Thread: Colt Huntsman

Colt Huntsman

My father acquired a Colt Huntsman .22 pistol. Seems like a nice little piece. Anybody else have one or know much about them?
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Re: Colt Huntsman

They're nice guns. There was the Woodsman, the Targetsman, and the Huntsman, and possibly the Sportsman. The difference seems to be the barrel length, weight, and the sights. I've got a Woodsman (4") and a Targetsman.

In looking on Gunbroker, which I recommend, you can probably find out a bit more about them. Some of the Huntsmans had an S prefix and an S suffix on the serial number, makes them a bit more rare. According to one seller.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

This website is an excellent resource: models, variations, etc.

http://colt22.com/
    Overkill is underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by bellcat View Post
    My father acquired a Colt Huntsman .22 pistol. Seems like a nice little piece. Anybody else have one or know much about them?
    I have one in excellent condition in the original box made in 1958 IIRC. EXCELLENT, crazy accurate gun and like all Colts of that time just BUTTER smooth operation. The slide cycles like it's on bearings. I believe the Huntsman is just the more "utilitarian" model gun. Plastic grips and fixed sights version, but I'm not an expert by any measure, just a very happy owner of a REALLY fine Colt .22 pistol.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

My Woodsman Sport had brown plastic ("Coltwood") grips, which were warped and finally broke off.

A replacement set of original Coltwood grips will cost you a pretty penny.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

I have third edition Match Target made in 1967, it is accurate.
    Wished I had the box but the guy I bought it from did not have it.

Bought my Colt Huntsman in 1972, and have the original box it came in. Serial number has an "S" suffix, but no prefix. The handles are checkered American Black Walnut. Outstanding pistol, and fits my hand perfectly. My Dad had a Woodsman that I'm pretty sure would have pre-dated WWII, but it went to other family members at his death in the 60's.

I looked on Ebay to see if I could find a set of Coltwood grips for my Woodsman. A guy was advertising a right-side only grip for $45! Unfortunately, the one I need is the left-side. It's got nice walnuts on it now, but I wish it had the original type. I've got the box and the papers.

That Match Target pistol looks GREAT. Both mine are lightweight non-target models, even though one is a Targetsman. It's not a serious target pistol, just an upgrade of the Huntsman, or so I read. I don't see how.

The series One guns had an elaborate wood grip that came around and met at the heel of the pistol. I believe they had the magazine release on the butt, European style. Almost all the grips were broken at that part where they meet and one that isn't broken will bring you primo bucks...a Series One with the batwing grips (which is what I think they were called) will add a whole lot of money to the selling price. You just don't see them unbroken.
    Last edited by Gene L; 03-17-2017 at 06:38 AM.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Some folks call those "elephant ear" grips. Triple K sells repros for just under three hunnert dolla.

https://www.triplek.com/product/colt...ar-wood-grips/

You can buy grips for most of the other models from Eagle. They just don't include the grip adapter to go from straight to arched mainspring housing.

https://www.eaglegrips.com/71-colt-woodsman-grips

First and Third series Woodsmen had the heel clip magazine, it was only the second series that had the standard mag release.
    Overkill is underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by rberglof View Post
    I have third edition Match Target made in 1967, it is accurate.
    Wished I had the box but the guy I bought it from did not have it.

Nice as all of them sound too
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!