Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Everyone with high mileage vehicles.....

Re: Everyone with high mileage vehicles.....

i had my break fluid system flushed and replaced at 100k.

i did not have to do it, but i did anyway along with the other things.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt

I drained and flushed the system twice in 200,000 mi. both times when i did some major axle work.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

When I owned a 1990 Volvo 240 wagon I mistakenly added DOT 3 and not 4 (?) in it. An idiot light came on the dash which referenced contamination in the book. I used a turkey baster and sucked it out and refilled it with the correct brake fluid a few times over a few days and the light went out.

I think scheduled maintenance calls for that every so often on most makes.

Some rip-off Brake Jobby joint told me I needed a new Master Cylinder when I took it in and they saw the light!

I got 240,000 miles outta that Volvo and 220,000 outta a 2000 Saturn. The Saturn I gave to a niece is still running up down and around Sand Mtn.

I'm hoping for a lot of years and miles from my Subaru too. Mileage is stll low (21,000) after 3 three years because I'm R&R (Retired and Retarded) now and don't drive near as much.
    Last edited by Big Chief; 03-21-2017 at 02:57 PM.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

I try and keep my vehicles 10-15 years, at least and get my money's worth outta them, if possible.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

Quote Originally Posted by jbp-ohio View Post
    Wife's Audi maintenance schedule is calling for brake fluid replacement. Which made me think..... I have never heard of anyone actually replacing their brake fluid.

Do you?
    It's an AUDI, it has ABS. Your Wife is driving it.

You really have to ask ?

Brake fluid is 20,- tops and it takes 20 minutes to do.

Quote Originally Posted by HappySquid View Post
    It's an AUDI, it has ABS. Your Wife is driving it.

You really have to ask ?

Brake fluid is 20,- tops and it takes 20 minutes to do.
    Does he really have to ask what?
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

Will Rogers

Over here in Europe female drivers depend on their car-brakes a Lot ! (special driving skills)

AUDI has brake fluid changes in their maintenance schedule every 2 years here.

In short Her car needs proper working ABS-brakes, the fluid is cheap A Bosch controller not so.

Quote Originally Posted by HappySquid View Post
    Over here in Europe female drivers depend on their car-brakes a Lot ! (special driving skills)

AUDI has brake fluid changes in their maintenance schedule every 2 years here.

In short Her car needs proper working ABS-brakes, the fluid is cheap A Bosch controller not so.
    Actually, she's pretty good on the brakes. Put 88,000 on her 2005 Charger and never had the brakes replaced.

I bet she could have went 25,000 more

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Actually, she's pretty good on the brakes. Put 88,000 on her 2005 Charger and never had the brakes replaced.

As it should be.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

At least it's not a Rolls-Royce, with brake fluid that costs $40.00 a quart, and is only available at dealer parts departments. I learned that while attempting a restoration of a road-weary Silver Shadow owned by country songwriter Hank Cochran!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

Driving around in this tourist traffic down here, I'm sure that she'll be using the brakes a bit more.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Banned

I hate ABS. When I cram my foot down, I want my brakes to lock up. And please don't feed me a story of how ABS is safer because I once nearly went into a store wall because the damn brakes wouldn't lock. I threw it in park at the last minute and saved my car, the building AND it didn't hurt the trans.

She must be stopping Fred Flintstone style.

Here in SoCal, the land of stop and go traffic and a million stop lights, many can't get more than 25,000 miles out of a set of brake pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I hate ABS. When I cram my foot down, I want my brakes to lock up. And please don't feed me a story of how ABS is safer because I once nearly went into a store wall because the damn brakes wouldn't lock. I threw it in park at the last minute and saved my car, the building AND it didn't hurt the trans.
    ABS does not cure stupid.
    Jerry

That's one hell of a parking pawl you have in that vehicle.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Buford View Post
    That's one hell of a parking pawl you have in that vehicle.
    Was a dodge challenger going at very slow speed in a slick snow. The damn abs wouldn't stop it even at 5mph.

thank you Teach, you are bang on
    If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
    Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.

The ABS Master Cylinder failed on my wife's 1996 RAV4 about two months ago and they changed the fluid at that time. It had 106,347 miles on it at the time.

Back in 2012 I had my rear brakes lockup due to the rear brake hose not releasing the brake fluid and had to replace both rear hoses, wheel cylinders and master cylinder. The LR brake linings burned up the brake drum and I had to have a new brake brake drum installed in my 8-Lug Aluminum wheel, on my 1963 Pontiac Grand Prix. At the time it had around 91,000 miles on it and I assume it may have been the O.E. brake parts on the car. The 8-Lug Aluminum wheels installed on Pontiac's from 1960-1966 were the best looking and braking from the Factory of any wheels back then IMO.

Locking brakes on slick snow or ice means more sliding, not stopping. Your brakes did what they were designed to do. As pointed out by KMT2, ABS doesn't fix mistakes by the driver and it can't tell you to slow down to "X" speed in order to navigate the parking lot you're turning into.
    Tim Mason

My Dad let me borrow his Camaro many years ago. The only car he ever rebuilt the motor for. I was on my way home from work when the interchange ramp was a sheet of ice. The lady in front of my spun out. I was a youngster in my twenties with reflexes like a cat. No abs ever made could have pumped them brakes faster and gentler than I did.

Not so sure if I could repeat that today.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Anyone with a few functioning brain cells knows to put the transmission in neutral BEFORE using the brakes when on ice, then do a lot more more steering than braking. Sliding wheels can neither stop nor steer.
    Jerry

I pulled off into a Rastplatz (rest area) in Germany on the Autobahn in the mountains when I saw traffic backed up and there was a patch of Black Ice and could see and hear one 'Beemer' and 'Cedes' after the next crash into the already big pileup.................strange crunchy sounds, no brake sounds.

That was the road to Stuttgart on a mountainous area GIs called the "Gator" because a sign for prehistoric archeological digs and a museum had a pic of a fossil that looked like a gator.

You knew you were in fer a hairy ride when signs posted by the road read: Warnung/Achtung/Danger/Gefahr/Percilo.

They widened the road and leveled it some over the years and made it a little better, but still quite the ride, even in good weather.
    Last edited by Big Chief; 03-27-2017 at 03:13 PM.

I think it would take about 50 years to get enough water in your brake lines to hurt anything. What have you got where air and fluid meet? About 5 square inches of air over the top of the fluid in the master cylinder chamber? You need that interface with air to condense water out of the atmosphere. I think this caveat was started by some anal retentive college boy engineer worrying over nothing and trying to sound intelligent.
    Last edited by snake284; 03-27-2017 at 10:46 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Hey Sam ain't dead, his ghost is still among us. That's Gone not went, LOL!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    Hey Sam ain't dead, his ghost is still among us. That's Gone not went, LOL!!!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson