Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about case cleaners.

Re: Talk to me about case cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    I'm actually planning on building one. Had the motor for years, and it's WAY bigger than it needs to be. Had the idea forever, and actually two days ago was at bass pro scoping out the different models, aka stealing their ideas. Should be easy to do. I'm betting I can easily churn up a 5 gallon bucket of brass....
    5 gallon bucket+ extra large "marital aid"= Homemade brass tumbler.
    Вернём Америке былое величие

To answer Zee's question....

I got a Lyman that is probably over 30 years old and it keeps on going. I also have one from Harbor Freight. They both work fine and are darn near the same exact thing. Any of the vibratory case cleaners will work. If I was going to buy another, I would buy the cheapest one with the capacity I wanted.
    Вернём Америке былое величие

Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    Oh, yeah. That's a biggie.
    Not to get into the big discussion on lead from fired lead bullets left in cases and lead from primers in the dust from a tumbler..............again, plenty out there already.

Maybe that extra bowl solid lid fits and the one with holes is for sifting.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

I use corncob in my Lyman vibratory cleaner. Rouge will make them shinier, but leaves a residue on the case.

Make sure you crank down the lid well or it will vibrate loose.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Specifically, the vibratory kind like the Lyman Turbos or similar.

I don't need one for my rifle cases. I keep them pretty clean and taken care of. But, since I've now started reloading handgun ammo and especially semi-auto cases, I've noticed they get pretty dirty. I've gotten by ok, but they could use some cleaning.

The REAL reason I've taken to looking at case cleaners is mostly because I've started loadin for the .45 ACP.

Well, it seems folks at my gun club like to stand in one place and burn through a couple boxes of .45 ACP ammo and kindly leave the cases in a relative pile on the ground.

Finding them a few days later or after a rain, they can sometimes be pretty dirty. But, when I can pick up 50-200 of them at a time...........why not?!?

I also find a lot of .357 Mag cases.

Anyway, I don't want shiny. I want clean. So that I can run them through my sizing dies. I won't do it until they are clean because all the dust and dirt and grime can ruin/scratch my dies.

So, it will mostly be for handgun cases. Educate me on vibration case cleaners and the media used.

Thanks.
    I have the Frankfort Arsenal vibrator and it works great. But the main message from me, if you're more interested in clean inside and out use the walnut medium. It's harder and seems to clean inside better. After that, if you want em shiney, which I could care less, just follow up with Pecan shells and some of that liquid polisher.

I meant corn cob media, not pecan.
    Last edited by snake284; 03-09-2017 at 03:02 AM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    To answer Zee's question....

I got a Lyman that is probably over 30 years old and it keeps on going. I also have one from Harbor Freight. They both work fine and are darn near the same exact thing. Any of the vibratory case cleaners will work. If I was going to buy another, I would buy the cheapest one with the capacity I wanted.
    They have one old man and his seven sons and 6 daughters making the one model vibrator in the world in China. His sons help him put them together while his sweet daughters label them Lyman, RCBS, or Frankford Arsenal or whetever else brand you want. These people are busy.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

One thing, sort the brass BEFORE tumbling. Like a 9mm will fit inside a .45, don't do that. The tumbler will lock them tighter than a bulls ass at fly time.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Boy Deuce View Post
    One thing, sort the brass BEFORE tumbling. Like a 9mm will fit inside a .45, don't do that. The tumbler will lock them tighter than a bulls ass at fly time.
    This
    People who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

I tumble after resizing-decapping. I have a cutting torch tip cleaner I use to clean the media out of the flash holes. Works good and doesn't take much longer. But I like to tumbel after depriming to clean out the primer pockets. Even if I tumbed first I'd still clean each flash hole with the tool.

Unless you plan on swapping bowls, save your $$. The other (smaller) bowl is probably just going to end up sitting on a shelf somewhere taking up space.

I buy the cheaper Frankford media (15# bucket)
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/21...media-corn-cob
    Plus you get a 2-2.5 gallon bucket to keep stuff in later

edited to add: I couldn't tell you with the lid to my tumbler is, if my life depended on it. So go with the sifting lid
    Last edited by knitepoet; 03-09-2017 at 03:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    5 gallon bucket+ extra large "marital aid"= Homemade brass tumbler.
    Not enough vibration. I haven't tried it, but am certain it wouldn't work. Unless you have one that's 120 volts. The one that goes to eleven. Or has the "who needs a man?" Setting.

How about a lyman turbo 1200 free +shipping?

Sako

I have been using the Dillon CV-2001 for just about 15 years with no complaints at all. The sucker is HUGE, and if you're going to be collecting large amounts of pistol brass, it will handle the payload with gusto. It will do the equivalent of 1,300 .38/.357 cases per hours.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/dill...8_8_23658.html

One caution I have with collecting salvage .45 cases from the range: only grab fresh-looking stuff. Brass that has been stepped on may go out of round and not feed properly, and .45 ACP brass is particularly susceptible to this because of how big it is. Years back, I had FTF issues with my reloads using an otherwise healthy 1911. I thought something was wrong with the gun. I even sent it back to the manufacturer to have it checked. It still had issues feeding my reloads. Then, one day I put a few pieces of unloaded, range-salvaged brass into a case gauge and discovered that the cases wouldn't go in because they were bent! They were loaded just fine in the press with mechanical force, but wouldn't go into the chamber properly via slide inertia. I chucked all of the salvaged .45 cases I had laying around and started collecting fresh brass. It has never been an issue since.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    I have been using the Dillon CV-2001 for just about 15 years with no complaints at all. The sucker is HUGE, and if you're going to be collecting large amounts of pistol brass, it will handle the payload with gusto. It will do the equivalent of 1,300 .38/.357 cases per hours.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/dill...8_8_23658.html

One caution I have with collecting salvage .45 cases from the range: only grab fresh-looking stuff. Brass that has been stepped on may go out of round and not feed properly, and .45 ACP brass is particularly susceptible to this because of how big it is. Years back, I had FTF issues with my reloads using an otherwise healthy 1911. I thought something was wrong with the gun. I even sent it back to the manufacturer to have it checked. It still had issues feeding my reloads. Then, one day I put a few pieces of unloaded, range-salvaged brass into a case gauge and discovered that the cases wouldn't go in because they were bent! They were loaded just fine in the press with mechanical force, but wouldn't go into the chamber properly via slide inertia. I chucked all of the salvaged .45 cases I had laying around and started collecting fresh brass. It has never been an issue since.
    It did that even after resizing?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    You may wanna solid lid one to keep down on dust as it tumbles.
    I can make a solid lid.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Get a small cement mixer, add water and car wash soap and some lemishine. 10,000 cases at a whack
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Pop bought a Thumler's Ultra Vibe 18 30 years ago or darn close to it, and it's still chugging along just fine - it's been run. . .A LOT.

He uses Lyman media mostly - I believe mixing walnut shell with corn cob. Periodically pours in a bit of rubbing alcohol to help the media do it's thing.

Dillon's "Bingo cage" media separator is worth having. We got along for years with a pair of 5 gallon buckets stacked with the bottom cut out of the one on top and a purpose-built plastic screen between the two. It works, but it ain't optimal.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Anybody ever tried nylon mesh bags in a dishwasher and then throw in a pillow and put it in the dryer? I guess the lead possibility would scare off most folks, but I bet that's overblown, like everything else environmental. I haven't tried it because the cheapest tumblers and a salad dryer work well enough, but have wondered about it.

I can make a solid lid.
    I have the grated lid Lyman, never had any trouble with dust. I keep my media kinda moist with Fitz, no worries. When it starts making lots of dust, the media is shot. Change it.
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    It did that even after resizing?
    Yup. The sizer die forced them it, but they would spring back to their misshapen form as soon as they came back out.

One other thing to bear in mind about corn cob vs walnut.

It doesnt really matter. Both will clean your brass. That 6lb container will last you a long time even at your volume of shooting, so dont sweat the petty stuff.

As a tumbler goes, the wife, who is known for blurting out whatever comes into her head, any where, let me know that mine was on. At the time as a young couple we lived in a trailer, the tumbler was in the BR closest to the rd happily cleaning a bunch of 06, both trailers to the right and left were matronly ladies. We are headed out to eat one summer evening and the wife is in the middle of the road to get into the passenger side of the pickup. She then bellows, "Hon, you left the vibrator on!"
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

^^They had to love that.

I kinda like the one with the drain. Heck I have two extra ones in the garage, I need to look closer at them. One is a Lyman it may have that.

But the kit with the bucket, collar for the colander like basket that you pour the brass from the tumbler into, close it together and spin really gets the media out of the brass. Even has a handle you can use.

When I was keeping two households before I retired, it did get noisy inside apartments. Once I even tried putting a large cardboard box over the thing, it muffled the sound good, but got rather warm inside.

These days at home now, I open the garage door and let it rip. It is close to the door where I tumble and I have sliding screens to keep out FLA bugs and stray cats and raccoons and my cats in.

I do get some dust when I'm separating the media from the brass as I spin the basket around. I have put an old T-shirt over it as I did it until the dust settled, little awkward. Have thought about using a disposable medical mask, but not real worried about it.

As they say, don't lick yer fingers or pick yer nose after doing it. Wash your hands and blow yer nose.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

I use an ultrasonic and love it. It's quiet and works well I have even stripped pistols down and three in parts. Works good for jewelerybalso

I've used an ultrasonic before. Works excellent for cleaning. But the juice for them is expensive. However I'm guessing one could save a lot with a home brew soloution, it can't be rocket science.

I've used the ultra sonic.

Expensive bastards!!! That, and the cleaning/drying is kind of a pain. I have access to one if I really want to use it. But, I usually reserve that for gun parts.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

I've used the ultra sonic.

Expensive bastards!!! That, and the cleaning/drying is kind of a pain. I have access to one if I really want to use it. But, I usually reserve that for gun parts.
    What you posted here is exactly why I didn't bother getting an ultrasonic. The drying part, in particular, just seems like an added PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    What you posted here is exactly why I didn't bother getting an ultrasonic. The drying part, in particular, just seems like an added PITA.
    And old towel or sheet, a sunny day and time. Not much of a PITA if you're not in a hurry. You go do other stuff while nature does its thing

If I am in a hurry, either a coffee can and a hair dryer or a large pan and a warm oven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    And old towel or sheet, a sunny day and time. Not much of a PITA if you're not in a hurry. You go do other stuff while nature does its thing

If I am in a hurry, either a coffee can and a hair dryer or a large pan and a warm oven.
    Yup. Don't even need an ultrasonic cleaner. I used to clean mine with liquid case cleaner. The stuff made for those things. Don't remember which brand I used. Maybe RCBS. I'd get a few thousand pieces of brass together to clean, set up a big pot on the turkey fryer burner, get the garden hose over there and set up a table covered with old towels. Put water and a few ounces of cleaner in the pot and heat it up till near boiling, but not quite. Put the brass in one of those pasta cooker things that goes in the pot and dunk it in. Wait about 5 minutes, shake the brass around good and let it soak another few minutes. Take it out, rinse off the brass with the hose, dump them on the towels and spread them out and do the next batch. Let them dry in the sun. At that point, they were clean inside and out. But I liked them shiney. So I put them in the tumbler for 10 minutes are so. Came out almost brand new looking. Could easily skip the tumbler part. I've just gotten lazy about it. I'd rather put them in the tumbler and come back later.

When I stopped tumbling in the garage, lead in my blood went down 33% in 6 months.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician