Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aint lost a pound

Aint lost a pound

Got a treadmill after the Christmas/New Years resolution rush. I have decided I am done with statins, they make my hands hurt. Well, I am on it pretty faithfully and havent lost a ounce. BP is better. Was running 140's /85-90, last time I took it it was 111/71, just now it is 129/72 with a resting pulse of 58.

I have been taking coq 10, red yeast rice, dr recommended brazil nuts, 6/week, a multi vit and doubled up on the glucosimine blend for the knees.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Re: Aint lost a pound

You may not have lost any weight, but are your pants fitting looser?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

That has got to put on muscle while losing some fat. Worst case-- the new activity is keeping your blood lipids in check.

I lost 50 pounds last year, took Christmas off and gained 10 pounds. Since then, I haven't lost crap, but I don't need to take the diabetes medication anymore on a lower carb diet. I am starting to get out of my winter slumber and getting more active again. Hopefully, I will begin to start losing soon.
    Вернём Америке былое величие

HArd to tell. With the weather, the extra layers have come off. Doesnt look like it though.

It definitely helped the skiing this year, what little there was of it, so there is forward momentum.

Weight loss is more about diet than exercise. You can't walk off a Big Mac.
    People who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    That has got to put on muscle while losing some fat. Worst case-- the new activity is keeping your blood lipids in check.

I lost 50 pounds last year, took Christmas off and gained 10 pounds. Since then, I haven't lost crap, but I don't need to take the diabetes medication anymore on a lower carb diet. I am starting to get out of my winter slumber and getting more active again. Hopefully, I will start losing again soon.
    That is another hope that the sugar goes down. With the family history, not likely going to dissapear, but I am going to avoid the needle like the plague. My worst was about 275-280. I changed diet and got to about where I am now. 256-259 (ALL THE TIME) I could carry 230 and look OK, 220 I would be in real good shape. I do 38 min with about 30 sec warmup, and a min cool down @4degree up angle, and 4.3 mph. So it isnt running, but it is humping. I think I am going to back down the angle a bit, knees are grumpy tonight.
    Last edited by Varmintmist; 03-02-2017 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    True, but when I am more active I tend to forget about or not have time for things... like lunch. The activity plus the ocassional missed meals helps quite a bit. Add in some downtime and nothing better to do than think about food, and I get into trouble. Plus with the extra exercise, I have found my blood sugar-- regardless of what I eat-- I can eat candy sugar bombs with syrup on top if I exercise after I eat and my blood sugar is perfect. Sit around like a slough and it shoots through the roof.

I havent been in a fast food place in a year. I had the first soda in a year 3 weeks ago. I do have a scotch once in a while. I got 2 cases of beer before I went to VT in Jan, 3 bottles are gone. Bfast is oatmeal with fruit, lunch is a small sandwich, bottom 1/2 of one of those skinny muffins, some lunch meat, 1 slice provolone, and the top is romain lettuce, 2 apples, 1 banana, and some almonds with a brazil nut mixed in. (pretty much every dang day)

Dinner is whatever the wife makes mostly. Normally not particularly healthy, but not awful. I make sure any cookies or junk sit out. That way the son AKA food black hole, will absorb most of them.

Cut out some of those carbs. You can substitute the bread in your sandwich for a low carb tortilla, oatmeal for a breakfast burrito (low carb tortilla, eggs, ham, sausage, cheese, peppers, onions, salsa), and substitute veggies for the fruit. There is no low carb "magic" happening, it just turns out that you are consuming less calories making those substitutes, and feel just as full.

So while I am not a dietitian, I did stay in Holiday Inn Express last night. And, I have ran several successful weight loss programs for Soldiers that have arrived to my unit in less than favorable standards. The, I didn't lose weight because I gained muscle is lie people tell themselves. You will lose fat first, you will see it in your face and neck first, and this will happen before you build muscle.

Weight loss is an equation. Pure and simple. For simple math sake, one pound of fat is equal to 3,600 calories. So, to lose that pound of fat, you have to create a calorie deficit of at least 3,600. You can do that a couple of ways. One is to eat a calorie deficit diet. Two is two exercise so that you are spending more than you are taking in. Three is to combine the two. I recommend the third. So how do you do it?

The first step is figure out what type of life style you live, active, lightly active, not active...And then figure out how many calories you need to maintain your current weight at your current life style. This link is a good SWAG to use : http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

The second step is to write down, in a notebook, EVERYTHING you put into your mouth and at what time. You have to be completely honest here. When you write it down, record the calorie count for that feeding period. This will show you where you are getting your calories.

the Third step is to take that eating log, and your calorie count, and break down a meal plan of about four-five feeding times a day at 20% deficit of what you require to maintain your weight. This does a few things. One, the break down of meals over a period keeps your body fed without going into a starvation mode. The other thing is it will keep you from overeating by going four -six hours between meals.

The fourth step, that you can actually do while doing steps 1-3 is to start exercising. Start slow, but for cardio, you goal time is 40 minutes at about 50% of your max heart rate ( 220-age= max heart rate). If you can add weight training also, that I is a plus. Weight training burns more calories that cardio. The two combined is awesome. the goal is to move your lifestyle measurement from one two the one above. So if you are active, you want to move to moderately active.

Diet - I am a fan of meats, fresh fruits/vegetables, and limited starches and grains... Because it works. Drop as much processed sugar as you can. Diet soda is just as bad as real soda. the goal is to adapt a life style to where the choices become natural. It is not that you can't have pizza nad wings, it is that you can't have a pizza and wings life style. You will get cravings. If you are craving a snickers, eat half a snickers and move on. If not you will eat an apple, a cup of grapes, and rice cake trying to kill that craving. And, in the end you ate more calories than what half a snickers would have been. Water - aim for at least 3/4 a gallon a day.

If you do this, and you are honest with yourself and committed. You will lose weight and you will start a better lifestyle.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Listen to me right now: completely and totally eliminate carbs and sugar and you will get IMMEDIATE results. I didn't realize how badly I was poisoning myself with junk until I made a firm commitment to eliminate carbs/sugar to the max extant possible. The wife and I gutted out house of all breads, candies, rice, etc. I stopped eating oatmeal in the AM and starting doing eggs and sausage. That's right: high fat foods that are too complex to be broken down quickly by the body. Ten pounds came off in under a month and I am never starving by lunch time like I used to be eating cereal/oatmeal. I have worked out a fraction of what I used to when I was heavier and am staying significantly lighter. Same for the wife. Interestingly, people who eat this way see their overall cholesterol jump, but see the far more important HDL/LDL ratio improve significantly.

Bottom line: sugar and carbs are the enemy. The food pyramid based on a carbohydrate-heavy diet that we were sold as kids was junk science and completely backwards. Every time you eat carbs/sugar, you blood sugar spikes. If you don't burn that blood sugar off within 3 hours, it's getting stored as fat. Ditch carbs/sugar and watch the weight fly off.
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 02-24-2017 at 04:15 PM.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Good news Pork Rinds.....no Carbs, but watch yer salt intake. Like canned soups some over 30% of suggested daily intake for 1 serving and there are usually 2 per can and who eats just 1/2 a can? Some have less like the Healthy Request marked one and others.............

I was taking 40 mg of a cholesterol med and my joints/bones were sore so the doc cut me back to 20, cut one in half, still good in the 120s (cholesterol). I gotta take it because of stents and tachycardia along with a low dose aspirin and a Beta Blocker daily. That is three pills and I don't wanna have to take any more daily if I can hep it.

Counting carbs/portions works. I have a 34" waist now was 38" a couple years ago.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

556 an Sixgun, good advice!! I've been seeing a nutritionist for the last two years to control BP and sugar. Still going the high protein no/low carb thing. Swim for exercise about 1/2-3/4 mile a day. So far have lost about 50 pounds/47 inchs and added 10 pounds of muscle. Went from 45" around the middle to 36". It's a slow process and requires a life style change and not just a quicky diet! Breads are the worst! I use P28 bread for my sandwichs, it has 28 grams of protein in two slices and tastes great, not like some air filled "diet" bread! https://www.p28foods.com/

I went through a one year period were I was stuck at a certain weight, but although I wasn't losing, my waste was getting smaller and muscles in my arms and legs shoulders bigger!
    Jumped on the scale yesterday was 198, first time under 200 since I retired from the AF!

There's good advice here.
    After four years it gets no easier. It remains very difficult, but its better than the alternative.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    556 an Sixgun, good advice!! I've been seeing a nutritionist for the last two years to control BP and sugar. Still going the high protein no/low carb thing. Swim for exercise about 1/2-3/4 mile a day. So far have lost about 50 pounds/47 inchs and added 10 pounds of muscle. Went from 45" around the middle to 36". It's a slow process and requires a life style change and not just a quicky diet! Breads are the worst! I use P28 bread for my sandwichs, it has 28 grams of protein in two slices and tastes great, not like some air filled "diet" bread! https://www.p28foods.com/

I went through a one year period were I was stuck at a certain weight, but although I wasn't losing, my waste was getting smaller and muscles in my arms and legs shoulders bigger!
    Jumped on the scale yesterday was 198, first time under 200 since I retired from the AF!
    Al -

We're living practically the same life, man. Bread is absolutely the enemy that we have been conditioned to associate with just about every meal. Worse, you don't realize how downright addicted you are to it until you try to go without it. There's a reason that they sneak starch, high fructose corn syrup and sugar into so many foods. The food industry wants repeat customers and they know exactly what they are doing. It is *the* cause of the obesity epidemic. I had intense craving for it (and sugary stuff) for about 2 weeks before my body realized it wasn't going to get its fix. Once I powered through that small time window, it was all good. Today, I can look right past breads of all kinds any day of the week and just shrug. If you have to have some bread, the low carb stuff you mentioned works great. We *occasionally* use the low carb breads for a rare (like once a month) sandwich and it's definitely good.

The best part of the low/no carb deal is that I don't even bother tracking calories anymore because I simply don't eat as much. You stay perpetually satiated because protein/fat-rich food has substance. I used to track calories on the Myfitnesspal app, but it just hasn't been necessary. The pounds are staying off and when I start training for my PT test here in the next month, I'm certain to see even more weight disappear. It's a good place to be.
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 02-24-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Six-gun,

You are right, once you adopt a better lifestyle, you stop counting are tracking calories. It comes natural and you know where you blind spots are.

I am the opposite. When I "go lean" in my diet and stick to just meat, veggies, and fruit I am hungry all the damn time. But I don't gain. But I am eating every three hours or so. Of course, I also run at least 25 miles a week and lift 6 days a week.

I know that bread, most grains, sugars, and potatoes are not my friends. Without them I can get easily get down to about 12% BF. With them, because I like to eat and drink sweet tea, I stay around 18%.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

centermass -

Add in more fat. That's key to keeping the hunger away. Do I add butter or coconut oil to my coffee in the AM? Yep. It works. Look up "bulletproof coffee." Give it a shot. It makes a difference.

Truth.

I lost 70 lbs in 9 months going low carb, high protein, high leafy veggie. I have put a bit back on over the holiday/ birthday/ valentines evil time but should be back down in a couple months just in time for mankini season.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Oh, and cut out all sodas. Not even diet ones. Coffee black, no sugar is ok.

And drink a BUNCH of water. It keeps you full, and helps you piss away weight. Take your body weight in pounds, divide by two, and that is the amount (in ounces) of water you should drink in a day.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Agree completely about excercise never fully compensating for a poor diet. I have subscribed to a similar saying for a while now: "you can't outrun your mouth."
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 02-24-2017 at 09:21 PM.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

I am holding between 190-194; mostly 192. Salt is not my friend since a salty meal means the upper range of the weight range
    I eat what I want, though not chips and the like; but, do pig out on deserts if available.

I eat a lot of nuts, but, not Brazil nuts since the saturated fat is higher in them than other nuts and take a tablespoon of psyllium a day.

Just went to the Dr, cholesterol 168 with bad at 108.

My BP varies 111-134/ 56-70 pulse 70 or lower usually mid 60's. I do take BP meds.

I do take glucosamine and think it works; but, am not willing to not take it and see if the knee issues come back.

We walk 2.3 miles a day wx permitting-----rained today.

Me in 2010, at about 250, years of bad eating habits!! The guy I'm shaking hands with is Gen. Steve Richie, Sixgun will know who he is!

This is today at about 200!

Quote Originally Posted by Not so big anymore Al1 View Post
    Fixed it for you. Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    Me in 2010, at about 250, years of bad eating habits!! The guy I'm shaking hands with is Gen. Steve Richie, Sixgun will know who he is!

This is today at about 200!

That's amazing, Al! You got it figured out. Oh, and I definitely know who Brig Gen Richie is. Combat stud!

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    That's amazing, Al! You got it figured out. Oh, and I definitely know who Brig Gen Richie is. Combat stud!
    Combat stud in an F-4!!

I have struggled with my weight forever and have been gaining all I lost in the last 2 years. I really commend Al, it has been much harder to lose as I have gotten older but this week I started back on the low carb diet again. Great advice on here, the only advice I would add I have to pack a lunch so I use Romaine? lettuce for the bread for a sandwich, works pretty good. Diet pop that is my thing I struggle with, would zero calorie sports drinks be any better?

Quote Originally Posted by kansashunter View Post
    I have struggled with my weight forever and have been gaining all I lost in the last 2 years. I really commend Al, it has been much harder to lose as I have gotten older but this week I started back on the low carb diet again. Great advice on here, the only advice I would add I have to pack a lunch so I use Romaine? lettuce for the bread for a sandwich, works pretty good. Diet pop that is my thing I struggle with, would zero calorie sports drinks be any better?
    Water or unsweetened tea (the way God intended it to be consumed) would be better and cheaper.
    People who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

unsweetened tea (the way God intended it to be consumed) would be better and cheaper.
    This. I used to be a Diet Coke addict. It took some time, and I finally got to were it was only one can in the morning. A couple days after I quit it for good, I haven't missed it since.

Get yourself one of these, bring 35 bags of Red Rose tea to a boil with a gallon of water, let it steep for a good 15 minutes or an hour. Strain/squeeze out the bags, pour the tea into the container and then add a gallon of cold water and toss it in the fridge. I usually fill a 54oz Bubba Keg half way with ice and fill it up with iced tea. It will stay cold most of the day that way and guess what? It doesn't go flat like soda does!