Thread: Truck Question-- Stumped!

Truck Question-- Stumped!

One of my work trucks is a 2005 GMC Sierra 2500. The transmission took a crap on it and we went ahead and threw one in from a junk yard while the other one is getting rebuilt just to get it back on the road and working again. The junk yard one came out of a cube van. While the boys were under there, they found a bad starter cable (or something-- I am trying to find out the details right now) and got that fixed.

Here is the deal... the truck starts and idles. On the dash, it says "engine running fast" or something like that (again, trying to find out the details on that0. The throttle doesn't work, and turning the key off doesn't shut off the truck. Either does disconnecting the battery. To shut it off, you actually have to turn the key back to "run" again.

Any clue what is going on? It is a 2WD with the 6.0L gas engine and the 4L80-E transmission.

Thanks!

Re: Truck Question-- Stumped!

Go down to your local parts house and buy or rent a OBD II scanner. After you have the codes a quick google search should give you a better starting point.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

I got one. I will check it out in a bit.

Ok-- the starter... I guess the solenoid was bad and they had that replaced.

Should have bought a ford.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Bad starter cable from corrosion or did it melt? Maybe the cable shorted on frame and cooked the computer?

I assume the junkyard knows which transmissions are compatible??
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    I got 3. Two with bad motors and one that I just put a new transmission in.

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Boy Deuce View Post
    Go down to your local parts house and buy or rent a OBD II scanner. After you have the codes a quick google search should give you a better starting point.
    It says it can't connect to the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    It says it can't connect to the computer.
    I'd say this is probably a clue. I'm willing to bet the computer/engine interface ain't.

Now cue the folks who will complain about computers in vehicles....
    Overkill is underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Yeah, that's what I thought, too, until I got one.

Never again. That had to be the worst piece of

garbage in the entire history of ICEs.

The OBD port has a fuse you could check. It is the same as the cigarette lighter. Had this fuse go on one of the kids Cobalts.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

It's a throw away society Jerm. Toss it and get a new one.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Look for a pinched or damaged wire harness going to the transmission. Chances are they sandwiched some wires between the bellhousing and the engine block, and it's shorting out some signals to the computer. Most computers have dedicated power and ground wiring, and if a harness gets disturbed, the OBD connector might be losing its power or signal reference.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

Will do Jerry. I just got a text from the boys saying they think it is the same thing. They are thinking something got pinched when they put the new transmission back up.

It was a ground wire that was part of a transmission wiring harness. Truck runs and drives great now. Thanks!

Tell the boys to be careful!
    But, in a not so nice, construction worker kind of way.
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

WORD.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

I'd say this is probably a clue. I'm willing to bet the computer/engine interface ain't.

I have no real problem with computers in vehicles. BUT I DO HAVE A HUGE PROBLEM with the computers and components connected to them being supplied by low bidders of questionable quality, and said parts being configured in such a manner and installed in ways that are highly detrimental to their placement in a vehicle that experiences some of the worst environmental conditions and constant vibration and shock. All that stuff might work fine in the confines of a big enclosed testing facility, but fail miserably in the real world.

I say this from having the experience of riding on low bid ships, airplanes, and other vehicles in the service that experienced failures that did not lead to confidence in said vehicles. And the civilian marketplace is filled with this low bid corner shaving tripe. Example that comes to mind is cell phones. WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would design a phone that is carried around in all sorts of weather conditions, and is subject to shock from dropping that DOES NOT have a completely waterproof enclosure and possess a screen that is made of a material that is not so fragile that a simple drop from shoulder height or less shatters the screen like a sheet of glass dropped from 10 stories up onto the sidewalk below?

I don't have a problem with technology, per se; I have a huge problem with the design, implementation, and installation procedures that make said technology extremely unreliable in the REAL world applications.
    Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: "Half of writing history is hiding the truth."
    “He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.” Elbert Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    I don't have a problem with technology, per se; I have a huge problem with the design, implementation, and installation procedures that make said technology extremely unreliable in the REAL world applications.
    This.

And technology where it really isn't needed, ie technology for its own sake. Not to mention over-priced - if that $1,500 car computer was priced at the $50 it cost to make it, it wouldn't be such a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    This.

And technology where it really isn't needed, ie technology for its own sake. Not to mention over-priced - if that $1,500 car computer was priced at the $50 it cost to make it, it wouldn't be such a problem!
    I agree with the application of unneeded technology and complication. A lot of the stuff that is computer controlled on a car now would be cheaper, easier and more reliable the older way.

Oh, and someone needs to come up with a way to make a cheap computer like a raspberry pi or arduino replace automotive computers. Download an image, load it into memory plug it in, and go. Make it like a $150 kit with computer, wire harness adapter, and access to download.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    I agree with the application of unneeded technology and complication. A lot of the stuff that is computer controlled on a car now would be cheaper, easier and more reliable the older way.
    Yea, like the friggin' HORN!
    Oh, and someone needs to come up with a way to make a cheap computer like a raspberry pi or arduino replace automotive computers. Download an image, load it into memory plug it in, and go. Make it like a $150 kit with computer, wire harness adapter, and access to download.
    One of the touted "big advantages" of technology when I was in tech school, was how cheap it is. Now we have $1,500 car computers and $500 smart fones. Uh, no.