Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What's your ideal bear cartridge?

Re: What's your ideal bear cartridge?

Either Jerry or maybe Alec have photos....I'm too "electronically challenged" to figure out how to make and post photos, and as simple as it sounds, I just can't remember how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    How tall of a step ladder did you use to get high enough to see over the truck?
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...5edf8aaa17.jpg

Compact model
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

How tall of a step ladder did you use to get high enough to see over the truck?
    I was standing on top of the tire.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by woodsrunner View Post
    Either Jerry or maybe Alec have photos....I'm too "electronically challenged" to figure out how to make and post photos, and as simple as it sounds, I just can't remember how to do it.
    Found a couple Rich...........Took me a while to find them.

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

I used some foam and purple duct tape on it when we were sighting it in. Seriously. A fine custom rifle, and I duct taped it. There's pics somewhere...
    Yep...............A fine example of a gunsmiths custom rifle and you had to go full retard redneck on it............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Oh that is lovely
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
    Yep...............A fine example of a gunsmiths custom rifle and you had to go full retard redneck on it............
    Feed him his Wheaties, give him his books and send him to school, and what does he do but eat the covers off of em!!!

Whatcha gonna do with that?
    Last edited by snake284; 04-10-2017 at 11:46 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Saw a problem, found a soloution.
    People who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Needs a pad between the rifle and his shoulder. Won't help the cheek smack if there is one, but sure would help at the bench.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Ok so we are clear, I'm now officially in love with that rifle!!! Is it coming back to Jerry's this year?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Yes, I'll bring it back up with the ammo that Teach et al loaded for it, and you're welcome to play around with it as much as you want! It's a GI Bring Back by a GI named "Merchant" from Boston, Mass., but I don't have papers to prove it. It came to me from my close friend David Dodds (Jerry knew him) who died from complications of Agent Orange several years ago. Dave got it from Merchant's son, whom Dave was good friends with.

I also have another GI Bring Back, a little 16ga double hammergun made by J.P.Sauer und Sohn, and David fell totally in love with this little piece. I gave it to Dave to keep and use for almost 3 years...he loved it so much! He and I agreed that the two pieces belonged together, and we had an agreement that whoever died first would will what we had with these two pieces to the other to keep them together. Sadly, Agent Orange killed David in less than 3 months from on-set of the first AO caused cancer symptoms. I helped Dave inventory and put a price what he had in his flintlock armory, and he gave me the Mannlicher Mauser along with a couple other pieces about a week before he died.

I'll bring the little Sauer SXS up also. Jerry has some photos of this one too. I could find out absolutely nothing about the Sauer SXS based on the serial number, so I contacted a German Naval Officer that I had done a special project with back about 1988, and turned it over to him to help me get info. He lives less than 40 miles from the Sauer facilities in Eichenfjord, Germany, so he took the photos that I had sent to him over to the Company who called their old retired historian (he was in his 90's at the time) who looked over the photos. Here is what he conveyed to me, and I have this in my files:

The SXS is one of 25 made by Sauer in 1893-95. It was patented in 1886, and is one of the first Sauers to have the special Kruppstahl barrel material that ended up being the "Nickel Steel" used by Winchester (also Springfield '03s). These 25 were retained by Sauer to be given away as gifts for political/business favors, and 18 had been given away by January 1945 when the Sauer Factory was overrun by elements of Patton's Third Army Corps of Engineers. (The Historian talks like he was there at the time, but I don't know for sure). Anyhow, the COE Colonel in command had all military weapons seized, but threw the civilian side of the Armory open and told the GI's to take a souvenier if they wanted one. According to the Historian there were 7 (he thought) of the special SXS's in the civilian side, and this is where my little piece came from! It was brought home by a local GI, but I have no idea who he was. (Sauer's records back to about 1757 were all burned to prevent falling into Soviet hands, and that's why my serial number search was fruitless).

Now we all know that Hermann Goering had a couple thousand arms in his personal collection, and that this collection fell under control of U.S. Army Troops at Wars' End. Today there are 3-4 million GI Bring Backs floating around the USA that came "directly from Goering's personal armory" ! I don't have one, but I've got something even better! The dainty, "girlish" little 16ga SXS I have was EDDA GOERING'S personal little piece, given to her by Sauer! Edda and I are only 20 days apart in age, but we've not had contact in some years now. Edda moved down to South Africa about the time I retired out of active work with the Navy Give me 2-3 drinks of good Jack Daniel's, and I can tell you all about this!

Then I'll have to bring some Jack D to the shoot!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

I late to this... but a lot of folks in Alaska went with .338 win mag. A good number went with 30/06 or .308.

I know of no one that went with anything less than those. I am sure someone may have, but no one I ever heard off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Eda Goering was born in 1938, and was seven when WW 2 ended. How old was she when Sauer gave her the gun? She was mighty young to be shooting a shotgun!
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    Eda Goering was born in 1938, and was seven when WW 2 ended. How old was she when Sauer gave her the gun? She was mighty young to be shooting a shotgun!
    It might have been given to her father as a present for her birth, not at all unusual, how many of us have got something for our kids before they were old enough to use them ?

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Now look, Fellas! Can't you tell I was just concockting up a BIG LIE? -----give me 2-3 drinks of Jack Daniels etc----

The little SXS is what I said it was, and everything I said about it is the truth, but as far as being given to Edda, that's just BS! She is just 20 days older than I, and she did go to South Africa as a lot of families of former top-ranking Nazis did, but naturally I never knew her! Did go to forestry school with the son of the concentration camps administrative officer who was sentenced at Nuremburg, and that was right there at your back door in Athen, Gene! (And Wambli....that's ATHENS, Ga., not Tennessee or Alabama!)
    Last edited by woodsrunner; 04-14-2017 at 01:29 AM.

my 35 Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by surehuntsalot View Post
    my 35 Whelen
    That would work.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    That would work.
    Oh and how it would work. Great choice!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Then I'll have to bring some Jack D to the shoot!
    Yeah, IF you would have made it to the shoot!

Hey, I'm only joking. You had good reason not to be there. I was sad that I didn't get to meet you OR Rich, but there'll be other SE shoots and I plan on being at them. However, I WILL have a driving partner next time. No more 14 hour solo flights for me.
    Last edited by snake284; 05-30-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post
    Black, not Brown. Putting in for my first bear hunt this year, not sure what I should plan on using. I know they're not entirely tough animals, but not tiny either. I'm guessing an average weight will be in the 300 range. Can't bait here, so no sitting archery distance away from a bait bucket waiting for a perfect shot. Don't really forsee much over 300 yards either.

So, 300 lbs-ish, 100-300 yards, spot and stalk or lucky ambush. Many options from 260 to 375
    In New Jersey, bear hunting is by permit only, and the permit is issued via a lottery system. Hunting bear is by bow or shotgun also. I would be a little scared to attempt a bear hunt with a bow, but would be ok with 12ga loaded with 3" slugs. I do know many people who hunt black bear effectively with a 30-30. I assume that I would be comfortable with a .308 in this situation being a 300 pond bear isn't really big.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsrunner View Post
    Iffin you don't do it at least a couple times a week it's freaking easy to forget how.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGgal View Post
    In New Jersey, bear hunting is by permit only, and the permit is issued via a lottery system. Hunting bear is by bow or shotgun also. I would be a little scared to attempt a bear hunt with a bow, but would be ok with 12ga loaded with 3" slugs. I do know many people who hunt black bear effectively with a 30-30. I assume that I would be comfortable with a .308 in this situation being a 300 pond bear isn't really big.
    I've heard they claim the weakest bear is 7 times stronger than the strongest man. I have no clue who came up with that estimate, but I get from that a bear is substantially stronger than a man. If I'm after bear it's a .30-06 or bigger for me. I like my 9.3x62 with bullets of at least 250 grain minimum. I've killed one animal with that rifle, a 100 pound Spike Buck White Tail. He crumpled. The exit wound was silver dollar size.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    I've heard they claim the weakest bear is 7 times stronger than the strongest man. I have no clue who came up with that estimate, but I get from that a bear is substantially stronger than a man. If I'm after bear it's a .30-06 or bigger for me. I like my 9.3x62 with bullets of at least 250 grain minimum. I've killed one animal with that rifle, a 100 pound Spike Buck White Tail. He crumpled. The exit wound was silver dollar size.
    She is correct.

Like I posted on page 1, 11 out of the largest 20 black bears taken have been taken in PA and there are a lot of guys head out with 243's. The 32 Spl was designed to be a upgrade for the 30-30 as a bear cartridge. Pound for pound the avg kitten will kick Chuck Norris's butt. Doesnt mean stuff wont fall over if you put holes in the plumbing and HVAC.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Varmintmist View Post
    She is correct.

Like I posted on page 1, 11 out of the largest 20 black bears taken have been taken in PA and there are a lot of guys head out with 243's. The 32 Spl was designed to be a upgrade for the 30-30 as a bear cartridge. Pound for pound the avg kitten will kick Chuck Norris's butt. Doesnt mean stuff wont fall over if you put holes in the plumbing and HVAC.
    That's great, have fun. If you see me out after bear you won't have to ask the cartridge my rifle is chambered in. It's going to be 9.3x62 or larger. Remember, Crap Happens.