Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Gun - To Have Good Friends...Be a Good Friend

New Gun - To Have Good Friends...Be a Good Friend

My rancher friend, who has done so much for me and my family the past few years found out 2 weeks ago that his wife of 43 years had Stage 4 Terminal Cancer. The night he found out, he immediately called me and asked if I could come over. Without a second thought.......I ran out the door. I spent the night with him in his barn.........being a friend.

He took her to the city to get initial treatment. I've been caring for his ranch the past two weeks. Feeding the livestock/deer/pets and tending to daily chores twice a day on top of my normal job. He didn't ask me to do this. The second I knew he was taking her away for care.........I told him his ranch and home were taken care of.

Well, they were supposed to come home today after two weeks of testing and chemo. But, something came up and they needed to do another procedure today. So, he called me to tell me. I said his ranch would be cared for as long as he needed. We were friends and that's what friends do.

A few minutes later.........he texted me and said to go by the LGS and pick up something they were holding for me.

I did and this was waiting for me.

We had talked in the past about guns, as we oft did. I'd mentioned that I wanted to get one of these for "critter gett'n". Apparently, he had listened.

I have not helped him for gain or reward. I helped him because we are friends. But, in the midst of staring down the potential loss of his beloved wife...........he expressed his gratitude. I told him I was going to kick his butt when he returned. He said, "Ok."

Anyway............I dolled it up and headed to the range this afternoon.

Keep in mind. This ain't "Fer look'n at." It's a purposeful gun. It's for putting food in the pot when I'm out and about on extended forays. It's for critter dispatch at night in a quiet sort of way. It's to be called upon as a "Not Dead Yet" gun. And it'll do it all very well.

I mounted an Aimpoint Micro on top and a Surefire Brake/Attachment on the front. This will be the basic set-up.

When needed, I have a light that will fit on the rail for night time escapades.

There is also that thing that goes on the front when needed.

Anyway.

At the range, I quickly realized that the trigger basically sucks. It's crisp. But heavy.

Sighted it in with Remington SV 40gr RN bullets. Not exactly match grade stuff, but it's what I have lifetime supply of. It did pretty good at 25 yards for bulk ammo and a red dot that basically covered the paster. When I did my part, at least. The good news is that it has the same POI with that thing on the front as well.

Being the first time I've ever fired a .22lr with a brake attached, I was surprised at how LOUD it was. I mean.........it takes the standard .22lr from acceptable levels to...........you don't want to shoot it without hearing protection. Conversely.........that thing on the front takes it to a level of............hehehehehehehehehehehe.

This is going to be a right handy little gun.

I am torn with what emotions I should be feeling about this. I am excited about the gun. But, I am not excited about how and why I got it. I received it from a friend who is expressing his gratitude towards me. I get that. But, I received it from a friend who is expressing his gratitude towards me for taking care of his ranch while his wife dies.

It's going to take me awhile to sort that one out in my head and really accept this gun. I am grateful for it. I am NOT grateful for the circumstances under which I received it.

Gotta figure that one out on my own, I guess.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Re: New Gun - To Have Good Friends...Be a Good Friend

My very best for your friend and his wife.
    Your a good man Zee.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Awesome setup Zee. The circumstances really suck. My prayers for your friend and his family.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

He's a pretty cool guy. Like a surrogate grandfather to my son. How do I repay that?

He LOOKS like my kind of people.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

My for your friends wife, him and and their families.

Gifts like that are always bitter/sweet.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    He's a pretty cool guy. Like a surrogate grandfather to my son. How do I repay that?

]
    How? By accepting the gracious gifts he gives you. He enjoys what he does for your family. His "payment" comes from the joy he sees in you and your son. The look on his face tells me this. I know very few men who enjoy being photographed. The smiles, while maybe not forced, aren't truley genuine either. An old Texas rancher doesn't strike me as the type who likes to be photographed. Yet, in every picture he has a genuine smile.

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Sorry for your friends troubles. I know them all to well. Cancer is the devil, pure and simple.

As far as the gun, looks nice. Tandemkross and Volquarsten are your friends for upgrades. Bushing and sear are must haves.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

He's a pretty cool guy. Like a surrogate grandfather to my son. How do I repay that? ]
    You don't, just keep doing what your doing, its obvious he thinks of you and your son as more than just friends, besides real friends don't keep score.

JAY

PS He and his wife are in our prayers
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

You already have, but never will. He feels the same.
    Last edited by Michakav; 03-18-2017 at 05:35 AM.

Very Kool gun, but what you share with your friend has no price tag. You are both blessed.
    I hope his wifes treatment has positive resuld.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Prayers for your friends wife
    There is no doubt that this gift is from his heart.

Very special friendship, and gun. Prayers out for his wife.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

You're a good man....doing what good men do. Please tell your friend that there are some folks up here in the Great White North who are keeping his wife and him in our prayers.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

No matter all our crazy past crap, you did well Zeeman!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Much grats, all.

Tending to the ranch requires one to be good with the ladies. It's more than just throwing cubes out. All the animals are accustomed to individual attention. Belly rubs. Ear scratches. Hand feeding.

I had had some big shoes to fill.

It's all about relationships, and it always has been...
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

He is obviously close to his animals. Your photos tell us that. For you to be there and take care of his animals so he can focus and dedicate his energy toward his wife-- a pistol is a small token of gratitude. It is something that he knows that you will enjoy and use (and you ain't exactly the easiest guy to buy guns for either) and he most certainly enjoyed giving it to you. The best thing you can do is accept his gift graciously.

And like Jaywapiti said, real friends don't keep score.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Bishop View Post
    It's all about relationships, and it always has been...
    Well said! I believe that you go to Heaven simply because others that preceded you want you there with them. Prayers headed your friend's way...

BTW even stage 4 is not a death sentence. I personally met a woman who was diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic cancer 9 YEARS ago. God decides when he needs you back, not disease, not the doctors.
    Last edited by Wambli Ska; 03-18-2017 at 09:18 AM.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

I know exactly how you feel. I did a friend a favour cos he needed help and as a result he gave me the 1908 Mauser Model B sporter in 10.75X68.

Like you, I did it cos I wanted to and chose to help him out. Thats what friends do. I didnt expect anything in return. It took me a long time to reconcile that he gave me a gift as an acknowledgement of what I did.

Look upon it this way ( as I do now). Reverse the situation and put yourself in his position........Would you want to show your appreciation to him if it was you that needed a hand?
    If the answer is yes........then treasure the gift, use it with the knowledge that it comes from a very special person in your life and enjoy the memories every time you pick it up. Dont let 'guilt' or the circumstances under which he gave it to you diminish the value of the gift and the special friendship you have.

Prayers coming from down under for his wife and him.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

As Enzo said, stage 4 isn't a death sentence but can be depending on whether it's non small cell or small cell. I speak from personal experience and pray every day that my wife has many more years at my side. Prayers for your friend and his wife that it's non small cell and treatable. You are a good friend and neighbor so take his "thank you" with gratitude.

Some pretty intense posts in this thread.
    You've given that Rancher/Friend so much it just shows from his heart to his face.
    Right now it's peace of mind in his worst of times that some of his other loves are cared for.
    Just keep on giving.
    The guns just a symbol of his love for you.

By being the kind of friend you are. But you didn't need us to tell you that.

Your friends will be in my prayers.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin

Metastaic cancer used to be handled differently than it is today. I can tell you from personal experience that the newest medications can make a huge difference in a persons prognosis.

I am fond of saying tht cancer is a word, not a sentance. Each person's situation is different, so I won't assume anything here.

Cancer sucks. Being a good friend, is priceless. Cherish it.

Sent you an IM...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Z, I really can't add anything else to what has already been said here, but I'll say it anyway: you're a good man, and I'm proud to have you in my 'family'. We'll keep all of you in our prayers, and you have my number.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
    NRA Endowment Member

Zedrick, I've been on both sides of this situation and I can tell you it's not easy on either side.

I can also tell you, just as you're doing what you're doing because, as you put it, "it needed to be done" your friend did what he did for the same reason.

Prayers out for all of you in this trying time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Karma man ... Karma.

Do good (as you have done) and it comes back!

And your friend's wife. ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

There's no point in trying to analyze how you should feel. You are helping a dear friend in the only way you can. He is acknowledging your friendship in the only way he can think of. He is in a dark place, and thinking fondly of a friend lets some light in. It's what people do who are not huggers or criers. You know this.