Thread: Gun show find!

Gun show find!

First some musings on the current trend of shows...i haven't been in many years. The amount of tactifool stuff was way beyond what i expected!!! Gun dealers forgot the gun scare is over. Reloading kit costs about normal, but i forgot how much old or oddball was to be had!

And gun deals, are pretty much non existent anymore. EXCEPT.....

Ruger tang safety in......257 Ackley!! And it has either had a trigger job, or an aftermarket. That thing is CRISP and very light.

This was one of the only guns i felt were correctly priced, and its prefect for my dad! Light, good balance, and a bit more oomph than that Mauser 257 I was originally going with. Plus a little cheaper. So, now I've got to round up dies/ bullets and ammo for fireforming. Or buy regular 257 dies/brass and build FF loads....

Also...... suggestions on a scope?? I'm thinking fixed power Weaver or Leupold 6x, to keep weight down and keep the gun as easy to operate
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Re: Gun show find!

Nice!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Fixed 6x isn't my flavor, but if your pa like it then it's a good choice for simplicity, as mentioned.

I'd love to run across a sporterized Mauser like that in .30-06.

My 1903 is nice enough, but barrel swaps are a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Outside that 30-06 i picked up a few months back, I haven't seen any decent deals on sporterized.... anything. Well, there WAS a good one today in 22-250 for 300 something, but most have been in the 500 range. Cabelas has a CZ550 FS carbine 30-06 for that price, but that is WAY nicer then the bubba guns I'm seeing.
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Nice! May I be the first to say how bad you suck! 257 AI is one cartridge I'd love to own.

On a rifle like that I'd prefer a variable scope. My preference for a woods gun would be 1.5 x5 with a 2x7 right behind it especially if there was any chance for 200 yards plus. My experience has been to set the scope on a low power and if you need more there will be time to crank it up.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter

I saw the ad for the show thismorning. Last time I went, the odd ball stuff I was in search of remained unfound, not to mention my little boy rushing my out the door.

I had an old tang safety 77 years ago. It was laser accurate. Traded it off cuz the barrel was to heavy.

Original owner likely cared for the trigger and everything else on that one being a PO improved.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

A fixed 6x with a fine enough duplex reticle would be fine on deer and elk to 300 yards.

I have an ilder Leupold FXII 6x that my only consternation with it being the reticle is too thick.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

nice
    Go Cowboys go

Nice classic in what I consider Akley's best.

Beautiful!!!

I have a similar one in .308. Shoots ~5/8" - 3/4" with Hornady 150 gr SST loads.

I keep staring at one in a LGS with the same "varmint" barrel in .243, but it has a $600 price tag on it. Been there for over a year now.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

You get a serious "you suck" for that find. Congrats.

Sako

That's about a perfect score for what you were after. Congrats!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Nice score Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

Dealer had a few other things i was looking for too! Had a 375 H&H die set missing the seater, 12$ and Some older CH 300 Wby dies, $12. Now I'll be able to load my own fireforming loads for the 375 Wby, I'll just use the seater die from that set

Nice pickup!

I'm a "middle -of-the-road" type, I'd recommend a 3-9X40, but find a great

brand name on sale, the best way to find a good optic at a decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    That's about a perfect score for what you were after. Congrats!
    Right?? Its as prefect as I could hope to find. The look on my dad's face is still making me smile. I'm really looking forward to loading for it. And now that leaves very few caliber gaps in the safe.

Score!

I would say you suck, but you really don't. You braved today's brand of gun show for that find...so you earned it!
    Last edited by TrueTone911; 03-19-2017 at 04:08 AM.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

Will Rogers

Wow, that is genuinely weird you ran across that after you started that thread, that is about perfect I would say, hope it is a shooter. I would go 3X9X whatever your dad wants for a scope.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

PERFECT!!!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Great find! I would go with a 4x if you want a fixed scope. I had a 6x and I struggled getting on target quickly.

JMHO
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by bellcat View Post
    Great find! I would go with a 4x if you want a fixed scope. I had a 6x and I struggled getting on target quickly.

JMHO
    I may go 4x. My dad hunted for decades with a 4x and seemed to do alright. Figured the 6x would help with the old eyes, but target acquisition is a really good point. Elk can pop up real close, and that is a LOT of fur to work out in a snap shot.

Great find!!
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    Wow, that is genuinely weird you ran across that after you started that thread, that is about perfect I would say, hope it is a shooter. I would go 3X9X whatever your dad wants for a scope.
    The longer barrel and lighter weight just made it prefect. When i cancelled the layaway for the first 257, i checked it out and it was heavier for sure, magnum contour or a little thicker. I think this will work great. I'm going to put him in for an antelope tag too, see if we can't get 3 animals in on that gun. Or maybe a small exotic ranch, hogs and goats/sheep. A little pricey compared to TX, but we can drive there in a few hours.

Just a thought and it matters not at all but looking at the grain on that stock, if you stripped, sanded and refinished to a lighter shade stain you'd have a spectacular piece of wood on that gun!!!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post
    Right?? Its as prefect as I could hope to find. The look on my dad's face is still making me smile. I'm really looking forward to loading for it. And now that leaves very few caliber gaps in the safe.
    He's gonna love it, and as Chiro said, it's eerie that this particular gun was right there after you started that thread.

Speaking of caliber gaps, you just reminded me that I've needed to find a new 6.5 platform ever since parting with my Grendel...hmmm...
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    He's gonna love it, and as Chiro said, it's eerie that this particular gun was right there after you started that thread.

Speaking of caliber gaps, you just reminded me that I've needed to find a new 6.5 platform ever since parting with my Grendel...hmmm...
    My 260 Savage barrel should be here tomorrow, so I'm covered there. Although I was REALLY looking towards the 6.5x47 Lapua or 6.5 Creedmoor. But that Savage barrel fell in my lap, and with the 2.95" mag...no reason not to go 260. I'll shoot you a text with a link to an article you'll enjoy about the 3. A 6.5x57 would also be really cool, very classic if you set it up as a Hunter vs target.

Just a thought and it matters not at all but looking at the grain on that stock, if you stripped, sanded and refinished to a lighter shade stain you'd have a spectacular piece of wood on that gun!!!
    I had the same thought, theres a lot of character i can't get in the pics. I'm going to try my hand at refinishing on my mauser first, then maybe the A5 or M77 mkII before tackling the 257. Don't want to screw it up