Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We're headed back to Nebraska!

We're headed back to Nebraska!

The Air Force assignment team loaded my gaining unit today, and I am officially headed back to where my Air Force career started: Offutt AFB, Nebraska. I get to go back to the school house for a full-up retraining and start flying the line again!

To say we're excited would be putting it mildly. We got a pre-approval for a home loan done with the bank today, and my wife is scanning Zillow, Trulia, etc. for options. I already have a lifetime hunt/habitat stamp/waterfowl stamp there, so now it's just a matter of scouting some places for this coming Fall. The school system where we are looking is excellent and our kids should love it. I cannot wait to reconnect with all of my old buddies back there.

Unfortunately, the timing of the move is such that I won't be likely to make the SE Shoot this year. We'll see how things look, but we'll almost assuredly going to be knee deep in packing or completely without household goods by the time it rolls around, but I'll keep the door open.
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 03-17-2017 at 11:19 PM.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Re: We're headed back to Nebraska!

Congratulations and good luck with the move....perhaps we can get together for some deer/pheasant hunting in KS in the future...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    Congratulations and good luck with the move....perhaps we can get together for some deer/pheasant hunting in KS in the future...
    I've already been thinking about that. It would be a great time, and the dogs would thank us for it.

Good luck with that Air dale.
    If this does not add to the forum knowledge base------you get what you get!

Congrats on becoming a cornholer. Husker. Whatever.
    So are you planning on staying there?
    People who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

The Good Life?
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Congrats (Major isn't it now, or am I a promotion behind?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

Congratulations on the move, and special congratulations for getting back to flying airplanes. If you miss the Shoot, then we'll miss you. Hang in there and have a blast back in the classroom and the air frames!
    When I hear the phrase "our democracy" spoken by politicians and talking news heads I see a red flag with a yellow hammer and sickle over their head.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Congrats on becoming a cornholer. Husker. Whatever.
    So are you planning on staying there?
    We'd LOVE to stay there and not move again for the rest of my career. The catch is that I'm eligible for command now. If I get command, odds are very good that it won't be at Offutt and would come extremely fast. I would literally be on the block to move *again* by next year.

Quote Originally Posted by early View Post
    The Good Life?
    It is! Seriously. When I first got orders there, being a city kid my whole life, I truly thought I would hate it there. By the time I got orders out, I was pissed to be leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    Congrats (Major isn't it now, or am I a promotion behind?)
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm officially wearing Lieutenant Colonel now.

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Congratulations on the move, and special congratulations for getting back to flying airplanes. If you miss the Shoot, then we'll miss you. Hang in there and have a blast back in the classroom and the air frames!
    If I miss this year, barring a deployment, I can easily come back the following year. It sucks, but the Summer move cycle is a brutal one.

I'm going to miss your visits, for sure.
    I guess it'll be my turn now, come and see you!
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

Congratulations!

For all the moves you made that you probably didn't want, this one must be even sweeter. I am truly happy for you AND your family!
    I am only an average man but, by George, I work harder at it than the average man.

Theodore Roosevelt

Well, you ain't close. But, you're closer.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Congrats on the move and back to flying! what will you be flying this time? Back to F-16's? Not sure what they have a Offute these days!

Congrats on your assignment to someplace you want to be stationed. It could have been a lot worse. Enjoy your old stomping grounds.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Congratulations! Always good to be sent where you actually WANT to go
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Congratulations, Luis! The offer will stand for next years' squirrel hunt if you can make it!

Flew into Offutt one time for 2-3 days on some kinda analysis problem....forget what , but don't remember much about the Base.

Sweet! Gongrats!
    Dang it, steers try!

Thanks a lot, guys! I can't express how happy I am to be going back. As a pinned-on Lt Col, there' little worry left in my world and the goal now is to pad out retirement house savings and get back to flying accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by jbohio View Post
    I'm going to miss your visits, for sure.
    I guess it'll be my turn now, come and see you!
    Ya better! Plenty of outdoor adventures to be had out there.
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 03-18-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsrunner View Post
    Congratulations, Luis! The offer will stand for next years' squirrel hunt if you can make it!

Flew into Offutt one time for 2-3 days on some kinda analysis problem....forget what , but don't remember much about the Base.
    Thanks, Rich. That was an amazing place and a fantastic time. If I can do it, you can bet I'd love to come back out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Well, you ain't close. But, you're closer.
    This is true. The base actually runs TX hog hunts, but they are, of course, in some area closer to Oklahoma border. I wouldn't at all mind driving in a little way if you want to meet up.
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 03-18-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Congratulations Louis sounds like a great move for you.

Sometimes the military will station you exactly to where your top assignment preference is on your "Dream Sheet" as we called them in the Army.

Sometimes we thought our Branch/Career Managers looked at where we wanted to be sent and found the furthest away from our wishes, most undesirable place they could find and sent us there. I knew one guy who didn't get along with his career manager and always put where he really wanted to be sent as the last of his choices and yep, he was sent there....where he wanted twice!

Of course, "The Needs of the Army" came first, but sometimes the stars aligned just right and they matched.

I'm sure the AF is the same.
    Last edited by Big Chief; 03-18-2017 at 02:48 PM.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

Gotta punch them tickets and get the career path schooling and assignments you need under your belt to stay competitive with your year group.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm officially wearing Lieutenant Colonel now.
    I remembered you talking about being promoted, but I'd forgotten which one it was
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

Congrats my friend. With a grand baby on the way in Colorado, I'll be passing through Omaha pretty frequently I expect.

Sako

If you're happy...I'm happy. But having driven through Nebraska many times...I never lost anything there I'd go back for.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Nebraska isn't about sights and beautiful landscapes the way the West is. It's about a stress-free life, friendly people, great schools (where we are going to be anyway) and incredible hunting and fishing opportunities. It's also a great hub for us that puts us within driving distance of my wife's parents and family/friends in South Dakota.

Nebraska isn't about sights and beautiful landscapes the way the West is. . .
    I spent a three-year afternoon in a sensory deprivation tank driving across that state. My wife had the great good fortune of being asleep from basically the Wyoming border to Omaha.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I spent a three-year afternoon in a sensory deprivation tank driving across that state. My wife had the great good fortune of being asleep from basically the Wyoming border to Omaha.

Dummy - they built the highway there so city slickers wouldn't think about moving there. It's how pieces of the frontier are preserved.

The Air Force assignment team loaded my gaining unit today, and I am officially headed back to where my Air Force career started: Offutt AFB, Nebraska. I get to go back to the school house for a full-up retraining and start flying the line again!

To say we're excited would be putting it mildly. We got a pre-approval for a home loan done with the bank today, and my wife is scanning Zillow, Trulia, etc. for options. I already have a lifetime hunt/habitat stamp/waterfowl stamp there, so now it's just a matter of scouting some places for this coming Fall. The school system where we are looking is excellent and our kids should love it. I cannot wait to reconnect with all of my old buddies back there.

Unfortunately, the timing of the move is such that I won't be likely to make the SE Shoot this year. We'll see how things look, but we'll almost assuredly going to be knee deep in packing or completely without household goods by the time it rolls around, but I'll keep the door open.
    Congratulations there LT Col.

Quote Originally Posted by bisley View Post
    Dummy - they built the highway there so city slickers wouldn't think about moving there. It's how pieces of the frontier are preserved.
    Exactly! You gotta leave the freeway to get to the good stuff. Some of my best memories were from the off-the-beatn-path woodlands and fields in Nebraska.