Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I had this lonely scope laying around....

I had this lonely scope laying around....

This Weaver 1x20 had been sitting in my box 'o optics for a while and I finally decided to give it a home.

So I dug around in my stash of dad cash, and came up with a few extra freedom bucks. With a short, light, compact scope with NO magnification, what would be a good fit? I decided I needed another .45-70 to go with the all the brass, loading dies, and loaded rounds I had. So this is what followed me home from Cabela's emporium of making my wife angry:

nekkid.jpg

A Henry Repeating H010 .45-70 Lever. I wanted to get the all-weather version, but it seems that Henry only makes those if you know the secret illuminati handshake. This will do, however. Why henry? Because I handled a brand new Marlin that was on the rack next to it and the lever was as rough as a Laredo saturday night, it came with pre-boogered screw heads, and the fit of parts was horrid.

I let the scope and the rifle hang out overnight and get to know each other. What came out of the safe was this:
    scoped.jpg
    (why the forum puts a 90 degree tilt on the pics is beyond me. must be a feature)

Initial impressions: I LIKE the rifle. Handy as all get out, the lever is so slick and fast handling that I have to get used to not muscling it so hard or my hand comes out of the loop. The scope is a nice pairing for it, but it might be a little dim for morning hunts. The instructions say it will only take 4 in the tube, but if you ask real nice, it seems she will let you put a 5th one in. The ejection port is a little small, so doing an emergency load of a dry gun by dumping in a lose round is difficult. This is a bit of a concern, because this thing loads like a Marlin Model 60. Which I actually find goofy-cool.

Hope to get to the range in the next couple days to sight it in. Anyone that has knowledge of .45-70 trajectory that can suggest an initial "get on paper" distance that will put me close at 100, please let me know.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Re: I had this lonely scope laying around....

I start at 50 yards! Will still be close at 100. My load, for my trapdoors, is 40 grains of 3031 with a 405 cast. That's equal to the original BP load.
    Nice looking rifle, looking forward to range report!

BIL has one in 45 Colt, loves it!!

Purdy gun, nice stock! Love blued steel and wood.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Its not the forum. The scope upset the rifle's natural ergonomics.

Its actually a very good combination.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Henry does make a pretty rifle! I like the pairing of 1X scope and that rifle, too. That funky loading from the tube will grow on you, I bet.

Sighting in distance; 25 yards usually puts you on paper at 100, and 50 yard sight in will be a little low most likely. Don't know until you shoot!

Sorry to hear that the Marlin offering was in such poor shape direct from the factory. That is going to hurt sales. My old Marlins are slick as butter, and the Guide Gun is a 90's model, but slick. Seems like Remlin can't get a break on some of their assembly problems.
    When I hear the phrase "our democracy" spoken by politicians and talking news heads I see a red flag with a yellow hammer and sickle over their head.

I like Trail Boss in my 45-70 and staying under 75 yards... Shoots almost like a .223, but delivers a .45 caliber hole in almost anything.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Congrats on your new Thumper!

You might wanna look into H4895 powder for reduced loads (down to 60% of Max listed)

I saw some of them Henry 45-70s in Walmart, nice. I have been eyeballing a .45 Colt one lately............wish they would have another clearance sale like I got on my Marlin 1895 45-70 and it would be sold and maybe one in .357 too..........................

My Marlin is OK, not as slick as the older ones, but not as bad as some of the newer ones either. What $250 final cost after the sale/clearance and $50 rebate check from Rem.............I'm OK with that.

I saw a YouTube on one like yours, folks really like them and find the way they load different, not bad though. If you are shootin something with it and a tube full don't get er done.............one more fer a quick reload/ top off fer an extra shot ain't gonna give you what you need, time to call in the Artillery.

Range report when you can.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

On at 25, should be on at 100. 50 should be high.
    I dig the rifle. I like the way it loads. Makes for a cleaner looking gun, and makes it easier what for not dikering up the side of her.
    People who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

And while not a hot supper load, trail boss and bigass cast bullets will penetrate anything you're going to encounter. And not destroy your shoulder. Not to mention one of the most thing you can do is to shoot steel with those loads. Boom..............clang!
    People who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

I concur with starting @ 25 should get you close @ 100.

Funny thong, I got the current issue of Handloader the other day and looked at it today. They have an article about the Gould 330 HP mould and how great that bullet is for deer at moderate velocities.

It's now sold as a Lyman 457122
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/37...e-hollow-point

I have the mould but have lost the HP pin. I cast mine out of certified 20:1
    I've killed 1 coyote from with my Contender with them, Bang-flop-roll against the tree from ~60 yards. HUGE gnarly hole in Wile E.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    I concur with starting @ 25 should get you close @ 100.

Funny thong, I got the current issue of Handloader the other day and looked at it today. They have an article about the Gould 330 HP mould and how great that bullet is for deer at moderate velocities.

It's now sold as a Lyman 457122
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/37...e-hollow-point

I have the mould but have lost the HP pin. I cast mine out of certified 20:1
    I've killed 1 coyote from with my Contender with them, Bang-flop-roll against the tree from ~60 yards. HUGE gnarly hole in Wile E.
    That hollow point pin could be replicated pretty easily if you can't get it from Lyman or Gould.
    When I hear the phrase "our democracy" spoken by politicians and talking news heads I see a red flag with a yellow hammer and sickle over their head.

I don't like you right now.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

My local GS had one of those and I lusted for it a long time and was saving up the needed cash but when I almost had enough someone else bought it. It had the aperture sight but the new ones don't which POed me so I don't want one now. You suck!

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

That's a great looking rifle!
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

BigAl- Thanks! I still tell people how great Anthony Imperato was for coming on the board here years ago and talking with us, and then realized I don't have one Henry. I know lots of people that have them and love em. Had to rectify the situation

Zorba- I know, it is pretty. I was wanting to get the hard chrome and black finished wood "All Weather" version, but this just seems to be a nicer looking gun.

Tennmike- My brother bought a Marlin at the same time and the same deal, that BigChief did. It was not nearly as dickered up as the one that was on the rack. It is sad to see a great American brand like that hit the skids.

Early - Thanks!

Big Dan- I just picked up a can of trail boss to make some subsonic Mosin loads. Might have to mess around with the .45-70 as well.

BigChief- I am already planing a side-by side Marlin vs Henry shoot off from the one my brother bought when you bought yours

CPJ- I have access to a 400 yard steel range. I WILL get this out there. BOOM....................................clang

Knite- I am really looking forward to taking this hunting. Might have to roll an Axis with it this summer

Zee- Thats OK. You got me obsessed with long range handguns.

JB- Thanks!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

I handled that same gun about 10 days ago, I liked the action, not so much the rear sight, but that is fixable obviously. Think it will handle the stomping loads?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

That looks really cool, I like it to.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Looks like awesome hog medicine!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

VERY nice!! If it's like my Marlin, it'll dump Hornady LeveRevolution 325 grain FTX into MOA groups all day long.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

You suck. I like that combo a lot. Very nice.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

Looks like a damned fine deep woods still hunting setup to me.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Dang, get some ladder or peep sights and an Injin and a horse to volunteer and maybe you could make a Adobe Walls (Billy Dixon) shot with it

I have a 1 X scope on my Marlin .44 mag levergun. Would love to add one like yours to the lever collection.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Sweet! I love lever guns!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I am only an average man but, by George, I work harder at it than the average man.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    I handled that same gun about 10 days ago, I liked the action, not so much the rear sight, but that is fixable obviously. Think it will handle the stomping loads?
    I'm not sure if it is up to Marlin strength. Need to research that.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Found a couple places online that say it will take any modern load. SoI could get some of the shoulder breakers.

If I want to develop a flinch, that is
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

OJR- Thanks!

Wambli - I agree. I do want to get out and whack a piggie with it.

Jeeper- I may try those after I sight it in.

Farm Boy - Thank you!

Six-gun- Agreed. I am looking forward to hunting with it

Big Chief- I do want to try long range, but with the scope :)

Diver- the more I goof with the setup, the more I like it. It's like a red dot... without the batteries.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    This Weaver 1x20 had been sitting in my box 'o optics for a while and I finally decided to give it a home.

So I dug around in my stash of dad cash, and came up with a few extra freedom bucks. With a short, light, compact scope with NO magnification, what would be a good fit? I decided I needed another .45-70 to go with the all the brass, loading dies, and loaded rounds I had. So this is what followed me home from Cabela's emporium of making my wife angry:

nekkid.jpg

A Henry Repeating H010 .45-70 Lever. I wanted to get the all-weather version, but it seems that Henry only makes those if you know the secret illuminati handshake. This will do, however. Why henry? Because I handled a brand new Marlin that was on the rack next to it and the lever was as rough as a Laredo saturday night, it came with pre-boogered screw heads, and the fit of parts was horrid.

I let the scope and the rifle hang out overnight and get to know each other. What came out of the safe was this:
    scoped.jpg
    (why the forum puts a 90 degree tilt on the pics is beyond me. must be a feature)

Initial impressions: I LIKE the rifle. Handy as all get out, the lever is so slick and fast handling that I have to get used to not muscling it so hard or my hand comes out of the loop. The scope is a nice pairing for it, but it might be a little dim for morning hunts. The instructions say it will only take 4 in the tube, but if you ask real nice, it seems she will let you put a 5th one in. The ejection port is a little small, so doing an emergency load of a dry gun by dumping in a lose round is difficult. This is a bit of a concern, because this thing loads like a Marlin Model 60. Which I actually find goofy-cool.

Hope to get to the range in the next couple days to sight it in. Anyone that has knowledge of .45-70 trajectory that can sugGivegest an initial "get on paper" distance that will put me close at 100, please let me know.
    Might be a little dim for morning hunts? I can see this one coming a mile away. Give that a couple weeks or a month then it will evolve into, "Saw this and couldn't turn it down, since my Henry 45-70's scope is a little dim in the mornings" hehehehe! I have used similar lines on my spouse or to justify purchases to myself! we're so EASY on ourselves, HeHeHeHe!!!

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Oh yeah. I could see this wearing a 1-4x with an illuminated reticle. Then I would have to get something else to go under this scope.....
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov