Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about case cleaners.

Re: Talk to me about case cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAAK View Post
    When I stopped tumbling in the garage, lead in my blood went down 33% in 6 months.
    Are you required to get it tested because of your work environment? I ask because we service a place that recycles batteries, and he has to be tested monthly.
    People who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    And old towel or sheet, a sunny day and time. Not much of a PITA if you're not in a hurry. You go do other stuff while nature does its thing

If I am in a hurry, either a coffee can and a hair dryer or a large pan and a warm oven.

This...I use a wet tumbler.

De-prime, wet tumble, spin in a media separator, roll around in a beach towel for a few seconds and air dry the rest of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I am only an average man but, by George, I work harder at it than the average man.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Are you required to get it tested because of your work environment? I ask because we service a place that recycles batteries, and he has to be tested monthly.
    No, just wanted to know. Was not terrible 12 but now 8
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Bamaak do you cast your own bullets or shoot/reload a lot of "Lead" bullets? Anywhere else you may have been exposed to lead like indoor range shootin?

One reason I like jacketed/plated/poly coated bullets is the obvious just from handling and reloading them, my hands and fingers aren't covered in lead. I know lead has to be melted or in dust for anyone to breathe it in or worse yet ingested by somehow eating it.

We can go round n round the mulberry bush on the dangers or no dangers of lead bullets/handling/cleaning/casting and firing them and what environment it is done in with a 100 examples both pro and con on the health effects.

One guy may say he has been casting for 30 years and has normal or no lead in tests, another may say he works or shoots a lot in indoor AND outdoor ranges and has dangerous levels, others none.

Any other changes in your habits around lead that you changed that may have have had an influence in your blood lead levels?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

I reload lead bullets but not that many, 150 or so a month. Lots of lead in the air at SASS matches. I now wear gloves when I load lead and started taking zinc. Supposed to help flush it for you. Also shoot lots of lead .22s and at a couple .22 matches a month. Rarely shoot indoors.

Interesting comments here on lead free primers vs std ones..........among other lead related comments.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...onents.613220/
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

Are copper .22 bullets fully coated including the bases? Unless bullets like for the .45 ACP say Total Copper/TMJ plated the bases have a big part with exposed lead. I have a bunch of Rem 230 hardball FMJ bullets with exposed lead at the center of the bases.

I reload lead bullets but not that many, 150 or so a month. Lots of lead in the air at SASS matches. I now wear gloves when I load lead and started taking zinc. Supposed to help flush it for you. Also shoot lots of lead .22s and at a couple .22 matches a month. Rarely shoot indoors.
    Worthless trivia, lead and zinc come from the EXACT same rocks. Copper too.

Has anyone on here who cast bullets had their lead levels checked over time with a baseline to start and compare years of doing it and stopping with having all other factors like work/home environment the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    Has anyone on here who cast bullets had their lead levels checked over time with a baseline to start and compare years of doing it and stopping with having all other factors like work/home environment the same?
    Are you suggesting that if I go to pee and #8 shot comes out, I should back off the casting for a bit?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    Are you suggesting that if I go to pee and #8 shot comes out, I should back off the casting for a bit?
    I remember back in the 60s one of my brothers ordered Duck at a restaurant and spit out a mouth full of lead shot, hard on the teeth, I reckon.

Nope, I'm not gonna try tell folks what to do with the possibility of "Lead Poisoning" from their reloading and shootin hobbies because (like me) they gonna continue doing what they do............no matter what anyhow.

I remember back in the 60s one of my brothers ordered Duck at a restaurant and spit out a mouth full of lead shot, hard on the teeth, I reckon.
    Yikes! That's funny, but I guarantee you it ain't nowhere NEAR as bad as biting into modern STEEL shot. I nearly cracked a tooth biting into a piece of #2 shot lodged in goose meat from a bird that I shot. It doesn't help that with less energy, steel shot is even more likely to get trapped in the meat instead of pass through.
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 03-09-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Yes, multiple times, level has always been WNL
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

So, a pretty cool guy on this forum sent me his Lyman Turbo 1200. I am one with gratefulness.

Unboxed it this afternoon and already had the Frankford Arsenal Corn Cob Media and Case Polish on hand from Midway as suggested here.

I had a container of range pick up .45 ACP brass ready to go.

Poured in the polish and let it run for the 4 minutes recommended. It didn't mix enough with the cob and remained clumpy, so I stirred it with my hands and crushed some of the larger clumps.

After an hour and a half, this is what the pistol brass looks like.

Not bad for 1.5 hours! I've added some .243 Win brass to the mix. They aren't that dirty as I take care of my rifle brass. But, I want to see if there is much difference after polish.

So, here they are going into the mix.

Going to give them a few more hours.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Don't sweat the clumpy polishing goo. It will unclump Whilst tumbling.

And for what it is worth...

I use a wall type timer used for lights to automatically turn mine off. Sometimes for a large batch of dirty brass I will start it at 8 PM, set it for 5 or 6 hours and go to bed.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Sitting in my cave on that rug, it's not very loud at all. Just a dull hum. Pretty cool.

At the recommendation of my budy at the LGS, I picked up one of those FA media separation sifters that goes on a 5 gallon bucket to yes........sift the media after tumbling. But mostly........because he picks up Range brass at our gun club as well..........to wash the dirt, mud, spider nests out of the brass BEFORE tumbling.

I tried it already on another particularly dirty batch of brass. I fill the bucket with water, attach the spinning sifter with inserted brass, and spin the deal to tumble the cases through the water and wash off all the dirt and mud.

He was a genius!!!

that right there was half the issue I had!! The dirt and mud! Now the Lyman will actually polish the brass without getting the dirt and dust in the media.
    Last edited by Zee; 03-16-2017 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Sitting in my cave on that rug, it's not very loud at all. Just a dull hum. Pretty cool.

At the recommendation of my budy at the LGS, I picked up one of those FA media separation sifters that goes on a 5 gallon bucket to yes........sift the media after tumbling. But mostly........because he picks up Range brass at our gun club as well..........to wash the dirt, mud, spider nests out of the brass BEFORE tumbling.

I tried it already on another particularly dirty batch of brass. I fill the bucket with water, attach the spinning sifter with inserted brass, and spin the deal to tumble the cases through the water and wash off all the dirt and mud.

He was a genious!!!

that right there was half the issue I had!! The dirt and mud! Now the Lyman will actually polish the brass without getting the dirt and dust in the media.

If momma will allow it...

After washing the brass, put it into a tied cheese cloth or similar porous type bag and run through the clothes dryer for an hour or so to dry it well. You can also put it in the oven around 170 F to help it dry.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BigDanS View Post
    And for what it is worth...

I use a wall type timer used for lights to automatically turn mine off. Sometimes for a large batch of dirty brass I will start it at 8 PM, set it for 5 or 6 hours and go to bed.

D
    Ditto the timer. Cheapest one you can get at Wallys works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Ditto the timer. Cheapest one you can get at Wallys works fine.
    Picked one up this evening. Got it running with a second batch of .45 ACP brass for 2.5 hours. That should be enough.

I ran the first batch for 5 hours just to see. It's beautiful, but i don't need it that shiny.

FWIW... Clean bullets work better in a semi auto, and a little case lube left over isn't bad either.

D

I've found the more cases you put in, the faster they are done and they get shinier. I don't know why but some 9mm brass seems to get stained and no matter how much you shake it it stays stained. Other calibers too but 9mm especially. Wet tumbling with metal pins seems to remove the stains.

The timer worked perfectly. Good idea guys!

2.5-3 hours seems about all I need for clean and shiny enough without excessively wearing out my media for useless "bling".

The cool part is that everything fits in the 5 gallon bucket for storage.

Waiting on a die and I'll start loading the ACP!

One more little tip on determining when you have the tumbler maxed out is to turn it on with the lid off (disclaimer here to do it outside, wear haz mat suit, respirator, goggles, and any other safety device that may seem prudent) add cases slowly and you'll see the cases circulating up the outside, across the top, and down the middle (or is it the other way around?). Keep adding cases until you see this circulation slow down and you'll have your tumbler maxed out. Then put the lid on. I always run mine with the most that will fit to make things a little more efficient and if you really want to get organized, you can keep a list of how many of each caliber it takes to max it out. (I don't)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    I would drop trou too, and because I am a caring person I would've given that young man a hug.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDanS View Post
    FWIW... Clean bullets work better in a semi auto, and a little case lube left over isn't bad either.

D
    Why would you purposely leave something that collects dust and dirt on ammunition ? Not to mention it's not needed for function?

Why lube pistol cases in the first place.

Why lube pistol cases in the first place.
    That was my thought as well.

Shining!!!

That's how I like them to look. Forget the fact that they look pretty. I don't want any excess carbon fouling eroding the chamber or otherwise fouling things up.

Looks like it's doing a great job! Already have any .45 ACP loads picked out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I am only an average man but, by George, I work harder at it than the average man.

Theodore Roosevelt