Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flood insurance

Re: Flood insurance

We live way above the flood plain in our area, but we do have hills on three sides of the house. After a couple of close calls and a refusal by Allstate to pay for damages caused by a leaky roof, we decided dump their coverage, go with a different homeowners' insurance provider, and buy flood insurance. Last year the roulette wheel stopped on our number for the first time in 30-something years. A massive rain event put water into half our house on groundhog day. By the SE shoot, repairs were pretty much finished, and paid for. It still cost us a little out of pocket, but the entire repair bill would have been a financial disaster.
    Jerry
    The masochist says "HIT ME! The sadist says "NO!"
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

I'm on the MS Gulf Coast right now with a school group. I was just talking to a lady who lives here about flood ins. She said that's only about $400 for her house, which is between the railroad tracks and I10. However, wind insurance is $2000/yr.

The big problem down here was the wind vs water debate with the insurance companies: Were homes destroyed/damaged by wind or by water? Evidently a lot of people didn't have "hurricane" coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    I'm on the MS Gulf Coast right now with a school group. I was just talking to a lady who lives here about flood ins. She said that's only about $400 for her house, which is between the railroad tracks and I10. However, wind insurance is $2000/yr.

The big problem down here was the wind vs water debate with the insurance companies: Were homes destroyed/damaged by wind or by water? Evidently a lot of people didn't have "hurricane" coverage.

I see or hear something like this and it's no wonder to me that most people wouldn't piss in an insurance executive's mouth if his teeth were on fire. Throw lawyers in with that too.
    Last edited by coolgunguy; 03-22-2017 at 02:38 AM.
    Tim Mason

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
    Two old guys are sitting on a park bench passing the time.
    One says to the other " Had a fire last week, completely razed the house to the ground. Insurance company paid out $400,000 in settlement".

Second guy says " I had a flood last week, completely destroyed the house. Insurance company paid out $600,00 in settlement".

After 5 minutes silence the first guy turns to the second guy and whispers quietly " How do you start a flood?"
    Oh, that's easy, just get about 10 sticks a dynamite and blow the local dam!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post

Yep in hurricane land that's the big argument. The insurance companies used to try to blame the damage on the water and they didn't cover water unless you had flood insurance. You want to blame somebody think Insurance companies. You pay em Big Premiums for years and never use it. Then along comes a Carla or a Katrina and they try to duck and run.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by coolgunguy View Post
    I see or hear something like this and it's no wonder to me that most people wouldn't piss in an insurance executive's mouth if his teeth were on fire. Throw lawyers in with that too.

You got it! Rght on! Now we agree on something! Insurance executives are the Scum of the Earth in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    Yep in hurricane land that's the big argument. The insurance companies used to try to blame the damage on the water and they didn't cover water unless you had flood insurance. You want to blame somebody think Insurance companies. You pay em Big Premiums for years and never use it. Then along comes a Carla or a Katrina and they try to duck and run.

Well, in their defense, over that same period of time they had to pay your relatives thirteen times for flood damage and refusing to move, so....

It all evens out, right?
    Tim Mason

Quote Originally Posted by coolgunguy View Post
    Well, in their defense, over that same period of time they had to pay your relatives thirteen times for flood damage and refusing to move, so....

It all evens out, right?
    Nope. That wasn't a private insurance company that paid my relatives. That was the Government.

Not that that warms my heart, but it's a fact of life.
    Last edited by snake284; 03-23-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Nope. That wasn't a private insurance company that paid my relatives. That was the Government.

So its OK when other people pay the freight, but its bad when the ones who are dumb enough to live in a area that floods every other year have to pony up and share the responsibility with other people living in a flood plain?

Insurance is sharing responsibility, a fact of life. You can take it or not, your choice. I dont get a choice, not living in a flood plain or a tornado zone, about getting to pay for stupid people after having to pay in with a gun to my head.
    Last edited by Varmintmist; 03-23-2017 at 01:52 PM.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

It wasn't the government, and that's what I've been telling you. It was you and me and the rest of us. Your relatives too, but they were the only ones who should have been paying.

Think of it this way: If this was done through a normal insurance plan, after the say, third flooding the company would tell them their premiums were going WAY up or they weren't going to be covered at all. As things currently sit, we finally got to put their house on a platform in order to finally quit paying for flood restoration. I suppose that's a good thing in a way...
    Tim Mason