Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Gun - To Have Good Friends...Be a Good Friend

Re: New Gun - To Have Good Friends...Be a Good Friend

Very nice and touching tribute. The gun will become a hand-me-down. The story will undoubtedly be told many times.

My mom was given 2 to 5 years after her 2nd cancer diagnosis. She lived 23 more years (and died of heart disease, not cancer). Some people can do it, and some can't. It took a complete lifestyle change. Only healthy food, lots of walks - every day, whether or not she wanted to. Exercise, fresh air and determination. It helped build up her strength so her body could fight.

There are non-traditional cancer treatments. Doctors aren't willing to explore. I know this man's wife. She used to be part of the family. This IS a true story and not an urban legend.

http://illegallyhealed.com/man-tells...ed-his-cancer/

As a former cancer nurse for 6 years, I can tell you that "HIS" cancer was incurable under current methodology. The government would rather thousands of people die than to make legal things that are currently illegal for nearly purely political reasons.

Just throwing this out.

My best to his family and to his wife.

My best to you for being there for him.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

It may take a while to get there, but the end result will be an heirloom that will hold extra special meaning for you and eventually your son.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

The guy is taking the time to think of you - and pretty carefully judging by that piece - while at the same time the world is kicking him in the teeth. Special fella, no question.

As to "how to repay that", that's pretty easy - just keep raising your boy like you're doing. It's got to provide a great sense of relief when old codgers can look at a school age kid and NOT feel the urge to ask "What is the world coming to?" I expect that Ruger box contains no small amount of "ya done good".

But if said pistol gets used as an element in a combined Zee/Zee Jr. operation to eradicate all destructive pests on his ranch, that would probably work too.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Stories like this always make me smile....and show the goodness in the world. A distant relation of mine in KS heard from his doctor that he needed heart surgery. He told the Dr. he would tend to it after harvest season. Dr. told him that if he didn't have the surgery there wouldn't be a harvest season for him. So he was admitted to the hospital, figuring his crop was lost in spite of the fact that he had been told by friends and family "not to worry about it." While he was recovering he found that his crops had been harvested, grain had been taken to the grain elevator and his equipment was cleaned and maintained before it was put away. His critters had been fed and watered and his fences mended,

Seems that every time there is a disaster of some sort out there, there is an army of good people willing to help set things right....and when asked why, they get a simple answer..."This is who we are..."
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    How? By accepting the gracious gifts he gives you. He enjoys what he does for your family. His "payment" comes from the joy he sees in you and your son. The look on his face tells me this. I know very few men who enjoy being photographed. The smiles, while maybe not forced, aren't truley genuine either. An old Texas rancher doesn't strike me as the type who likes to be photographed. Yet, in every picture he has a genuine smile.
    This. People derive joy from rewarding their friends.

ALCON
    If this does not add to the forum knowledge base------you get what you get!

Hope your friend's wife kicks cancer's butt so hard it can't be found. New treatments for it now, so there is hope. They are both in my prayers.

How do you accept the gift? With humble thanks. Men like him can't really put into words what they feel so they do something like that to show their gratitude and thanks for your being there to help them when they're in a tight spot. I'd suspect that he thinks a lot of your friendship and this is his way of showing it.

The smiles with you and your son look like the genuine article to me, too. Looks like he's genuinely happy that your son had success in the hunt.

And like others have already said, real friends don't keep score. They just do what needs doing, when it needs doing.
    When I hear the phrase "our democracy" spoken by politicians and talking news heads I see a red flag with a yellow hammer and sickle over their head.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    He's a pretty cool guy. Like a surrogate grandfather to my son. How do I repay that?

Without a doubt, you bring your son around as much as possible and he'd love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." -Ronald Reagan on the economic philosophy of big government.

So many true replies. You and your friends are in my prayers. Your son will cherish this pistol, tell the stories and show the pictures when he's an old man. His child will own it and tell the stories after him. Your friend has given you an heirloom and tool to teach the future generations how a man should live.

God bless all of you!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter

Thanks again guys. For all the kind words.

On a better note, I ran subsonic ammo through the gun today.

Yeah. That's kinda cool.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

He's a pretty cool guy. Like a surrogate grandfather to my son. How do I repay that?

By being his friend.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.

Sub's with a suppressor is fun
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Prayers for your friend and his wife.

Luis

ps. You might want to send him to www.chrisbeatcancer.com - lots of great info there.
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

Man, that's a tough one to solve. That's an incredible act in the face of awful circumstances. But, it's also a really incredible piece for what you need it for. Enjoy it regardless because I'm sure that's what he wants you to do.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Younger folks keep the older ones doing the things that they loved to do at that age, you are giving an opportunity for them to have some fun that is out of the normal part of the lifestyle they lead as an elder. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by 1965Jeff View Post
    Younger folks keep the older ones doing the things that they loved to do at that age, you are giving an opportunity for them to have some fun that is out of the normal part of the lifestyle they lead as an elder. Enjoy.

Speaking of which, he enjoys shooting and long range as well. So, we shoot a lot together. Here he is doing some alt-position shooting with me.

Standing supported at 1,100 yards. And he's a lefty shooting right handed for this shot. He hit the steel several times.

Accepting that gift probably meant the world to him. With all that stress in his life, being able to take a little time away from that, and focusing on doing a solid for you, was no doubt a welcome break for his mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Just Prayed for his wife, and the rest of those involved.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Thanks for sharing the story. Can't add much more than what the others have already said. You all will be in my prayers, that you continue to be blessed with great friends as you are a great friend, that your friend have the strength and guidance he needs during this time and for the best possible outcome for his wife.

You didnt get a gift because of what you did. You got a gift because of who you are.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Varmintmist View Post
    You didnt get a gift because of what you did. You got a gift because of who you are.
    That's pretty much half the equation. The other half is him. I already knew your mettle. Now, without meeting him, I know his.

When my Dad passed, I gave his favorite deer rifle, (which I'd taken a loan out at 16 years old to buy for his birthday), to our dearest hunting companion. It was the only way I could express how much he'd meant to the two of us over the years.

When I gave it to him couple of hours after the funeral, he said, "You know, I'll never hunt this rifle".

I said, "That's okay...we just wanted you to have it".

You never know what small actions in your life make a huge impact on anothers.

He was thanking you in the best way he knew. Don't second guess.

Enjoy. That's what he really needs you to do.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    This. People derive joy from rewarding their friends.

Yep he enjoys helping you>just do what you can to help him and accept his Gifts> like was said, he enjoys rewarding you. And he enjoys your joy at his rewards. Of course this is about him and his feelings so just act appreciative and he will feel good. Sometimes you piss me off, but then I think you would be the best friend a guy could have.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    Sometimes you piss me off, but then I think you would be the best friend a guy could have.
    Yeah, that seems to be the way of things. You either like me or hate me. There is very little "tolerate".

Quote Originally Posted by Varmintmist View Post
    Wow! That's intensely profound!

I honestly didn't know you all could be so insightfully deep. I'm kinda floored by the responses.

This place never ceases to impress.

Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    That's pretty much half the equation. The other half is him. I already knew your mettle. Now, without meeting him, I know his.
    I learned from others.

I had a similar, but not quite equal situation some time ago. I went a little out of my way to help one of my night class students rebuild an old Chevy 6 cylinder engine for a truck he was restoring, one that had belonged to his father. He offered to pay me for the extra effort. When I told him the school system frowned on instructors taking tips or other gratuities, he didn't insist, but there just happened to be a brand new 16 gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster in my car when I left class a few weeks later. A couple of years later, I stored the same truck for him at my farm for a year while he did a National Guard deployment in Afghanistan, and he brought an 1860-vintage Enfield Pattern 53 rifle back with him. That one's hanging above my fireplace now.
    Jerry
    The masochist says "HIT ME! The sadist says "NO!"
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

I learned from others.
    As do we all.

Zee, I am in downright AWE of both you and your rancher friend.

Goddess Bless the both of you - AND his wife. I had a dance sister with stage 4 who managed to live another decade, most of it with a good quality of life. So as others here have already said, it ain't necessarily over yet!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Wow! That's intensely profound!

I honestly didn't know you all could be so insightfully deep. I'm kinda floored by the responses.

This place never ceases to impress.
    Dats cuz we gots big tinkers in r haids.

Been there, and had to figure it out. Its kind of like there are people I would take off work and drive all day to help if they made a phone call. The first thing you mentioned was that is was unnecessary, which is why he did it.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

"Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." - Matthew 25:40

Prayers for blessings on your friend and his family.

We all show our gratitude in different ways, and if we listen closely, we can always hear it when it is expressed. Our job then is to return it and help it to grow and flourish.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.

Prayers out for your friend.

Not much I can add about the gun.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov