Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting feral hogs from choppers

Shooting feral hogs from choppers

I watched a show last night that featured shooting feral hogs from helicopters. Most of the participants were wounded vets, and the whole affair was part of some sort of appreciation for their service to the country. They killed a LOT of pigs, as well as a few coyotes.

I'll have to say, it looked like a hoot. Perhaps the ethics of this is questionable, but I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could. I suspect it cost a pretty penny to do this, and don't know that I want to participate that badly, though.

Anyway, just wondering what others thought of this practice. I think the event was in south Texas, where there's an out of control pig population and hunting them from a chopper is legal.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Re: Shooting feral hogs from choppers

Sounds like a gimmick- - - -I wonder what it costs to run that chopper and pay a pilot skillful enough to herd pigs with it? I don't have any concern for the "ethics" of it- - - -feral hogs are sort of overgrown rats that do a lot of crop damage, and probably carry some nasty diseases as well.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    Just an old fart making the PC Patrol earn their pay!

If it reduces the number of hogs, I'm all for it.

I've seen some of those shows and/or videos about it, It DOES look like it would be something FUN.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I read on another blog that the cost was around $1,700.00 an hour....that's expensive pork!

That's almost as expensive as the 2 pounds of hamburger I "win" every year at the York shoot!
    Jerry

I am not sure that is most efficient way but killing is killing. I was told not to long ago that somebody came up with the idea to actually start putting a dent in the pig population in Texas hunters need to kill 4 out of 5 feral they see. The man told me the gestation period was 3 months with and average litter of 8 piglets and females can breed at 6 months. There is even talk about Texas allowing poisoning? I am not much on the idea of introducing a poison into the ecological equation due to the chance it travels down the chain but I guess the Texas Game Wardens have something to do with it and they'd have something going that would help.

Anyway, with the smaller pig problem even here in NC I don't think it matters if you take out a couple at a time you gotta take out number and if there are guys willing to pay for helicopter hijinks and take out a bunch of Porkys I say have at it!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

What was interesting is that the show featuring shooting pigs from choppers was followed by an episode of "Meat Eater". On the "Meat Eater" episode, Steve Rinella was in south Texas, about 8 miles from the Texas-Mexico border with a man who trapped hogs. To date, this guy has trapped nearly 5000 hogs.

The upshot is that trapping is far more efficient at putting a dent in hog populations than hunting is. Both shows were interesting.
    Jerry

Trapping reaches a point of diminishing returns pretty quickly as a local population of pigs becomes trap-wise. The young, dumb ones get trapped and removed, and the older ones get smart in a hurry. Then shooting becomes the only option other than poison.
    Jerry

The State did some helicopter population control a few miles from my parents a couple years ago. My cousin lived right in the area where this was done. He said the pigs disappeared for all of two weeks.

Helicopters are way more effective than hunters but it seems the guys who trap an entire sounder and eliminate it would be more effective.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

I don't know if this is true or not, but once before the idea of shooting from an aircraft came up...maybe here, but I don't think so. At any rate, a while back. The laws were very strict about firing from an aircraft at that time. I'm sure exceptions are made, but I doubt it's as simple as renting a chopper without another care in the world.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBobCo View Post
    I watched a show last night that featured shooting feral hogs from helicopters. Most of the participants were wounded vets, and the whole affair was part of some sort of appreciation for their service to the country. They killed a LOT of pigs, as well as a few coyotes.

I'll have to say, it looked like a hoot. Perhaps the ethics of this is questionable, but I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could. I suspect it cost a pretty penny to do this, and don't know that I want to participate that badly, though.

Anyway, just wondering what others thought of this practice. I think the event was in south Texas, where there's an out of control pig population and Culling them from a chopper is legal.
    FIFY

Dealing with problem animals like feral hogs, in my view falls into the category of culling. Some, if not all the ethics and rules governing hunting are suspended.

I agree, with your 'hoot' comment. Having carried out culls from a variety of powered conveyances ( unfortunately not a helicopter though) it is actually harder than most people think. It changes a lot of the variables like holdover and 'lead' etc and is based more on quick reactions and reflexes rather than a 'studied' approach to taking the shot.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Alec...did not New Zealand ,at sometime in the distant past, resort to culling deer by machine gunning them from the air?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

I knew a LEO in Australia who culled goats from a helicopter. A government thing.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    Alec...did not New Zealand ,at sometime in the distant past, resort to culling deer by machine gunning them from the air?
    Not with machine guns..........semi autos from helicopters.

This link is to a 4 part doco called Deer Wars which is worth a watch if you have the time............

https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/deer-wars-2007
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Got a hog problem? Call for a warthog- - - - -A-10 style!
    Jerry

or even a nice little Spectre
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
    Not with machine guns..........semi autos from helicopters.

This link is to a 4 part doco called Deer Wars which is worth a watch if you have the time............

https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/deer-wars-2007
    Thank you...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

jgunpilot flying the helicopter and an M-60 in my hands, where do I sign up?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

I've known a few Huey door gunners who could handle the problem pretty quickly!
    Jerry

If farmers and ranchers were really serious about getting rid of or lowering the numbers of hogs, they could have never let them get out of hand. But their personal greed ruined it. There's a many a poor boy here that could shoot plenty of hogs if the land owners didn't want a ransom to let people hunt hogs. I $500 a year to hunt them. But you try those numbers on some of our local aristocracy and see how far you get. Yeah, some people will cause some damage because they don't care, but not as much damage as 50 or 100 hogs will cause.

One thing, I'm strictly against poisoning them. Helicopters are almost as efficient and offer far less risk. I know a guy that uses Golden Malrin Fly Killer to get rid of coons, but he's also killed a few deer and some dogs too.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    If farmers and ranchers were really serious about getting rid of or lowering the numbers of hogs, they could have never let them get out of hand. But their personal greed ruined it. There's a many a poor boy here that could shoot plenty of hogs if the land owners didn't want a ransom to let people hunt hogs. I $500 a year to hunt them. But you try those numbers on some of our local aristocracy and see how far you get. Yeah, some people will cause some damage because they don't care, but not as much damage as 50 or 100 hogs will cause.

One thing, I'm strictly against poisoning them. Helicopters are almost as efficient and offer far less risk. I know a guy that uses Golden Malrin Fly Killer to get rid of coons, but he's also killed a few deer and some dogs too.
    As long as folks are willing to pay high prices to hunt hogs, so called greedy farmers and ranchers are going to take advantage of it. They're not in business to provide you a place to hunt. Also, there are some (maybe most of them at one time or another) who need the extra income to make through a bad year. You only see one side of the equation.

I know a woman who owns a ranch in eastern Colorado. She raises cattle, and lives in a very modest house out in the middle of nowhere. Her son is also a rancher, and lives in a house that looks like it wouldn't survive a good puff of wind. The last time I talked to her, she told me that when her husband died, she was $1,000,000 in debt. The myth of rich ranchers is often just that. A myth.

I know that it sucks to not have a place to hunt because you can't afford it. But, like everything else, there's two sides to this coin.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBobCo View Post
    As long as folks are willing to pay high prices to hunt hogs, so called greedy farmers and ranchers are going to take advantage of it. They're not in business to provide you a place to hunt. Also, there are some (maybe most of them at one time or another) who need the extra income to make through a bad year. You only see one side of the equation.

I know a woman who owns a ranch in eastern Colorado. She raises cattle, and lives in a very modest house out in the middle of nowhere. Her son is also a rancher, and lives in a house that looks like it wouldn't survive a good puff of wind. The last time I talked to her, she told me that when her husband died, she was $1,000,000 in debt. The myth of rich ranchers is often just that. A myth.

I know that it sucks to not have a place to hunt because you can't afford it. But, like everything else, there's two sides to this coin.
    Hunting hogs is not the same issue as hunting deer. These are the same people that bitch and moan daily about hogs. Yet when you ask them if you can shoot them to help with their problem they want you to pay them like you were going on African Safari.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Hunting hogs is not the same issue as hunting deer. These are the same people that bitch and moan daily about hogs. Yet when you ask them if you can shoot them to help with their problem they want you to pay them like you were going on African Safari.
    You're not getting my point. AS LONG AS SOMEONE IS WILLING TO PAY, THEY ARE WILLING TO TAKE THEIR MONEY. It's simple economics. If others stay away in droves, the farmers and ranchers will lower their prices. It's those people who pay a lot of money to hunt hogs that make it so expensive for you.
    Jerry

Land-poor is a term that has meaning. Don't take part of their income. If someone is willing to pay, someone else is willing to collect.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

As to farmers learning last year one farmer in GA lost over 30% of his peanut crop over night! Apparently hogs don't mess with a peanut until it is just about right and then they plow the field like tractors. They start at one end of a row and root down that row wiping out everything. This year he has already lined up help and has setup small ambush areas he plans the bait 'em in and gun 'me down.
    - George Orwell

I have no problem with them killing pigs this way
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Don't be an ass clown. Make friends.

I currently have 4 ranchers/farmers that have given me free range to kill the pigs on their places. I help them out and take care of their place, saving them money and gaining a place to hunt in the process. But, it started with an introduction and recommendation from a mutual friend. Then, a friendly meeting and conversation. From there it budded into an acquaintance or friendship and finally, an opportunity.

When planting season gets in full swing, I have more opportunity than I can shake a stick at.

Because I met people and was personable.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

Because I met people and was personable.
    Well, you fooled the woman you married, so I suppose fooling someone who doesn't have to live under the same roof is child's play in comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Doesn't shooting hogs from a chopper make it a little hard to aim? Let's hope it's not a hard-tail!

Jerry

Just mount a Ma Deuce between the handle bars...