Thread: What kind of accuracy do you demand Off Hand shooting your pistol.

What kind of accuracy do you demand Off Hand shooting your pistol.

I'm shooting a lot of Steel Challenge matches and realize I don't need minute of angle accuracy at the distance we shoot but what do you expect from your gun at say 15 yards off hand?

Re: What kind of accuracy do you demand Off Hand shooting your pistol.

I'm the weak link between my gun and myself but I expect to knock a 4" steel disc over with every shot at 15 yds. Doing it every time with the clock running is the challenge.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood

Hit what I'm shooting at, size of TGT determines what I expect
    Go Cowboys go

With my old eyes if i can still hit the target at 15yds I'm happy, today I'm more concerned with shooting faster at so called "gun fight" ( read SD) distance 7yds or less under stress and hitting the target, which i hope I'll never have to do.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Depends on what pistol. I expect/demand better accuracy from my hunting handguns than I do my CCWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

All my guns are more accurate than I. Still, I expect both my guns and my hands and eyes to allow me to strike a target the size of a man's head at 25 yards off hand. At 15 yards, I expect a full magazine (however many that magazine holds) to go into 3 inches slow fire. 4 to 5 rapid fire.

At ten yards I want half that and at 7 yards the mag had better print one ragged hole or I'm not doing my job.

I don't consider any of this exceptional. I consider it Par.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Pretty much agree what others have posted, but I think you need to use a rest/pistol perch of some kind to get a better idy of how good your handgun will shoot or is capable of shootin . The 64,000 Dollar Question after that is how well YOU/WE can shoot ours.

Could be a myriad of factors US, the caliber, the weight/make of the gun, the grips.

Back in the day, it used to be if you had a handgun that would shoot about 2" or less @ 25 yards off a rest you had a definite keeper and many would hold an inch or less. These were full sized guns with 4"/5"/6" barrels, long before the SD and "Combat" Hi-Cap 9 Sillymeter craze hit.

Most semis were .45s or .22s like a High Standard/Ruger/S&W 52 or quality .22 Revolvers from S&W.

Revolvers were Colts like the Python or various S&W model 14/19/ 24/25/27/28/29 and the like.

These days the new 25 yards is 7 to 10 or so with emphasis on faster "Combat" SD like shootin.

But one should strive to get a handgun that is reasonably accurate for its intended use, reliable and one that you have a high confidence level in and can shoot well and hit what you are aiming at with.

My 2 centavos worth, anyhow.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

I expect the hole to show up where the front sight was when I pulled the trigger.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

No demands.
    Only more practice.
    More I practice, more I can expect.
    Less I practice, less I can expect.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

The clock is the killer for me. I can make A zone hits all day long out to 25 yds. On the clock I'm hitting 70% As on a good day. Grand Masters hit 95% and above and do it faster.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    Hit what I'm shooting at, size of TGT determines what I expect
    That's about what I was going to say.

Off-hand with a handgun, my standard is all shots on a small paper plate (5-6" I think) at 25 yards. I keep a short stack in my range bag; they're cheap at the grocery store and practical as targets.

But I agree with what others have stated - it depends a lot on what I'm shooting and how fast. Bowling pin matches require each shot be effective on the roughly 2" sweet spot on a kingpin. I find Earp's adage works well for that: "Take your time as fast as you can!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
    NRA Endowment Member

Defensive pistol, at least palm-sized groups with little aiming time; "fun" handguns (Like milsurps and so), I can stand a tad bigger. For hunting guns I demand tighter...maybe 2" groups tops at that distance.

I used to compete ISPC and Steel Challenge. I did fairly well in regional competitions, and occasionally beat guys who competed on a national level, but I never lost sight of the fact that it was a game. When I competed, I normally carried exactly the kind of firearm I was required to carry on duty, with the same ammunition. The "Clock" was simply a standard. I never tried to "beat" the clock. I tried to "beat" myself. I never expected to win...but often did.

Occasionally, a shooter who scored higher in ISPC because of having a slightly better time, would tell me that if I speeded up a bit, I could do far better. But it was a game. I wanted all my shots to be in the highest scoring spot, even if it meant my times were a bit slower. I'd rather have a 10 than a seven, even if it meant a second slower.

Cooper was right when he coined, "Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas." So, I don't worry about the clock. I'm not ever...EVER going to meed Rob Leatham trying to hijack my car to take my wallet.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

But what if Johnny Ringo calls you out, I hear he's pretty fast.

depends on the gun and caliber.

some of my 22s can make it easy. some not so.

My CZs make it easy.

some of my 45s, easy, some not.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt

Johnny Ringo won't call me out. My name is Huckleberry. And besides...I'd be on his side in the fight.

I'm not a competition shooter, or a hunter, so all my handguns are for SD/HD and informal target shooting and plinking. All my long barreled full size guns will shoot groups of a few inches at 25 yards, the Luger (1917) and Colt New Service Target (1920) have done a little better. My carry guns and I have to perform the 5-5-5-5 drill. (From 5 yards, 5 rounds in a 5 inch circle in 5 seconds.)

First shot In the black every time 7-10 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by horselips View Post
    I'm not a competition shooter, or a hunter, so all my handguns are for SD/HD and informal target shooting and plinking. All my long barreled full size guns will shoot groups of a few inches at 25 yards, the Luger (1917) and Colt New Service Target (1920) have done a little better. My carry guns and I have to perform the 5-5-5-5 drill. (From 5 yards, 5 rounds in a 5 inch circle in 5 seconds.)
    5 seconds is an eternity for 5 shots.

I was timing myself last weekend. There is a sub 1 second club people try and qualify for at larger matches. 5 shots with a .22 on 3 6 inch plates at 7 yds. Best I could do was 1.19. I'll get there. I figure adrenalin alone is worth 1 tenth. Plus I had just shot a USPSA match and several hundred practice rounds after so was a bit tired. Try it, it ain't easy. You can download a shot timer for your phone that sort of works ok. I've seen it done and you can't stop the gun. You have to shoot while it's moving.
    Last edited by BAMAAK; 03-16-2017 at 03:59 AM.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Quote Originally Posted by horselips View Post
    My 12 year old could do that 5555 drill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAAK View Post
    5 seconds is an eternity for 5 shots.

Depends on if your using a stock revolver M-10 and shooting for a score on a bull's-eye not just every hit scores full amount.
    Best I could do with our .38s was 7 seconds and we were allowed 15 seconds at 15 yds and 20 seconds at 25 yds.

I suspect with a tricked out revolver that did not need to be shot SA to lighten the trigger pull you are correct.
    Go Cowboys go

All of my pistols will ding the 8" steel plates at 20-25 yards. My favorites will do it 100% of the time, if I've been practicing. The others, mostly subcompacts, require slowing down and deeper concentration to reach about 75%. This is not to say that is the best they can do - it's just the best I can do, of late.

The 1997 North Hollywood bank robbery was what really got me to shoot accurately at distance with a hand gun. As of late, I like shooting at steel anywhere from 25 out to 200 yards with revolvers, and 7 to 15 yards indoor with semi autos.

Twenty-some years ago, at Big Hollow public range, I was having a good old time shooting the heck out of an 8'' gong off of a rest. Then a third shooter showed up and started to un-box his new Savage package rifle, preparing to shoot and sight in his scope for the first time. Then he proceeded to give me guff for shooting handguns on a 100 yard rifle range. I was legal, while he was just being stupid, so I ignored him. Eventually he went down range to set his targets... 6'' paper plates set out at 100 yards.

After about 30 minutes of trying to hit paper plates, he kept missing his mark. So When the time was right, I decided to help him out.

Next time he went down range during, he took one look at his targets, did an about face, packed his gun back in the cardboard box and left without a word. Meanwhile, the shooter next to me walked down range to check his targets. Meanwhile I took an extended break. The second shooter walked over to the Savage shooters 6'' pie plates and brought the one in the middle back to me.

"No wonder he left. Not very good grouping for a .308 Win."
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm happy with groups about the size of a grapefruit or better, for a semi 9 or 40. 1911 I expect better. My boomer wheel guns about the same as the 1911.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Quote Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
    I'm shooting a lot of Steel Challenge matches and realize I don't need minute of angle accuracy at the distance we shoot but what do you expect from your gun at say 15 yards off hand?

Cover leaf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers