Thread: Two Nebraska Hybrid Turkeys in Two Days

Two Nebraska Hybrid Turkeys in Two Days

In preparation for my move to Nebraska this Summer, the wife and I came out to house hunt. We scored a nice place fast, which left me a little bit of time to hunt before our home inspection.

With a little help from some local friends to help me freshen up on where the birds should be, I managed to score two birds in as many days on public land.

The first bird was a Jake taken as part of a double with my friend Anmal. He came over from Iraq to join his stateside family here after the second Gulf War kicked off and the post-Saddam terrorism came his way. Despite what you hear about refugees, he's a great guy who has learned English and works hard for a living.

The second bird was a nice Tom: 10.5" beard and 1.25" spurs. Scored him skirting the public land boundary fence just on the legal side. Lucky!

All in all, it made for a spectacular couple of days. Can't wait for the PA and OH openers to hopefully get a couple more before I leave!
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 04-23-2017 at 03:39 AM.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Re: Two Nebraska Hybrid Turkeys in Two Days

WOW

Rock star!!!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Congrats six! 2 beautiful birds.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Big turkeys.

The secret to good turkey soup is parsnips.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Tell me a little bit more about what a "hybrid turkey" is. Are these birds crossed with domestic birds? The tips of the tail feathers look a little lighter, more white, than our Eastern or Osceola birds.

Quote Originally Posted by early View Post
    Big turkeys.

The secret to good turkey soup is parsnips.
    Gonna have to try adding some!

woodsrunner -

A little history on Nebraska turkeys and the hybrids that live in the state now:

The wild turkey (Meleagris gallopavo) was extirpated from Nebraska by 1915, but thanks to successful reintroduction efforts beginning in the Pine Ridge in the 1950s, turkeys can be found across the state today. Reintroductions included three subspecies (Merriam’s, Rio Grande and Eastern wild turkeys), as well as a hybrid between Merriam’s and a game-farm variety that was found to do well where earlier releases failed. The hybrid birds proliferated and intermingled with the pure strains as populations grew. Turkeys in the panhandle and Niobrara River valley are most consistent in showing plumage characteristics of the Merriam’s subspecies.
    http://outdoornebraska.gov/wildturkey/

That is an awesome bird! Very pretty.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Nice birds!!! I seriously envy your ability to successfully hunt pretty much wherever you happen to be. A true sportsman

Sako

Quote Originally Posted by sakodude View Post
    Nice birds!!! I seriously envy your ability to successfully hunt pretty much wherever you happen to be. A true sportsman

Sako
    Ditto, you seem to be able to get on the game and get the sights lined up, nicely done. Is that your hunting partners first turkey?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Thanks again, fellas!

Taking these birds was very much a combination of luck and big time help from my friends with roots in this area. They have scouted and hunted here since I left 8 years ago. If not for Anmal (who helped me find that Jake) and my friend, Bashermal (an Afghani immigrant and the guy who helped me find that big Tom), the odds of this happening are extremely slim. Those guys keep tabs on the birds and saved me from wasting time trying to figure them out again on such short time. I owe them both for their generosity.

Oh, and what's the consensus? Is it a little too redneck to cut your bird up in the Cabela's parking lot or is that considered par for the course?

Last edited by Six-Gun; 04-21-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Oh that's a whole lot redneck

Congrats on two fine birds and two fine friends buddy!!!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Hehe, thanks, man. I figured this might peg the redneck meter a bit. Those guys (and another guy who I have hunted with for years out there who also gave me advice on where to focus) were invaluable on this quick hunt. While the primary goal of this trip was finding a house, they certainly helped me make the most of the down time between filing bank/real estate paperwork and waiting for the home inspection results to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    Ditto, you seem to be able to get on the game and get the sights lined up, nicely done. Is that your hunting partners first turkey?
    No, actually, the guy in the picture (Anmal) has killed a few birds since he came over. He's definitely getting the hang of living in the lower 48 states, and Nebraska in particular.
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 04-21-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Incredible!

It is hopefully a good sign of things to come!

By the way, I love Nebraska's mobile permitting system for turkeys. You don't even have to have a paper tag anymore. You just buy the permit on your phone and it is stored on the NGPC website. You can legally snap and produce a screenshot of the tag from your phone as a backup in case of connection loss if you are stopped by a game warden.

When you kill a bird, you just go back online from your cell, click on "cancel permit", fill in the sex and weapon info and submit it. Your tag is now cancelled and you're legal to possess the bird. It's easier than ever before and no more worries about a tag falling off of the carcass.
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 04-21-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsrunner View Post
    Tell me a little bit more about what a "hybrid turkey" is. Are these birds crossed with domestic birds? The tips of the tail feathers look a little lighter, more white, than our Eastern or Osceola birds.
    Nicely done Luis!

The hybrids we had in our part of Kansas were Eastern/Rio Grande crosses...a result of them planting Easterns in the Easten part of KS and Rios in the Western part...they sorta met in the middle and propagated ....had that same "creamy" band in the fan, lighter than an Eastern and darker than a Rio....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    Hehe, thanks, man. I figured this might peg the redneck meter a bit..
    Not QUITE pegged

If you wanted to "sho nuff" peg it, you needed to be doing it on the hood of the wife's car, in the parking lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa Florida

Nicely done Luis, congratulations! You are amazing. I saw birds like those in North Dakota, and almost had a heart attack when one came out of the tumbleweeds right between my legs..........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    Nicely done Luis!

The hybrids we had in our part of Kansas were Eastern/Rio Grande crosses...a result of them planting Easterns in the Easten part of KS and Rios in the Western part...they sorta met in the middle and propagated ....had that same "creamy" band in the fan, lighter than an Eastern and darker than a Rio....
    You know, I never realized that Kansas had Rio Grandes on the west half of the state. I need to check that one off for my grand slam, so we may have to meet up for a hunt out that way when you get back in town.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    Not QUITE pegged

If you wanted to "sho nuff" peg it, you needed to be doing it on the hood of the wife's car, in the parking lot
    Guess I gotta step up my game just a hair

Quote Originally Posted by HAWKEN View Post
    Nicely done Luis, congratulations! You are amazing. I saw birds like those in North Dakota, and almost had a heart attack when one came out of the tumbleweeds right between my legs..........robin
    Haha - that had to be a sight to see!

Thanks for the input, Luis!

I've seen turkeys out in South Dakota around the Black Hills in flocks of possibly a hundred individual birds. Have no idea which variety these birds were, but didn't seem as skittish as our Eastern variety. Damn Osceolas....I don't know if these birds aren't crossed with ducks! I managed timber and wildlife on a large land holding down in the Kenanville-Holopaw area for a number of years, and have quietly watched Osceolas wade water up to the neck feeding off small frogs and lizards in swampy areas. Weird birds!

That is an excellent hunt Louis. When I grow up I want to be like you.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

Thanks Farm Boy - one of these days you need to come out there. Tons of game of all kinds.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrunner View Post
    Thanks for the input, Luis!

I've seen turkeys out in South Dakota around the Black Hills in flocks of possibly a hundred individual birds. Have no idea which variety these birds were, but didn't seem as skittish as our Eastern variety. Damn Osceolas....I don't know if these birds aren't crossed with ducks! I managed timber and wildlife on a large land holding down in the Kenanville-Holopaw area for a number of years, and have quietly watched Osceolas wade water up to the neck feeding off small frogs and lizards in swampy areas. Weird birds!
    You need to see western Nebraska, Rich. We've seen flocks on some of those fields that were assuredly several hundred birds thick. Same with the Merriam's flocks in southern Colorado during the breeding season. The numbers are nearly uncountable. Here's some footage of a Merriam's flock from Las Animas county, CO:

The Osceola is the final piece of the grand slam that I'm planning, but I'll likely use an outfitter. Public land in FL will take me several years to draw and I have no way to scout down there. I'd rather not risk it. It would be so cool to see those birds eating frogs. We see the hybrids in Nebraska simply gorge themselves on earthworms after a rain storm, but never frogs.
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 04-21-2017 at 09:48 PM.

I'm late to this party, but congrats! Those are some awesome birds!
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.

Two birds in as many days is OUTFREAKENSTANDING! Congratulations
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Thanks, guys! Part of me was actually feeling like if I had another day to hunt, I should've bought a 3rd tag. The turkey hunting there is as good as ever.