Thread: 22lr Rifle Question

22lr Rifle Question

I bought a new 22lr rifle this past summer. I'm having a problem with the empty cases not ejecting after about 25-50 rounds. The ejector on the bolt does not grab the case. After a very thorough cleaning the rifle will shoot fine for another 25-50 rounds. It's the only 22lr rifle I have that does this. What can I do???????
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD

Re: 22lr Rifle Question

Clean it well. The chamber may have a rough spot in it. What kind of .22 is it? Is it possible to clean from the chamber end? Could be the extractor is faulty.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    Clean it well. The chamber may have a rough spot in it. What kind of .22 is it? Is it possible to clean from the chamber end? Could be the extractor is faulty.
    Or the extractor has crud built up under it.
    People who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

When it stops extracting fired cases, will it extract unfired rounds? My 10/22 wouldn't extract unfired rounds until I replaced the extractor with a Volquartsen.............

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Sometimes its the ammo, although modern rimfire is very good.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

I've had trouble with Federal Auto Match ammo in my Buckmark. Not in a bolt gun, though.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

I just replaced an extractor as well but it was after 20,000 + rounds. Ruger extractors are crap if that's what it is. The VQ one is much sharper and harder. Also make sure the ejector is not bent or getting hung up on the bolt.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

The internet is a wonderful thing. It might help to know what type of rifle you're talking about. Many times, you can google, "Extraction Problems, Ruger 10-22" for instance and get a whole page of links to discussions about it.

What kind of rifle?
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

You said you bought a new .22... is that new to you, or brand new out of the box?

The brass case is supposed to expand a bit and seal the chamber from gas and crude backfilling it. Are the cases really dirty? If so you might have an oversized chamber or need to change ammo to a brand that seals better.

Case extraction is a couple of things. The .22 LR is a straight walled case, so during the extraction process chamber is in contact at all times with the case as it is being slid out ( unlike a tapered case like a 9mm.) Clean and smooth chamber walls and ammunition cases make for the least friction. If extraction becomes more difficult after 25 rounds, the chamber walls might be getting crudy. This increases the pressure the extractor needs to stay on the rim during the extraction process. The extractor needs to be sharp / square to connect well with the brass. if it is worn or rounded it may slip when it has more resistance when trying to pull out the spent case. Make sure the extractor is sharp / square and clean.

The extractor is given pressure to contact the rim by a spring. If the extractor spring is weak it will not provide enough pressure to hold the extractor in place when it encounters more resistance.

The extractor might be slightly warped or too thick or there might be crud in the bolt groove that the extractor rides in, making the springs pressure less effective. The extractor needs to be perfectly flat and the groove clean of debris. Oil in the track can attract dirt that will imped the extractor pressure on the the rim.

SO.......

Clean the chamber.

Look at your ammo cases

Consider changing ammo

Take the bolt apart and clean it

Make sure the bolt groove is clean AND dry, or with just a little oil

Make sure the extractor is flat

Make sure the extractor is not too thick or warped and rides in the groove free of being bound up.

Make sure the spring is installed correctly and places the pressure on the extractor to hold the rim

Make sure the extractor's catching edge is sharp and square to the ammunition rim.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

I'd suspect both crud buildup and a dull extractor is causing your problem with extraction. If the rifle is semi auto and there is an extractor cut in the barrel breech, that is an area that collects crud like crazy and anything but aggressive cleaning of that extractor cut will recur regularly. Two words for cleaning this area; dental picks. Cheap stainless steel ones are sold at flea markets and online, and can be bent and sharpened to get in there and scrape out the crud.

Check the extractor slot in the bolt, too and clean it and its slot squeaky clean. They both collect crud and crud can cam the extractor away from the case head.
    When I hear the phrase "our democracy" spoken by politicians and talking news heads I see a red flag with a yellow hammer and sickle over their head.

The problem, generally, is rimfire 22s "powder up" more than most centerfire

calibers. Blame the powder, it's "lighter", apparently. Anyway, internals need a

good cleaning. Be especially sure to clear the chamber of any unwanted debris,

varnish, or powder residue. You may be getting a momentary pressure seal in the

chamber, which is just enough to cause the extractor to jump the cartridge rim.

Quote Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
    You may be getting a momentary pressure seal in the

chamber, which is just enough to cause the extractor to jump the cartridge rim.
    Say huh?
    People who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Or the extractor has crud built up under it.
    This here has happened to me. Hardened carbon under the lip will cause this.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.