Thread: Fav 223 deer bullet?

Fav 223 deer bullet?

Since PA is going semi, and it will probably not be caliber restricted, so there is a good chance that the AR will come out at some point. What are some of the preferred deer bullets out of a 223R?

I am leaning to the Sierra GK @65gr simply because of the success I have had with GK's in everything else I have tried them in.

No rush, I have a trapdoor to blood first.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Re: Fav 223 deer bullet?

I can speak for nonothers but the ones I've successfully used. Of those, I like the 62/64gr Gold Dot, 77gr SMK, and 80gr A-Max the best.

I'm sure there are plenty others will do the job.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

The only .223 bullet I have used on deer has been the 62gr Federal Fusion. It works great.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

The only .223 bullet I have used on deer has been the 64gr Nosler Bonded. It works great. I got ~ 30" of penetration from ~150 yards away on a quartering shot

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Varmintmist View Post
    Since PA is going semi, and it will probably not be caliber restricted, so there is a good chance that the AR will come out at some point. What are some of the preferred deer bullets out of a 223R?

I am leaning to the Sierra GK @65gr simply because of the success I have had with GK's in everything else I have tried them in.

No rush, I have a trapdoor to blood first.
    Only results I've seen in person have been from the very bullet you listed. Of the 3 I've seen taken with it, they all dropped quickly. . And the wound channel has been impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

I load 70 grain Barnes Triple Shock over a max load of Varget, for my 20" 1:8 heavy barrel. I have never tried it on deer, yet, but I was impressed with what I saw it do to a couple, in a 55 grain factory load. Also, it shoots 0.5 MOA when selecting the best seven out of ten shots, @100 yards. These loads also shoot MOA from my 16" pencil barrel 1:7.

Why the one I've personally seen take the most deer, the 70 grain Speer semi spitzer of course. That bullet has been taking deer for 50 years. It's a semi Spitzer so it's not a long range bullet, but out to 150-200 yards it will kill. And my god if you want to kill deer at 300-400 yards get a bigger cartridge. But for normal ranges this bullet is a death ray. Seriously!
    It expands but stays together. A really great bullet.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    I can speak for nonothers but the ones I've successfully used. Of those, I like the 62/64gr Gold Dot, 77gr SMK, and 80gr A-Max the best.

I'm sure there are plenty others will do the job.
    I think that is true for all of us. We can only vouch for what we've had luck with. There's a hundred good bullets out there nowadays. Bullet design has improved 10 fold in the last 40 years.

But I think it all boils down to what is aways said here, Shot Placement is most important.
    Last edited by snake284; 03-26-2017 at 04:41 AM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.