Thread: Took a trip to Tallahassee.

Took a trip to Tallahassee.

Deb and I took a trip to Tallahassee yesterday to visit with Rich and not only did we replenish our grits supply, we lucked into a couple packs of ramps! When we got home, we also found two jars of pickled ramps in the truck! Thank you very much Rich. And Maria was right, you can smell the pickled ramps outside of the jars. Both jars were sealed and you could still smell them. We ate a few when we got home and I can't wait to try them on a salad as they have a very unique flavor.
    One thing that I don't get about Rich, (Woodsrunner) is that being in his seventies and "retired", he works harder than most folks who are not even close to retirement. And that's after retiring from the Navy and the Forestry Service. I wish that I had half of his energy. Anyway, thanks for all the stuff and it was great seeing you and Maria.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Re: Took a trip to Tallahassee.

Pickled ramps? That sounds amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

I might try to make one jar last till the SE shoot to share them with everybody.

I have N.F.I. what pickled 'ramps' are.
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Make_My_Day View Post
    I have N.F.I. what pickled 'ramps' are.
    A ramp is what you use to load your motorcycle. That's all you need to know. Not that I'm trying to save the Ramps for myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Aren't ramps like a green onion?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jbp-ohio View Post

They are a wild onion with a very pungent, garlic like flavor and odor that are very tasty and a bit rare and difficult to obtain. They grow in a limited range and the places they are found is usually a closely guarded secret. Rich has people.

Glad you and Deb came by, and thanks a million for your help!

Ramps are a special type wild onion/garlic type plant that grows up around my home in the Southern Appalachian Mountains. The range is pretty well restricted to 3,200 feet elevation+ on the northeast side of the mountain. The odor is.....God, it's unbelieveable! People at home who had jury duty in the spring session would try to eat ramps on the morning they had to report for duty in an attempt to be released! The Judge usually would require these folks to report to the fall session TWICE as punishment! Usually interfered with fall hunting season, so it was a double-blow for some!

Quote Originally Posted by jbp-ohio View Post

Ramps belong to the leek family. They taste nothing like an onion, and both he greens and the bulb are edible, and extremely delicious! They also make onion and/or garlic breath smell like a flower bouquet. And that smell comes out of your sweat glands, too, so you are highly 'aromatic' for a couple of days after eating them.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

[QUOTE=Fisheadgib;642882
    One thing that I don't get about Rich, (Woodsrunner) is that being in his seventies and "retired", he works harder than most folks who are not even close to retirement. And that's after retiring from the Navy and the Forestry Service. I wish that I had half of his energy. Anyway, thanks for all the stuff and it was great seeing you and Maria.[/QUOTE]

One thing i have found is after one retires you must stay active, both mentally and physically, when i was working i had a few co-workers that retired, they had no interests, hobbies, etc. they just sat around and did nothing, all died within 5 years. I also think old farts like rich and I grew up with a different mentality, work ethic, and outlook on life.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    A ramp is what you use to load your motorcycle. That's all you need to know. Not that I'm trying to save the Ramps for myself.
    LOL....last time I used a ramp to put the bike in back of my pick-up, I damned near killed myself when the sections separated and the bike did a 180 with me on it.
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.

Wild onions grow all over the place in this area. They do smell like garlic; but, the green above ground looks different than what I found googling ramps.
    Go Cowboys go

Totally different genus, Ned. No relationship at all.

What JAY says is on target 100%. Growing up in the Rural South required even young kids to work to some degree. In my case I worked (lightly, not hard and strenuous) helping to garden from a young age. This was back during WWII (vivid memories) with a Father and Uncles off at War, and we grew much--most--of what we ate. At age 5 I was scrounging the near-by neighbor farms for scrap metal, tin cans, old tractor parts etc, for the war effort. Took old bacon grease down to the highway in tin cans once a month to be picked up and used somehow in the War Effort. (That was one of my jobs). My Grandad (who reared me from 14 months) directed and trained me as he had been directed and trained by his Grandfather in the 1880's. The point I'm trying to make is simply that in mine and JAYS generation, in the Rural South, kids were taught and expected to work to the best of their abilities. And it paid off all my lifetime and continues to do so! I'll slow up some as I age, and that's for sure. But I can still go at it (and frequently do) 40+ hours a week. I have plans to go into my early 90's working at least part-time, take a few drinks of good bonded "likker" one evening, go to sleep and just not wake up! I've got about 12-14 years left!