Thread: Reloading

Reloading

I've been out of the loop for a while due to medical conditions and moving to a different home. I am way behind the new powder being used today. I'm shooting a 9mm 115gr. fmj bullets and if anybody can point me in the right direction on some of the new powders I would greatly appreciate it. I'll mainly be punching holes in paper with some new loads.

Re: Reloading

If I had medical conditions, Id get the kid at local big box to cart a case of factory loads out to my trunk.

I don't load that number, but a couple a guys here do and will set you up.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

AA #7 or CFE pistol

If you need bullets. Xtreme.com has 15% off and free shipping this weekend. Good bullets.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

I just use Unique, Bullseye and Titegroup cause I have it to burn. Can find loads for many calibers with those like 9mm/.32 ACP/.45 ACP/ .38/.357/.45 Colt

Plenty newer powders out there I haven't tried yet, but not sure if I wanna mess with success.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

I've got some sizeable quantities of several older powders that I want to use up before I even consider any of the new stuff. Heck, I still have the better part of an eight pounder of 452AA from my IPSC days and that stuff hasn't been made in over 20 years. A lot of the newer powders run higher velocities with lower pressures than the older stuff so I'm anxious to learn a bit more about it also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    I would drop trou too, and because I am a caring person I would've given that young man a hug.

Quote Originally Posted by early View Post
    If I had medical conditions, Id get the kid at local big box to cart a case of factory loads out to my trunk.

I don't load that number, but a couple a guys here do and will set you up.

That. Today's ammo prices suggest reloading handgun ammo doesn't always pay off. Especially 9 mm.

If you want to make pistol bullets go fast, look at Vihta Vuori powders. Expensive for plinking but great competition powder.

Not really true JKP. The more you shoot, the more you save. Even 9mm.

Have not stated loading 9mm yet, but I will. Deprimed and cleaned about 1000 cases last weekend. I have been loading .38 Special and .45ACP, mostly with Bullseye, Unique, TiteGroup, Power Pistol, AA# 2, 5 and 7. I'm sure one or more of those will be just fine for 9mm as well.

So far, Bullseye and the AA powders have been my favorites.
    Last edited by TrueTone911; 03-19-2017 at 03:56 AM.
    I am only an average man but, by George, I work harder at it than the average man.

Theodore Roosevelt

When i loaded 9mm the only powder i used was AA-7 for all bullet weights.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

I have about 13 lbs of AA#7. I expect it will be gone in about a year. My favorite for .40 and 9mm. I loaded some +P 9mm 124 gr. plated to try in my shield and they worked great. Saved some out to chrono one of these days.

I won't load handgun ammo. Not worth it to me. I only load rifle ammo, and then only like 20 or 30 at a time. Except for .44 Mag / Spec ammo where it's cheaper to reload than to buy el cheapo new ammo.

I can't imagine how long it would take my lazy ass to load 50 rounds of 9mm.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

last year I bought 1000 cast, sized and lubed 125-127 grain 9mm bullets for $25.00. and 1000 147gr lead cast .38 bullets for $30.00. Bass pro near Pigeon Forge had 115 gr plated round nose 9mm and Bullseye powder. I should be good for a while as Bullseye is my go-to powder for most pistol loads. Only loading .204 rifle now as I quit deer hunting last year. May load some .223 with the new Endron powder.

Thanks for information. I'm coming to the end of my Unique have about 1/2 of my Bullseye and just wondering what to replace them with

Quote Originally Posted by big elk View Post
    Thanks for information. I'm coming to the end of my Unique have about 1/2 of my Bullseye and just wondering what to replace them with
    If they work for you, keep them. They're both great powders. No point in reinventing the wheel..

Quite honestly, at ~$11 a box, it's not worth it to load 9mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

I also use Red Dot which is similar to Bullseye in pistol calibres...

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    I won't load handgun ammo. Not worth it to me. I only load rifle ammo, and then only like 20 or 30 at a time. Except for .44 Mag / Spec ammo where it's cheaper to reload than to buy el cheapo new ammo.

I can't imagine how long it would take my lazy ass to load 50 rounds of 9mm.
    I haven't loaded handgun rounds since the darkest days of the shortages, which happened to coincide with my peak handgun shooting phase. I have the brass, powder and some bullets, so I can, if necessary. Instead, I have been buying factory ammo for my infrequent practice sessions, and just barely maintaining my average skills. Something will eventually motivate me to get back to the presses, but for now, I'm fine with factory 9mm prices, and the occasional good deal on .45 ACP.

You sure can't buy loaded 9mm ammo like Hornady XTPs, Nosler HPs and others for $10 a box of 50 and not so sure that stuff is nearly as accurate as as the "Good Stuff", acceptable for range work/plinking..... yes.

You reload and enjoy it, 9mm should be no different than other calibers, buy in bulk and load them to your likes.

I think you come close to breaking even between the two on 9mm FMJ when compared to factory 9mm ammo.
    It may or may not be worth your time, effort and expense to reload 9mm.

I see different brands of 9mm FMJ on sale for $9.99- 10.99-11.99 and more for the quality stuff. Most is 115 grain and the 124 will cost more ,usually.

HP ammo is usually that much and more fer a 20 or 25 rd box. Sometimes full 50 rd boxes of HP is available, but only the cheaper imported stuff is under 20 bucks a box.

Hard to say just how much you may gain in accuracy reloading 9mm though since most Wondernines are not tack drivers. Maybe some work with a longer barreled (more than 2", 3" or 4") revolver like one with a 6" bbl would shed some light on this or with 9mm pistols like a Sig P-210.
    Last edited by Big Chief; 03-20-2017 at 04:12 PM.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAAK View Post
    If you want to make pistol bullets go fast, look at Vihta Vuori powders. Expensive for plinking but great competition powder.

Not really true JKP. The more you shoot, the more you save. Even 9mm.
    What he says! Especially if the guy next to you doesn't pick up his once fired brass! 9mm.....Bullet .09, primer .02, powder .02 cents = .13 cents per round vs. .22-.24 cents per round. And its just plain enjoyable reloading.

Plus you can make it the way you want it, not the way some beancounter says it should be made.