Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We're headed back to Nebraska!

Re: We're headed back to Nebraska!

After the last thirty years in traffic here in Colorado, just the quiet would be nice. If I close my eyes I can almost here a summer night in Nebraska.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Amen to that. As a kid who grew up in hypercompetitive stress of a big city, what some might perceive as a boring landscape in Nebraska is exactly what the doctor ordered for me.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Congratulations on getting to fly on a regular basis again.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Call me crazy but I like the open country out here has to offer. It's not boring if you really start to notice. After the almost claustrophobic feelings I had back east I am just fine with "boring".
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    Congratulations on getting to fly on a regular basis again.
    Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Elk creek View Post
    Call me crazy but I like the open country out here has to offer. It's not boring if you really start to notice. After the almost claustrophobic feelings I had back east I am just fine with "boring".
    Yup. All day long. You and I have a similar outlook.
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 03-19-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Congratulations
    Assignment teams do not often slot us where we desire, often the other side of the country or world even. Enjoy being where you want.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Congratulations on getting your dream assignment. Keep a positive thought that you don't get assigned a command to quickly, so you and family can enjoy Offutt and Nebraska, again.

Congratulations, sounds like a dream come true!
    Tim Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    We'd LOVE to stay there and not move again for the rest of my career. The catch is that I'm eligible for command now. If I get command, odds are very good that it won't be at Offutt and would come extremely fast. I would literally be on the block to move *again* by next year.

It is! Seriously. When I first got orders there, being a city kid my whole life, I truly thought I would hate it there. By the time I got orders out, I was pissed to be leaving.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm officially wearing Lieutenant Colonel now.

If I miss this year, barring a deployment, I can easily come back the following year. It sucks, but the Summer move cycle is a brutal one.
    My youngest Nephew is Army Airborne and he got Lt. Colship about two or three years back. He's had his command about a year now but it's in the Sand Box (Saudi). They say when he gets back he'll be about ready for a full Colonelship or so says my sister, his mother. maybe she's a little over optimistic. God you guys move up quick or so it seems. One year you're second Looee and the next year you're MacArthur.
    Last edited by snake284; 03-19-2017 at 04:20 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard78 View Post
    Congratulations on getting your dream assignment. Keep a positive thought that you don't get assigned a command to quickly, so you and family can enjoy Offutt and Nebraska, again.
    That is EXACTLY what we are hoping for. A command pull is gonna yank me right back out of there almost assuredly.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    My youngest Nephew is Army Airborne and he got Lt. Colship about two or three years back. He's had his command about a year now but it's in the Sand Box (Saudi). They say when he gets back he'll be about ready for a full Colonelship or so says my sister, his mother. maybe she's a little over optimistic. God you guys move up quick or so it seems. One year you're second Looee and the next year you're MacArthur.
    Having known of some mighty fine soldiers and Marines who were forced out as captains, I have to believe that the ones who make major are the very best of the best, in the majority of cases. From my POV, that is the toughest promotion to get, and beyond that, performance is being determined by full colonels and generals, directly, and they have the ability to advance a good man (or woman) as fast as they deem necessary, for the good of their particular service, and therefore, for the best interests of the country.

I'm sure that promotions don't seem to be coming that fast to the people who are earning them. The last few years have seen some pretty hard use of the military, at a time when their CIC paid lip service to their budgetary needs while taking credit for the successes that he made it harder for them to achieve. I would bet that, in this administration, good people are going to rise faster than in the previous one, due simply to the need for expansion and recovery of conventional forces and their need for upgraded training, and the maintenance thereof.

No doubt it goes by fast. I can retire in 5 freaking years.

Quote Originally Posted by bisley View Post
    Having known of some mighty fine soldiers and Marines who were forced out as captains, I have to believe that the ones who make major are the very best of the best, in the majority of cases. From my POV, that is the toughest promotion to get, and beyond that, performance is being determined by full colonels and generals, directly, and they have the ability to advance a good man (or woman) as fast as they deem necessary, for the good of their particular service, and therefore, for the best interests of the country.

I'm sure that promotions don't seem to be coming that fast to the people who are earning them. The last few years have seen some pretty hard use of the military, at a time when their CIC p9aid lip service to their budgetary needs while taking credit for the successes that he made it harder for them to achieve. I would bet that, in this administration, good people are going to rise faster than in the previous one, due simply to the need for expansion and recovery of conventional forces and their need for upgraded training, and the maintenance thereof.
    Yep, I think you're right on about the promotions speeding up under Trumps Admin. So maybe his mother is right. All I know is our family is right proud of all our soldiers and we brag on them every chance we get, LOL!!! His oldest brother is also airborne and ranger trained. He's an E-9. I tell everyone he's the one I'm most proud of because E-9 is a real leap. Lots more Lt Cols than E-9s out there. Besides I'm a blue collar type dude, no offense Six. Just the way I was raised. All of you guys are way up there on the accomplishment in life ladder as far as I'm concerned. Now my youngest son got promoted to E-7 here a few months back and I'm not too ashamed of that either. He's been in 11 years now and compared to the way he was running his life before he joined up in 2006, I'm right proud of the way he turned things around.

Anyway, Six I'm proud to know you on here and the best of everything to you. But what I really would love is to hunt with you just one time.
    Last edited by snake284; 03-19-2017 at 07:18 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by bisley View Post

I'm sure that promotions don't seem to be coming that fast to the people who are earning them. The last few years have seen some pretty hard use of the military, at a time when their CIC paid lip service to their budgetary needs while taking credit for the successes that he made it harder for them to achieve. I would bet that, in this administration, good people are going to rise faster than in the previous one, due simply to the need for expansion and recovery of conventional forces and their need for upgraded training, and the maintenance thereof.
    I'm in the same boat in that saw a lot of guys and girls - quality Airmen - not make O-5/Lt Col on my board. It's a tough world and getting tougher for the time being because of how people were cut earlier in our careers. The total allotment for people to make rank is smaller accordingly. It will be interesting to see how the landscape shift under President Trump.

Yep, I think you're right on about the promotions speeding up under Trumps Admin. So maybe his mother is right. All I know is our family is right proud of all our soldiers and we brag on them every chance we get, LOL!!! His oldest brother is also airborne and ranger trained. He's an E-9. I tell everyone he's the one I'm most proud of because E-9 is a real leap. Lots more Lt Cols than E-9s out there. Besides I'm a blue collar type dude, no offense Six. Just the way I was raised. All of you guys are way up there on the accomplishment in life ladder as far as I'm concerned. Now my youngest son got promoted to E-7 here a few months back and I'm not too ashamed of that either. He's been in 11 years now and compared to the way he was running his life before he joined up in 2006, I'm right proud of the way he turned things around.

Anyway, Six I'm proud to know you on here and the best of everything to you. But what I really would love is to hunt with you just one time.
    We'll see if I can make it happen. I have *never* hunted in Texas despite living there for a year during my navigator school training. It would great to get down there. WORLD T and I have talked about me coming down to his lease to hunt hogs, but the stars have never aligned for both of us to be in town at the same time. Maybe a waterfowl hunt will be in order.

Closer!
    Excited for ya!!!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Thanks! I'll be driving through your neck of the woods to get to Montana in the Fall as a result of the move. Keep an ear out for a call.