Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 48 of 48

Thread: I shot a .270 Winchester today!!!!

  1. #31
    Senior Member Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,559

    Re: I shot a .270 Winchester today!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby View Post
    He knows his way around a rifle.
    What was his shooting background?
    I Know​ your a great spotter
    Farm Boy
    4 years military
    Rancher
    Hunter
    Shooting Enthusiast


    I've been shooting with him a couple two/three years now.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

  2. #32
    Senior Member Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,559

    Re: I shot a .270 Winchester today!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    Shot placement
    All three in the lungs behind the shoulder.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

  3. #33
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    18,757

    Re: I shot a .270 Winchester today!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    All three in the lungs behind the shoulder.
    Yeah, I don't doubt that one bit. I've seen deer run off and found them with the lungs totally destroyed. Also, in a couple cases the heart was shot out from a 180 grain .30-06 bullet. But they still ran a long way. In my opinion the only sure way to put an animal down is a head shot that hits the brain, a neck shot that hits the spinal cord or a spine shot. When the brain and/or spinal cord is hit the motor activity is gone and he loses his legs.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  4. #34
    Senior Member zorba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Merrritt Island, FL
    Posts
    12,087

    Re: I shot a .270 Winchester today!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post


    That's brilliant! You can double the range of the .270, but only if you fire it from East to West.
    That last target's windage was off because Zee failed to account for Coriolis deflection!

    More seriously, damn fine shootin'!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

  5. #35
    Senior Member tennmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Under a log
    Posts
    18,723

    Re: I shot a .270 Winchester today!!!!

    Shooting is good therapy. When you're out shooting you have to concentrate entirely on the shooting; doesn't leave any room for thinking of other things. And you're a good man for getting him to stretch what he thought was his max range to double that and then some! He looks pretty tickled at the results. I like his rifle as he has it set up. Handy length and nice stock, too.

    Most animals can absorb a lot of internal damage and run for a long way at times. Your elk was an example of that; they're dead, but just don't realize it. Just be glad you had a repeater, and not a .54 cal. Hawken flintlock! They take a mite longer to load for followup shots.
    Know the truth, for the truth will set you free.

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa Florida
    Posts
    1,558

    Re: I shot a .270 Winchester today!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    I've thought hard about this. I've got only one .270. I have multiple rifles in other calibers so if I'm gonna be the .270 poster boy I need more .270s and the Savage may get the nod. A nice fat barreled one that will shoot bug hole groups at 500 yards would be nice. However, I want one with a 1:8 twist so I can shoot the new VLD heavy long bullets.
    I have two, a 1500 Howa that has killed four white tails, and a couple of hogs, one over 300 pounds, and a #1 Ruger that, so far, has only killed paper. The 130 grain SP is a good choice. Keep yer powder dry...........robin
    Last edited by HAWKEN; 03-25-2017 at 08:37 PM.
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

  7. #37
    Senior Member Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,559

    Re: I shot a .270 Winchester today!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    Yeah, I don't doubt that one bit. I've seen deer run off and found them with the lungs totally destroyed. Also, in a couple cases the heart was shot out from a 180 grain .30-06 bullet. But they still ran a long way. In my opinion the only sure way to put an animal down is a head shot that hits the brain, a neck shot that hits the spinal cord or a spine shot. When the brain and/or spinal cord is hit the motor activity is gone and he loses his legs.
    Don't recall the distance. Maybe 150ish yards.

    Cow elk who was trotting along. To be fair, the first shot stopped her. She stood there and stared. Buddy said, "Shoot her again!"

    I did. She stood there.

    "Shoot her again!"

    I did. She stood there.

    "Shoot her again!"

    "No! I've hit her 3 times!"

    So we waited a little bit while she did the spread leg wobble and eventually fell over dead. All three shots were fatal. She just didn't believe it the first, second, or third time. And that's all it took. Time.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

  8. #38
    Senior Member Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,559

    Re: I shot a .270 Winchester today!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Shooting is good therapy. When you're out shooting you have to concentrate entirely on the shooting; doesn't leave any room for thinking of other things. And you're a good man for getting him to stretch what he thought was his max range to double that and then some! He looks pretty tickled at the results. I like his rifle as he has it set up. Handy length and nice stock, too.
    Yeah. We had a good time. It was nice to see him light up and smile again. We enjoy shooting together and it got him out of his current rut. Liked seeing him smile.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

  9. #39
    Senior Member Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,559

    Re: I shot a .270 Winchester today!!!!

    And he liked that I had brought the Ruger he'd given me with us. Didn't say it, but I could tell.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

  10. #40
    Senior Member JerryBobCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Podunk, Tx.
    Posts
    4,932

    Re: I shot a .270 Winchester today!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Don't recall the distance. Maybe 150ish yards.

    Cow elk who was trotting along. To be fair, the first shot stopped her. She stood there and stared. Buddy said, "Shoot her again!"

    I did. She stood there.

    "Shoot her again!"

    I did. She stood there.

    "Shoot her again!"

    "No! I've hit her 3 times!"

    So we waited a little bit while she did the spread leg wobble and eventually fell over dead. All three shots were fatal. She just didn't believe it the first, second, or third time. And that's all it took. Time.
    Reminds me of my first elk. It was the lead cow, and big. Based on the weight of the hindquarters, a friend estimated it to weigh about 600 pounds.

    She was trotting about 150 yards away when I shot. I knew the shot was good, and was very surprised when she didn't drop. She did stop, though, and allowed me 3 more shots. She fell after the 4th shot. All 4 were in the rib cage, and one blew a baseball size hole out of the far side of the ribs.

    That's my story of killing an elk with a .270 and I'm sticking to it.

    Zee, have you experienced a sudden fondness for Cheetos?
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

  11. #41
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    18,757

    Re: I shot a .270 Winchester today!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Yeah. We had a good time. It was nice to see him light up and smile again. We enjoy shooting together and it got him out of his current rut. Liked seeing him smile.
    The threat or thought of the possibility of losing your spouse is a heavy load to carry. Anything you can do to give him some relief is a God send. With cancer it can be a long time load on your mind. It ain't like he can go in and take a nap and his headache goes away. Keep him shooting. That could bring him through a rough time. This guy sounds like a real jewel of a friend. Keep it up.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  12. #42
    Senior Member Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,559

    Re: I shot a .270 Winchester today!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JerryBobCo View Post
    Zee, have you experienced a sudden fondness for Cheetos?
    No! Why?

    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

  13. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,345
    Did y'all follow up each shot with a similarly placed ..22 LR in order to scratch the paint on the targets?

  14. #44
    Senior Member Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,559

    Re: I shot a .270 Winchester today!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JKP View Post
    Did y'all follow up each shot with a similarly placed ..22 LR in order to scratch the paint on the targets?
    BB Guns
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

  15. #45
    Senior Member CHIRO1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    8,318

    Re: I shot a .270 Winchester today!!!!

    I need an address so I can mail you your Savage hat now.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

  16. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    489

    Re: I shot a .270 Winchester today!!!!

    I googled Bridget the midget, damn.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

  17. #47
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    18,757

    Re: I shot a .270 Winchester today!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Don't recall the distance. Maybe 150ish yards.

    Cow elk who was trotting along. To be fair, the first shot stopped her. She stood there and stared. Buddy said, "Shoot her again!"

    I did. She stood there.

    "Shoot her again!"

    I did. She stood there.

    "Shoot her again!"

    "No! I've hit her 3 times!"

    So we waited a little bit while she did the spread leg wobble and eventually fell over dead. All three shots were fatal. She just didn't believe it the first, second, or third time. And that's all it took. Time.
    Just for the hell of it, what bullet were you using on that cow elk?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  18. #48
    Senior Member Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,559

    Re: I shot a .270 Winchester today!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    Just for the hell of it, what bullet were you using on that cow elk?
    If I remember correctly, it was factory Winchester 150gr Power Point.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •