Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishin with the gators

Fishin with the gators

We went fishing this morning at a WMA on the St. Johns, caught 6 catfish all small but good eating size, the river was about 3' down and the gators were all over the place, it was a good morning.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Re: Fishin with the gators

That's a great time, for sure.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

What flavor whisker fish do you catch down there Jay?
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

Sounds like a fun trip and getting to see a lot of gators. And ANY time spent fishing is not wasted.

Like Farmboy said, what kind of catfish you catch down there, channel, flathead, something else?????
    "Tyranny is wonderfully ingenious in the art of inventing specious phrases to spread over its nefarious designs." From the book Tyranny Unmasked by John Taylor of Caloline County, VA. 1821

Been on that river. To see the alligators. And there's a metric butt ton of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Boy Deuce View Post
    What flavor whisker fish do you catch down there Jay?
    Channel & white cats, brown & yellow bullheads, flatheads & blues are not native, I know they get them in North Fla. but i dont think they come this far south.

JAY

Do you eat bullhead? Around here they are considered a trash fish like carp or gar.

To me a good eating size catfish is anything big enough to fillet up to about 10lbs.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

Do you eat bullhead? Around here they are considered a trash fish like carp or gar.

To me a good eating size catfish is anything big enough to fillet up to about 10lbs.
    Best catfish I ever had, and likely the best freshwater fish I ever had, was from a 38-ish pound flathead. Of course my buddy who caught and cooked it said the key is the rule "if it ain't white, it ain't right." Meaning any and every bit of meat with any color gets fed to the chickens.

Very true there is probably some jackass up north who can make walleye taste bad. Food in general is at least 50% proper preparation.
    Dad 5-31-13

Very true there is probably some jackass up north who can make walleye taste bad. Food in general is at least 50% proper preparation.
    When he cooked it, I told him to not be offended if I didn't like it. He told me that I simply had never had it cooked properly. I told him that's what everyone says, and I still don't like catfish. I was wrong. His family hates that he "wastes" fish by tossing the non-white meat. He's offered to give it to them to cook...

The fatty bits of catfish are barely fit for chicken food.
    Dad 5-31-13

The fatty bits of catfish are barely fit for chicken food.
    Damn. You're pretty sophisticated for an Okie.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Damn. You're pretty sophisticated for an Okie.
    You know it. Not everyone here is like your in-laws.
    Dad 5-31-13

I guess we all have different taste buds, having lived in Fla. for a large part of my life, raised on fresh caught salt water fish , i like fish that have a "strong" taste, i cant stand walleyes, there to bland, when we went fishing i would trade my walleyes for northern's, they taste better, as to bullheads, i love them, Jen smokes or grills them, If you have never eaten smoked carp you don't know how great they are.

cpj Whats wrong with fresh tuna, salmon, mackerel, jacks, cobia, there all red or dark meat ??

JAY

Quote Originally Posted by jaywapti View Post
    I guess we all have different taste buds, having lived in Fla. for a large part of my life, raised on fresh caught salt water fish , i like fish that have a "strong" taste, i cant stand walleyes, there to bland, when we went fishing i would trade my walleyes for northern's, they taste better, as to bullheads, i love them, Jen smokes or grills them, If you have never eaten smoked carp you don't know how great they are.

cpj Whats wrong with fresh tuna, salmon, mackerel, jacks, cobia, there all red or dark meat ??

JAY
    Nothing wrong with those. Why? Beats me. Maybe it's a saltwater thing. I LOVE grilled king mackerel. Yet it's considered from what I've heard from several people to be trash fish. No accounting for taste and all that.
    But dark meat in catfish is disgusting.
    Last edited by cpj; 03-18-2017 at 04:34 AM.

Sound like a great day fishing and eating fish.
    We need to wet a line together one of these days
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Quote Originally Posted by Diver43 View Post
    Sound like a great day fishing and eating fish.
    We need to wet a line together one of these days
    Come on up.

JAY

Nothing wrong with those. Why? Beats me. Maybe it's a saltwater thing. I LOVE grilled king mackerel. Yet it's considered from what I've heard from several people to be trash fish. No accounting for taste and all that.
    Just like game meat, when I meet someone that tells me they don't like X fish I just assume someone gave them a refrozen piece of it caught a year ago when they cleaned out the freezer. Fresh Kingfish seasoned with salt, a touch of garlic and pepper, cut into thick steaks (not filleted) either grilled or pan fried in olive oil will make your eyes roll into the back of your head. It also makes a great smoked fish and it is GREAT cold next day!!!!!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

King mackerel an barracuda are nothing but bait. Just sayin'. Out at "Hole in the wall" we used to catch 6'+ cudas prior to tournaments...the folks on the island wanted them for eating...we traded for Wahoo salad...we got the better deal.
    Support your local Scouts!

Quote Originally Posted by roadking View Post
    King mackerel an barracuda are nothing but bait. Just sayin'. Out at "Hole in the wall" we used to catch 6'+ cudas prior to tournaments...the folks on the island wanted them for eating...we traded for Wahoo salad...we got the better deal.
    Big barracudas are not the best but young ones are GOOD eats
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by roadking View Post
    The only fish that eats better than Cuda is hogfish.

JAY

JAY, it's just on the very edge of the gator breeding season....any day now and it'll kick off. Gators will be more active day and night, and here where I am, 142 feet from a 6 thousand acre lake with the 2nd highest gator population in the state, when gators start roaring it's like being in a prehistoric wilderness! Damn things will come into the yard, too, and I have 2 pre-teen grandkids that live next to us and play in the yard. Guess what happens around my place this time of year

Quote Originally Posted by woodsrunner View Post
    JAY, it's just on the very edge of the gator breeding season....any day now and it'll kick off. Gators will be more active day and night, and here where I am, 142 feet from a 6 thousand acre lake with the 2nd highest gator population in the state, when gators start roaring it's like being in a prehistoric wilderness! Damn things will come into the yard, too, and I have 2 pre-teen grandkids that live next to us and play in the yard. Guess what happens around my place this time of year
    Absolutely nothing that doesn't happen in nature. Just less fuss.
    Dad 5-31-13

Quote Originally Posted by woodsrunner View Post
    We saw at least 50 gators, most were small, last years crop, they were back in the sloughs, the big ones were on the river bank getting a sun tan, most were 8' - 10' . They should start crocking any time, were going out there in the morning, not fishing ,just running the dogs.

JAY

King and Spanish mackerel, Ling Cod, and a LOT of other saltwater fish meat is extremely oily. Those fish taste like excrement when fried in traditional Southern methods. They taste WAY better when grilled, or baked in the oven in on a raised screen to let the oil drip out, and are primo eats when smoked. The excess oil in the fish drips out and doesn't make them a soggy mess like frying.
    "Tyranny is wonderfully ingenious in the art of inventing specious phrases to spread over its nefarious designs." From the book Tyranny Unmasked by John Taylor of Caloline County, VA. 1821

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    King and Spanish mackerel, Ling Cod, and a LOT of other saltwater fish meat is extremely oily. Those fish taste like excrement when fried in traditional Southern methods. They taste WAY better when grilled, or baked in the oven in on a raised screen to let the oil drip out, and are primo eats when smoked. The excess oil in the fish drips out and doesn't make them a soggy mess like frying.
    I've only had it grilled. Which explains why it was tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    The raised screen/oven method is how we did bluefish when I was growing up, which is another oily disaster if you try to pan fry it.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    The raised screen/oven method is how we did bluefish when I was growing up, which is another oily disaster if you try to pan fry it.
    Yep, my standard way of cooking blue fish is on the grill with some wood chips and on an old cookie sheet that I'll throw out when I'm done. Slow cooking to let the oil work out of the meat just until the internal temp is hot, and every once in a while I sop up the excess oil with some paper towels. It make for nice moist fish!

Also oily fish do not freeze well. If I get fresh King, Spanish Mackarel or Blue Fish I will cook it right away and then freeze the cooked meat. It stays MUCH better that way.

Butter cats (yellow bullhead) are a delicacy, and so are their brown and black cousins.. As are any catfish about one lb or less.

Any bigger, and they ain't fit to eat. Yes, I guess I've never had them "cooked right".

The one 8 lb channel cat I had was mush. Barely fishy tasting mush.

I like whole catfish about 7 or 8 inches long on the bone. The fillets are OK, but are often overcooked. Plus, I know a little too much about farm raised catfish fillets.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06