Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a rimfire rifle scope

Recommend me a rimfire rifle scope

Started a thread about my sanity, and Chris said...get a bolt gun. That sent that discussion on a differ path, and I want to continue it here.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    I love my .243.
    But. Bullets are 2-3 times as expensive as the .223, and the .243 takes 40-ish grains of powder compared to 25-ish (depending on the flavor of powder) for the .223.
    Of course the obvious answer is all three- .22LR, 223 and 243, but we are trying to Jedi mind trick you one gun at a time.
    So the Jedi mind tricks worked, and I decided on a .22 bolt gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk creek View Post
    I have a CZ 452 that is an amazing shooter. It will outshoot me. My point of aim was the paper. That is a 1/2" arrow staple at 50 yards.......
    Attachment 9586
    This got me looking at the CZs. The 452 has been replaced by the 455. From everything I have ready over the last few days, the CZ 455 would be hard to beat...and now I want one.

I'll order the 455 in 22LR, but will probably add the 22WMR and or 17HMR barrel sets just for the fun of it. I'll start buying ammo now for all three just in case.

Scope recommendations are what I need now. Budget for the scope is not firm, I prefer quality and not have issues with a product because I tried to save a buck.

Any thoughts?
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

Will Rogers

Re: Recommend me a rimfire rifle scope

Suppose it depends on the use. I'm assuming you will be killing paper targets? I also assume weight isn't a concern? If so, I'd probably go with a higher magnification than I'd recommend for say a hunting gun. Something with a 12 power or better on the top end. That will make it easier to see the tiny targets you'll be shooting at 100 + yards....
    As to exactly which one, I'm at a loss. Mainly because I'm in the same boat right now. I need a new scope for my Armerican, but not sure which way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

And notice I just ignored the successful JMT. That's part of a successful JMT. Next you'll be getting a .223 bolt gun. And you won't even know why, you'll just do it. You'll walk in the house and your wife will say "why did you buy that?" And you'll say "I'm not sure. I just felt like I needed to. "
    And even after reading this, you'll forget it. Like you never even read it. Why? Because JMT.

This wouldn't be bad, other than I prefer the finest reticle I can get. Which that is all purely personal preference. There's two different style reticles offered by the way.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-c...fle-scope.html

Suppose it depends on the use. I'm assuming you will be killing paper targets? I also assume weight isn't a concern? If so, I'd probably go with a higher magnification than I'd recommend for say a hunting gun. Something with a 12 power or better on the top end. That will make it easier to see the tiny targets you'll be shooting at 100 + yards....
    As to exactly which one, I'm at a loss. Mainly because I'm in the same boat right now. I need a new scope for my Armerican, but not sure which way to go.
    Excellent advice.

I love my Leupold 2-7 x 28 Rimfire on my plinking/hunting gun. Light, compact and easy to use, it is perfect in that role.

But, it was an epic failure when I tried to use it for punching small holes over 50 yards. Simply put, I ran out of magnification. I hated it so much that I moved it to my cheaper hunting gun.

For target use, I bought a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 x40 with AO. Much happier. But, I wouldn't like it on my hunting rig - bigger/heavier.
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...v-plex-reticle

One Thing: There are a lot of sales on Vortex, Leupold, and Nikon rimfire scopes. Look for a deal.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 03-11-2017 at 07:21 PM.

I have a 10/22T, sst with lam stock. I put a Leupold 4-12X, AO, on it, and with the right load from the bench, it's a paper punching beast. With CCI mini mag hp's and a USMC shooting sling, it's a squirrel killing machine out to 75 yards.

I love hi mag scopes on accurate 22 rimfires. Combined, they bring out the best in each other.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

One thing to consider is the distances that you plan on shooting. Scopes that are designated for .22lr usually have the parallax set for 50yds and shooting at 50yds with a scoped rifle doesn't do anything for me. I use conventional rifle scopes on my scoped .22lr's as I prefer to shoot them at 100yds.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Thats an awfully nice looking rifle to put an overly large scope on. Manufactures now offer scopes specific to rimfire of high quality and powerful magnification. A compromise between clarity at distance and svelte may bring the best result.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Under $200, Adj Objective down to 10 yards, target turrets for multiple calibers..................

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...le-scope-matte

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by early View Post
    Thats an awfully nice looking rifle to put an overly large scope on. Manufactures now offer scopes specific to rimfire of high quality and powerful magnification. A compromise between clarity at distance and svelte may bring the best result.
    Need at least 12x for a 17HMR.............. it can do 200-250 yards easy.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

I'm with Linefinder!

I just bought a VX-2 4-12x40 AO (I'm guessing what Linefinder is speaking of) for my CZ-455 upgrade ... in fact that is the one my kid took down that range "ninja" I posted about a week or so back. That scope to me fits nicely with the CZ-455's size and look ... at a glance it almost looks like a centerfire to some.

ETA ... the reticle has a fine duplex setup so when you are aiming for a small target you don't cover it up!

Also I tried something a little off with this purchase and went to B&H Photo's website and when I found this scope there was a "email me a better price" link over the "add to cart" tab and got it for right $340 to my door with no problems or such.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...objective.html
    Last edited by NCFUBAR; 03-11-2017 at 09:11 PM.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by NCFUBAR View Post
    I'm with Linefinder!

I just bought a VX-2 4-12x40 AO (I'm guessing what Linefinder is speaking of) for my CZ-455 upgrade ... in fact that is the one my kid took down that range "ninja" I posted about a week or so back. That scope to me fits nicely with the CZ-455's size and look ... at a glance it almost looks like a centerfire to some.

ETA ... the reticle has a fine duplex setup so when you are aiming for a small target you don't cover it up!

Also I tried something a little off with this purchase and went to B&H Photo's website and when I found this scope there was a "email me a better price" link over the "add to cart" tab and got it for right $340 to my door with no problems or such.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...objective.html
    Damn!

Will Rogers

And notice I just ignored the successful JMT. That's part of a successful JMT. Next you'll be getting a .223 bolt gun. And you won't even know why, you'll just do it. You'll walk in the house and your wife will say "why did you buy that?" And you'll say "I'm not sure. I just felt like I needed to. "
    And even after reading this, you'll forget it. Like you never even read it. Why? Because JMT.
    Yeah...remember that amp you bought, was not the amp you THOUGHT you wanted.

JMT only works on weak minded simpletons like us

Will Rogers

This wouldn't be bad, other than I prefer the finest reticle I can get. Which that is all purely personal preference. There's two different style reticles offered by the way.

I like the Vortex brand. Have a Vortex scope on my AR and red dot on my shotgun. This one looks good with the V-Brite reticle, price is OK to.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by TrueTone911 View Post
    Yeah...remember that amp you bought, was not the amp you THOUGHT you wanted.

JMT only works on weak minded simpletons like us
    Should have never even bought that amp. $250 wasted. I could have put a cardboard box in its place to collect dust for free.

I hear ya. I have dust collectors shaped like guitar cases and one shaped like an amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Will Rogers

I have this scope and it is nice for the most part. It sits on my Savage MKII, I love the 10 yard focus range. I have found the eye box to be rather finicky when I shoot prone. From a bench it is great. To be honest it could my technique.

Quote Originally Posted by jbp-ohio View Post
    Under $200, Adj Objective down to 10 yards, target turrets for multiple calibers..................

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...le-scope-matte

I like the Vortex a lot but if 12x will suit your needs and you are wanting to shoot farther out with your .22 I would recommend the Sightron because it has revolution marks going up the turret. You have remember how revolutions you have made. At some point I am going to make that mistake. That is really my biggest gripe about the Vortex.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    One thing to consider is the distances that you plan on shooting. Scopes that are designated for .22lr usually have the parallax set for 50yds and shooting at 50yds with a scoped rifle doesn't do anything for me. I use conventional rifle scopes on my scoped .22lr's as I prefer to shoot them at 100yds.
    The scopes mentioned are AO for the most part, so parallax is not an issue. Adjustable Objective or side focus, no parallax issues.

I put a Nikon Prostaff rimfire on my Savage mkII. It was $129 at Academy. I like it. I posted a couple of pics after its 1st outing. I can't copy and paste worth a flip from this table or I would post a link. I think I 1st posted that thread around thanksgiving

Just did a search and didn't find those pictures. Maybe I didn't post them after all.
    Last edited by RugerFan; 03-12-2017 at 01:33 AM.

Last edited by knitepoet; 03-12-2017 at 01:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Thanks Knite!

The 2nd link is it. I JUST got through searching for that and could not find it!!

Btw, the scope was $119 not 129.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    Thanks Knite!

The 2nd link is it. I JUST got through searching for that and could not find it!!

Btw, the scope was $119 not 129.
    You're welcome. I made the incorrect one go away from my post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Whatever you get, make sure it has an adjustable objective. What was said earlier was right on, most CF scopes won't focus clearly at .22 rimfire ranges.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Thank you everyone. I'll chew on the scope suggestions while I wait for the rifle. Should be able to have it in my hands by months end, which means I need to pick a scope and order some ammo.
    Last edited by TrueTone911; 03-18-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    I put a Nikon Prostaff rimfire on my Savage mkII. It was $129 at Academy. I like it. I posted a couple of pics after its 1st outing. I can't copy and paste worth a flip from this table or I would post a link. I think I 1st posted that thread around thanksgiving

Just did a search and didn't find those pictures. Maybe I didn't post them after all.
    This. I shoot mine from powder burn distance, to 200 yards.
    Great scope.
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

True, my CZs like CCI Standard for the less expensive stuff and I sort them by rim thickness to tighten up groups more. The top dollar stuff does do better but my ability (or lack off) just does not justify Eley, RWS or such but yours might ... just gotta try 'me all to see what yours likes best. Also as usual MiniMags shot damn good ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

I put this one on my Ruger AM .22 bolt rifle, a 3X9. Not bad, it was on sale fer around $89 bucks last year at Midway. $139 now, but keep an peeled as all kinds of scopes go on sale.

Works well enough, not top-end, but works good enough for my purpose of punching paper usually @ 50 yards and I love the side knob Adjustable Objective feature. Being a sucker fer a sale I bought a Bushnell Legend 4.5X14 44mm I never mounted on anything yet. Before or right after X-mas it was $149 I think. Also I believe they have come out with other newer model scopes with different features to replace those they put on deep sale.

I have thought about upgrading it with something, that Bushnell should work on it or my Marlin 883 .22 magnum, I guess.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/274...-reticle-matte
    Last edited by Big Chief; 03-13-2017 at 05:52 PM.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Quote Originally Posted by jbohio View Post
    This. I shoot mine from powder burn distance, to 200 yards.
    Great scope.
    I have one on my marlin bolt action. 2-7x40 I think. Very clear and bright. Highly recommend. Comes with turrets for 22lr and 22mag. Cept I paid 179 for mine
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Quote Originally Posted by NCFUBAR View Post
    True, my CZs like CCI Standard for the less expensive stuff and I sort them by rim thickness to tighten up groups more. The top dollar stuff does do better but my ability (or lack off) just does not justify Eley, RWS or such but yours might ... just gotta try 'me all to see what yours likes best. Also as usual MiniMags shot damn good ...
    Wife likes shooting Eley Club ammo, so we have 500 or so rounds in the safe. I can get 1000 rounds of that for 60 bucks, which aint bad. I'll try that first and see how it to does. 1000 rounds of Federal Gold Medal Match is 80 bucks. I'll probably try that as well. I remember she liked shooting that also. Remember...I was not shooting back when ammo was cheap, so the prices today just seem normal.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    I put this one on my Ruger AM .22 bolt rifle, a 3X9. Not bad, it was on sale fer around $89 bucks last year at Midway. $139 now, but keep an peeled as all kinds of scopes go on sale.

Works well enough, not top-end, but works good enough for my purpose of punching paper usually @ 50 yards and I love the side knob Adjustable Objective feature.

Big Chief, that's a new one on me. I suggest you get it patented right away.

Currently, a side focus knob does not adjust the objective, it moves an additional lens set between the fixed objective lens and th first focus plane, and this lens is called a focusing lens as it focuses the image onto the first foca plane. This is not the focal plane where FFP scopes have their reticle.

So, its either a side-focus with the extra focusing lens or an AO Adjustable Objective, one that is adjusted by twisting it like a camera lens.

Thanks for the giggle.