Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's your ideal bear cartridge?

Re: What's your ideal bear cartridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post

Care to know who the shooter was?
    In team matches you normally pair fire, one then the other
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Varmintmist View Post
    It's only fair!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Banned

Zee has posted several videos of him and his partner firing their loads simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by tubabucknut View Post
    Zee has posted several videos of him and his partner firing their loads simultaneously.
    http://s26.photobucket.com/user/lovi...wxofp.mp4.html
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by tubabucknut View Post
    If they do, watch out for the Texas heart shot. This would be one instance where I do not want to know the weapon used, and certainly want no pictures.
    You're just jealous Tuba!!!.....
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Seriously, the only time I ever made a Texas Heart Shot was on a hog at a little over 100 yards using my 06 with a 200 grain SGK. Hit her right under the tail and it stopped right under the skin in the brisket.

My dad killed his first deer using that technique, but that's when he was new to deer hunting and wanted that deer real bad. All he had ever hunted was ducks, squirrel, and rabbit. The bullet, a 150 grain( I think) .30-06, stopped in the chest or brisket of the deer as it did with my hog.

Anyway, both these shots made a mess. Guts all churned up. Lots of cold water and rubbing the cavity got the smell down to a dull roar. What can I say? We ate em both...
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

If I was hunting bear in your neck of the woods, MHS, I'd bring an elk rifle, more or less.
    For me, that's a rifle I'm comfortable shooting 300 yards, and has enough muscle to get to the vitals from any angle. Using a premium bullet.
    A 7 Rem mag, or better.
    We know what works, in my safe!
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by jbohio View Post
    If I was hunting bear in your neck of the woods, MHS, I'd bring an elk rifle, more or less.
    For me, that's a rifle I'm comfortable shooting 300 yards, and has enough muscle to get to the vitals from any angle. Using a premium bullet.
    A 7 Rem mag, or better.
    We know what works, in my safe!
    That gun does indeed work! Hopefully I'll have something blued and wood stocked, bear seasons very nice in Colorado. I'll have something plastic for back up though
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

They can smell real good. I watched one wind my trail once.

Funny thing, I found out a tag is the best repellant made.

Good luck
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

No wild animal in the eastern USA can smell as good as a black bear. Some years back when I was still roaming the Mountains up home bear hunting, I would mix up a scent drag using old spoiled canned salmon, a little rancid bacon drippings and a few drops of anise oil and pull this through the woods. Worked most times.

I'll be hunting from my uncles place, tiny "town" pretty good ways back from the highway. Lots of bears (and lions) hanging around. His neighbor had one raiding his chicken coop, and a few different ones showing up on his game cameras not far from the house. Another neighbor gets one every year, he can point me in the right direction, hopefully

I would bet Bear Sausage would be excellent. You probably don't need near as much fat added. Jus smoke hell out of it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    Oh... and black bear is good eats! Think beef, but with a coarser grain, a tad sweeter and more earthy.
    I believe it about being good table fare. Look at what a bear eats? Berries, Honey, and most other vegetation. They are like squirrels, they almost have to have a great flavor.

I can't actually argue with you in good faith because you have actually harvested bear. But I would say with something like a 9.3x62 will penetrate about any bear skull with the proper bullet. And I believe it will cause enough damage to put him down in his tracks. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by snake284; 04-02-2017 at 09:52 PM.

On the show "Meat Eater", host Steve Rinella cautioned against eating undercooked bear. He says he did it. Once. Apparently, trichinosis is not a fun thing to have.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

I ate Jerms bear butt last year. Pretty tasty.
    People who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    I ate Jerms bear butt last year. Pretty tasty.
    Absolutely.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

With what I have on hand it would be my Winchester 458 with a 510gr bullet.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford View Post
    I have 5 rounds of 500 gr. handloads that I made up shortly after I bought that lefty rifle off of you. After shooting the 350 grainers, I still don't have the stones to pull the trigger on the heavier ones.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    I believe it about being good table fare. Look at what a bear eats? Berries, Honey, and most other vegetation. Roadkill, diapers, offal, garbage. They are like squirrels, they almost have to have a great flavor.

I can't actually argue with you in good faith because you have actually harvested bear. But I would say with something like a 9.3x62 will penetrate about any bear skull with the proper bullet. And I believe it will cause enough damage to put him down in his tracks. Just my opinion.
    FIFY
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

I agree, with anything that is capable of eating me there's no such thing as over gunning. The bigger the better.

FIFY
    OK you got me there. I remember in Malaysia, the cows ate out of dumpsters. Anybody for some good ol' Dumpster Beef?

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    I have 5 rounds of 500 gr. handloads that I made up shortly after I bought that lefty rifle off of you. After shooting the 350 grainers, I still don't have the stones to pull the trigger on the heavier ones.
    Some words of wisdom from a dumb ass. Do not shoot those from the bench. When I bought those 458s my friends thought I was crazy. Off to the range. I load 3 cartridges hunker down on the bench and fired, holy crap I went backwards the rifle came up and the range guy came over to see if I was alright. Well right then and there with tears welling up in my eyes I knew how stupid this idea was. The problem was my friends were watching and I knew I couldn't quit. Two to go I wasn't even aiming on the 3rd shot did manage to keep the tears from running down my cheeks. I turned around and asked if anyone wanted a try and I got a resounding no. When I got home my shoulder was black and blue. I load up 350gr rounds not to bad when standing then I tried the bench again nope, that rifle is not meant for the bench. I have considered one of those pads that go on your shoulder might help maybe not.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.

Some words of wisdom from a dumb ass. Do not shoot those from the bench. When I bought those 458s my friends thought I was crazy. Off to the range. I load 3 cartridges hunker down on the bench and fired, holy crap I went backwards the rifle came up and the range guy came over to see if I was alright. Well right then and there with tears welling up in my eyes I knew how stupid this idea was. The problem was my friends were watching and I knew I couldn't quit. Two to go I wasn't even aiming on the 3rd shot did manage to keep the tears from running down my cheeks. I turned around and asked if anyone wanted a try and I got a resounding no. When I got home my shoulder was black and blue. I load up 350gr rounds not to bad when standing then I tried the bench again nope, that rifle is not meant for the bench. I have considered one of those pads that go on your shoulder might help maybe not.
    God bless, you about nailed my experience with the 350 grainers. Shot them off the bench and it was like a baseball bat to the shoulder. I did end up using a PAST recoil pad because I scoped the thing initially and had to get it zeroed. That scope has since come off (moved to my .375 H&H) and I really do need to get that boomer back out for an iron sight zero session. Maybe, just maybe, I'll try a 500 grain bullet...standing.

You're what, in the 65-75 ft-lbs of recoil area? That is.....a big fat bag of NOPE!!

Most brutal gun I've ever fired is my lightweight/short Mauser in .458 Win mag with 500gr handloads from a bench.

First shot, I thought I'd disloacated my shoulder. By the third, I couldn't raise my arm and thought I'd broke/torn something permanently.

Never again will I fire 500gr loads in that thing from a bench without a PAST Recoil shield. With 2 of them on my shoulder, I can handle 9 rounds standing with the 500s before it's time for a break.

300s are no problem.

500s from a bench.................It's like laying on you back on the ground and having someone who doesn't like you smash your shoulder with a sledge hammer.

The doe I killed with it was from a standing position using the PAST and 500gr loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Most brutal gun I've ever fired is my lightweight/short Mauser in .458 Win mag with 500gr handloads from a bench.

First shot, I thought I'd disloacated my shoulder. By the third, I couldn't raise my arm and thought I'd broke/torn something permanently.

Never again will I fire 500gr loads in that thing from a bench without a PAST Recoil shield. With 2 of them on my shoulder, I can handle 9 rounds standing with the 500s before it's time for a break.

300s are no problem.

500s from a bench.................It's like laying on you back on the ground and having someone who doesn't like you smash your shoulder with a sledge hammer.

The doe I killed with it was from a standing position using the PAST and 500gr loads.
    Now Zee, don't be tellin' that around. keep it between us! like you promised.....

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    Now Zee, don't be tellin' that around. keep it between us! like you promised.....
    You'd never get that close.

Banned

I'll make sure to sacrifice a Shiner Bock in your honor when, trying to have a positive outlook, I eventually get one.

I'll also wear brown pants & undies, and bring an extra change of clothes, when I go hunting the black bear on my friend's property. Skilled hunter I ain't. Learning from Science I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Going out on a limb, I'm going to say you'll survive. Might even kill a Black Bear in the process. Before he kills you and all of mankind.
    G&A Forum Member since: October 2000; Life Member: GOA, IWLA, NRA, & Escapees.

I know a few guys who have killed 350 lb. and larger black bears with .30-30s and .35 Remingtons. They were over bait or treed by hounds, so the range was close, but on the other hand... the bears were close in. Point is... They've taken decent-sized bears with what some might term "marginal" gear, and done it close enough where the bear didn't have far to charge. Take it as you will.
    Overkill is underrated.