application. Last hunt I took it on where walking was involved. I moved the suppressor to my 22" bolt action .243 win, again just too long to lug around while walking and hunting. For stand hunting it was great!

POA/POI was 2" low on my .243 win.

My buddy on the other hand has a AR-15 Mod 0 with Ops Inc suppressor which brings the total length of his rifle barrel to 18". This is the perfect fit/solution for a suppressor. Currently this suppressor is going on my Mod 0 .300 blackout SBR with 10" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in TX View Post
    I purchased a 19 oz Titanium suppressor for my AR-10 a few years ago. I was hoping for a love relationship with it and by the end of the first weekend it was total hatred! For shooting off the bench it was great the noise reduction was exactly what I was hoping for. Then I took it hunting and the hatred soon began! My DPMS AR-10 had a 24" bull barrel and adding a 9.75" suppressor increased the length to just over a 33" steel broom stick hanging off the receiver. We hog hunted most of the night between ranches and covered almost 6 miles. Within hours I offered my buddy $10,000 to carry my rifle the rest of the night. My suppressor was not the right fit for my hunting application. Last hunt I took it on where walking was involved. I moved the suppressor to my 22" bolt action .243 win, again just too long to lug around while walking and hunting. For stand hunting it was great!

POA/POI was 2" low on my .243 win.

My buddy on the other hand has a AR-15 Mod 0 with Ops Inc suppressor which brings the total length of his rifle barrel to 18". This is the perfect fit/solution for a suppressor. Currently this suppressor is going on my Mod 0 .300 blackout SBR with 10" barrel.

My 9.5" Griffin Armament RSTA is an over-the-barrel design so it's only an added 5.5" overall. Great suppression too.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMPD View Post
    My 9.5" Griffin Armament RSTA is an over-the-barrel design so it's only an added 5.5" overall. Great suppression too.

How much OAL does the muzzle device add to the weapon? For example, my 14.5" carbine with A2-esque muzzle device has a 16.1" OAL. What would that be with the Griffin device?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMPD View Post

Yep, first suppressor I've owned and I learned a lot of do's and don'ts moving forward. Next one will be an over the barrel design.