Thread: 35 Whelen, who is loading it?

35 Whelen, who is loading it?

And what do you like? Bullets, powder, large rifle or magnum primers? Necked up brass vs headstamped brass?

Thinking to do a little horse trading with Calebib. He's got a 35 Whelen AI (its such a tiny gain its not worth talking about) barrel for a 98. Discussing trading an action for work, and this bbl would be part of that deal. Going short, 21" possibly.

I've got a lot of medium burn powder. What have you 35 fans had luck with? Thinking 225-250 gr bullets. 180-200 gr I've got the 300 Wby, 250+ the 375 wby. Fills a nice niche for a dark timber gun, with medium/ heavy pills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Re: 35 Whelen, who is loading it?

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

.30-06 cases necked up

Nice. Any loads with the Accubond? That's the white plastic tip, right?

How is the recoil with that 250? I'm liking that.
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

The Accubonds were a handload made for me by a friend before I was handloading. Don't know the data.

The recoil isn't bad at all. But, it ain't a light rifle.

Caleb has to dig out the barrel, but he thinks it was a heavier profile. Even chopped to 20-21 it'll still be porky, but should balance. My love of Ultralight ENDS decidedly, at 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post
    Caleb has to dig out the barrel, but he thinks it was a heavier profile. Even chopped to 20-21 it'll still be porky, but should balance. My love of Ultralight ENDS decidedly, at 30-06
    Wimp... my .35 Whelen in just a hair over 7.5 lbs. man up
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Wimp... my .35 Whelen in just a hair over 7.5 lbs. man up
    Ultralight is sub 7lbs ;)

Man you ain't just whistlin' "Yankee Doodle" dude. My 9.3 is pushing the recoil envelope. It will whack you good. I use my Past Recoil Shield when shooting it with 270 grain Speers. I load that bullet over 59 grains of IMR 4895. I think for anything on this continent a 250 grain bullet will kill it all. I don't think there is much difference in the two cartridges.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

The 9.3 has a little more powder room, and a little better expansion ratio, so its a wee bit faster for same weight bullets. I really want a 9.3, thought about a Lothar Walter 9,3 Mauser barrel....but, Caleb already has the barrel on hand, and offered a good deal. Plus the magazine is a tiny bit short, I don't want to have it hogged out to fit the 9,3 286 or 300's, hourly rate would cost more then the gun did lol. With the Ackley case, probably no difference at all with the 9,3, except for .008" diameter. Plus, the 375 Wby is better for 250+ anyways.

Won't have a good idea of weight potential until its bbl is screwed on and chopped down. The stock has been hogged out for weight already. I'll likely put a 1-4 or 2-7 on it, I imagine i can get this gun into the 7.5 range. I just have no desire of a LAW or McMillan stock to get it into the 6.5lbs range. 250's at 2500 fps with under 7lbs, nah.
    Last edited by MileHighShooter; 03-19-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Ultralight is sub 7lbs ;)
    I know. I want to see how you can build a sub 7 lb .35 Whelen. I can probably shave a few more ounces off mine but there are no pencil thin .35 cal barrels out there.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

I know. I want to see how you can build a sub 7 lb .35 Whelen. I can probably shave a few more ounces off mine but there are no pencil thin .35 cal barrels out there.
    From what he says, he is not trying to go ultralight with this rifle.

My .35 Whelen is built on a 1909 Argentine and loves 250 grain bullets...but it's been so long since I loaded anything for it, I don't know if I can find my load data. It would normally place the first 3 shots inside a 1" circle at 100 yards, but my barrel is a tad thin and warmed quickly and 5 shots were another half inch added. Other than a couple range sessions...I've never used it.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

A .30-06 case pushing a .33 or .35 caliber bullet just doesn't have enough powder capacity to develop a great deal of recoil. Either the .338-06 or the .35 Whelen makes for excellent performance at moderate velocities. The bigger cases pushing similar bullets become the cripple and kill guns- - - - "Kills what's out front, and cripples what's behind it!"
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

Just taking a stab with what's on Hodgdon's website, Varget looks like a winner, but for a shorter tube, I'd probably do the faster burn of H4895.

Seems to be working for Zed, at any rate.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Quote Originally Posted by Michakav View Post
    From what he says, he is not trying to go ultralight with this rifle.
    I understand that. He said he was not into Ultralights bigger than 30-06 and my comment meant that it'd be pretty darn difficult to build one in .35 Whelen anyway so it's a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    A .30-06 case pushing a .33 or .35 caliber bullet just doesn't have enough powder capacity to develop a great deal of recoil. Either the .338-06 or the .35 Whelen makes for excellent performance at moderate velocities. The bigger cases pushing similar bullets become the cripple and kill guns- - - - "Kills what's out front, and cripples what's behind it!"
    Jerry
    Yep what Jerry said. The .35 Whelen will let you know you shot a rifle (I won't do more than 20 rounds off a bench with mine but it's not a paper puncher anyway) and it will hit game darn hard, but without much drama and the detached retina effect of some on the other large bores.

Buying a skinny? It would be hard. Boring out an existing barrel would be the way to go. But barrel length could become an issue depending on how thin. Lothar Walter makes some dang narrow tubes, and for a good price. One of those, in a mauser, would run a bit more $$ then a rebore from JES in Oregon, take longer, too. The narrowest they'll rebore though, for safety, is .250 over the bore size. That puts you at .608" at the muzzle.

I think a sub 7lbs 35 is entirely possible, like many guns the question is "how deeps your wallet and how long can you wait?"

Rem 700 30-06 rebore to 35 Whelen
    McMillan EDGE/MPI/B&C Alaskan Ti (the 95% one not the finished) ADL
    Flute.... everything
    Talley alum ultralight rings
    Leupold FXII 2-7x33

I bet you kiss 7lbs or less. Gonna cost ya 1500 ish at least
    Last edited by MileHighShooter; 03-20-2017 at 04:25 AM.

A 225gr running at 2700 fps, in a 6.5lbs rifle, puts you at 35lbs of recoil, and 18 fps recoil velocity. That thete, is a heavy slap, no gentle nudge here. That is going to be the about same as a 9lbs 300 RUM or WBY with 200 gr bullets.

Why don't you masochists start out with the bore size you want and turn the barrel contour as thin as you dare? Pair that up with a tube steak receiver like a Remington 700 or one of the other glorified pieces of water pipe that seem to be all the rage these days, and use as much Aluminum, Titanium or even carbon fiber accessories as you can think of to hang on it? You'll get a one or two round wonder that will put a couple of holes in the same zip code before the barrel starts heating up, but that's OK- - - - -you probably won't be in the mood to shoot more than two or three rounds at a time, particularly from a bench rest.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

If you want to pay the extra money and very long lead time, yea, you could probably just get a .358 tube contoured like that. Not all of us have lathe in our man cave ;)

Or the skill.

Rebore runs about 275-300, JES usually has guns back in 2 weeks. Just one way of skinning the kitty

I have no desire to do that, Wambli just wanted to know IF it could be done

Buying a skinny? It would be hard. Boring out an existing barrel would be the way to go. But barrel length could become an issue depending on how thin. Lothar Walter makes some dang narrow tubes, and for a good price. One of those, in a mauser, would run a bit more $$ then a rebore from JES in Oregon, take longer, too. The narrowest they'll rebore though, for safety, is .250 over the bore size. That puts you at .608" at the muzzle.

I think a sub 7lbs 35 is entirely possible, like many guns the question is "how deeps your wallet and how long can you wait?"

Rem 700 30-06 rebore to 35 Whelen
    McMillan EDGE/MPI/B&C Alaskan Ti (the 95% one not the finished) ADL
    Flute.... everything
    Talley alum ultralight rings
    Leupold FXII 2-7x33

I bet you kiss 7lbs or less. Gonna cost ya 1500 ish at least
    My gun is just about what you describe. Remington 700 .35whelen Classic action/barrel, HS Precission sporter ADL stock, Talley aluminum rings and a VX 3 2.5-8. The only thing missing is the fluting but I won't flute a factory barrel (specially one that shoots as good as mine) but I am playing with the idea of fluting the bolt and shaving some metal off the side of the receiver.

I problaby could take off about 5 more ounces but any more than that would require major surgery which is really not worth it at the end. 7.5 is just about perfect. Anyway it's all academics because neither one of us wants a sub 7 lb .35 anyway

The HS is light, but still heavier then the stocks I listed, and the FXII is an 8oz scope. So figure 6-8oz right there. Put the action on the same diet Caleb put my 700 on, plus flute the bolt, maybe 1-2" off the barrel. It would be close. I think its doable, but you're dang close!!

You've got the prefect elk rifle right there, now just get out here and use it!

The 9.3 has a little more powder room, and a little better expansion ratio, so its a wee bit faster for same weight bullets. I really want a 9.3, thought about a Lothar Walter 9,3 Mauser barrel....but, Caleb already has the barrel on hand, and offered a good deal. Plus the magazine is a tiny bit short, I don't want to have it hogged out to fit the 9,3 286 or 300's, hourly rate would cost more then the gun did lol. With the Ackley case, probably no difference at all with the 9,3, except for .008" diameter. Plus, the 375 Wby is better for 250+ anyways.

Won't have a good idea of weight potential until its bbl is screwed on and chopped down. The stock has been hogged out for weight already. I'll likely put a 1-4 or 2-7 on it, I imagine i can get this gun into the 7.5 range. I just have no desire of a LAW or McMillan stock to get it into the 6.5lbs range. 250's at 2500 fps with under 7lbs, nah.
    Yes, in my Barnes book which lists the grains of water capacity of a case, the 9.3 holds about 5 more grains water than the Whelen. My barrel is a .24" Medium heavy sporter barrel with a 1:10 twist. It's a Shilen Match Chrome Moly barrel. My action is an old model(1988) Ruger 77. It's probably a couple pounds lighter than ideal. I probably have it overscoped for most people, but with my eyes I need the bit higher magnification of the 3-9X40 Leupold Vari X 2 (Same scope as the newer model VX-1).

This rifle is a seriously accurate killer of game. With the .270 grain Speer over 59 grains IMR 4895 it clocks over 2500 FPS. I wouldn't be afraid to go up against any bear on the American continent with it. The one deer I killed with it was a spike buck at about 40-50 yards. That deer went straight down with a shot just behind the front shoulder. The exit wound was about an inch and a half to two inches (Didn't measure). This deer was DOA on its arrival at ground level.

I've never shot, much less hunted with a .35 Whelen. But I believe there's not enough difference in it and the 9.3x62 to make a gnat's ass difference on game. I also feel the 250 grain bullet is more than adequate for either of these rifles for any game you would encounter on the American Continent to include Alaska and all but the big five dangerous game species on the African and Asian continents.

But personally, I don't think I'd want one under 8 pounds.
    Last edited by snake284; 03-20-2017 at 04:15 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

The HS is light, but still heavier then the stocks I listed, and the FXII is an 8oz scope. So figure 6-8oz right there. Put the action on the same diet Caleb put my 700 on, plus flute the bolt, maybe 1-2" off the barrel. It would be close. I think its doable, but you're dang close!!

You've got the prefect elk rifle right there, now just get out here and use it!
    One of these days. Next time I'm in Denver I need to extend my business trip and hang with you.

Let me know!

Let me know!
    Will certainly do!