Thread: Scouting for a night time pig hunt.

Scouting for a night time pig hunt.

It's post-deer season so the rancher friend of mine has me back at the task of pig blasting.

I scouted the field of doom and it's rich with rooting and even a wallow. These porkers are calling the east side of this field home. It'll be a cemetery in a few weeks. I guess last year didn't teach them a thing.

The camo is solid. Looks like a shrub with a suppressor on it. Haha.

This is a good coyote property too since the rancher leases pastures to nearby ranchers for cattle to birth calves and whatnot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." -Ronald Reagan on the economic philosophy of big government.

Re: Scouting for a night time pig hunt.

Fun times.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Looks like good times ahead.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

good hunting
    "The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event." -----SECDEF

Looks like you are ready. Happy Hunting
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Look at picking up a red spot light such as the Sniper Hog light. It will mount on your rail and throw a red beam a few hundred yards. It's a total game changer and extends your hunting time? Hog hunting at night is just plain fun!

http://www.sniperhawglights.com/38LR.../38rlxghp1.htm

Make it really interesting......................

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in TX View Post
    Look at picking up a red spot light such as the Sniper Hog light. It will mount on your rail and throw a red beam a few hundred yards. It's a total game changer and extends your hunting time? Hog hunting at night is just plain fun!

http://www.sniperhawglights.com/38LR.../38rlxghp1.htm

Thanks for the link. We've used this company before and their stuff works well. Probably the same point of origin and different branding.

http://shop.gregmcgeeengineering.com/main.sc

"If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." -Ronald Reagan on the economic philosophy of big government.

That, or green lights over the feeder.

"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDanS View Post
    That, or green lights over the feeder.

A green stationary light over the feeders is what we use. However, hogs see the green and will get used to it. We started out with green lights on our scopes and 100% of the time when the green light hit the hogs they took off like a bat out of heck! After talking with our game biologist he said red spot lights are the best and we switched and never looked back. It seems only the solitary boars don't like the red light especially if you hit them with a highest power beam. I actually have a flip up scope cap on my red light. The cap has a cats eye cut out the length of the scope cap expanding to a 1/4" in the center. This really helps restrict the amount of light I throw out. Any yes I have an adjustable beam red light but my scope cap greatly helps. Large herds of pigs seem to careless about the red lights.

Just our observations of hunting these critters as we continue to evolve our hunting practices as technology improves. One day I'll have a thermal scope when I can afford one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in TX View Post
    A green stationary light over the feeders is what we use. However, hogs see the green and will get used to it. We started out with green lights on our scopes and 100% of the time when the green light hit the hogs they took off like a bat out of heck! After talking with our game biologist he said red spot lights are the best and we switched and never looked back. It seems only the solitary boars don't like the red light especially if you hit them with a highest power beam. I actually have a flip up scope cap on my red light. The cap has a cats eye cut out the length of the scope cap expanding to a 1/4" in the center. This really helps restrict the amount of light I throw out. Any yes I have an adjustable beam red light but my scope cap greatly helps. Large herds of pigs seem to careless about the red lights.

Just our observations of hunting these critters as we continue to evolve our hunting practices as technology improves. One day I'll have a thermal scope when I can afford one.

IR Defense makes a superb thermal scope. Looked through it at SHOT show and fell in love. She's an expensive date though at about $6000.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMPD View Post
    IR Defense makes a superb thermal scope. Looked through it at SHOT show and fell in love. She's an expensive date though at about $6000.

Please please please Uncle Jason will you buy me one! please!