Thread: 56th year straight.

56th year straight.

Eight days to go till the opening of our duck season. This will be number 56.

Still have the same feeling of excitement and anticipation building up that I have had every year since first being taken duck hunting with my dad.

The equipment and rules have been changed over the years, hunting companions have come and gone, the body has changed somewhat........... But the passion is still raging and coursing in my blood.

Bring it on!!!

( Now where did I put the Advil and the Metamucil)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Re: 56th year straight.

Hope you have a great season....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Did you have plastic hull shells 56 years ago?
    No fiberglass boats?
    Wood stocked guns?
    Steel canned beer?
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Congrats on another season opener!

So, that makes you what...57?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by early View Post
    Did you have plastic hull shells 56 years ago?
    No. It was all paper hulls with rolled edges over a paper wad.
    No fiberglass boats?
    There were a few fibreglass boats which suffered from osmosis.........and if you were not careful you could put your foot through the hull
    Wood stocked guns?
    Yep. Standard shotgun was a wood stocked SXS with modified and full choke barrels........saw the odd A5 with a polychoke but the oldtimers complained about how ugly those newfangled guns were........
    Steel canned beer?
    Yep, and only a very few really strong guys could crush them in their hands cos the steel outweighed the contents.
    Decoys were made of cork on a wooden base with handcarved wooden heads.
    Camo clothing was non existant.......you wore what you wore to work and it had real wool, not some fancy plastic recycled crap.
    If you owned an outboard motor it had seagull written on the side, produced 2 1/2 hp and took you 3 hrs to start it. If you were really rich you had a 4 1/2 hp seagull.
    If you were lucky, you had a SWB landrover or one of your hunting mates had one.
    Everyone owned a pair of rubber thigh waders which had the unnoficial nickname of 'widow makers'.......cos if you fell overboard they were quicker than cement blocks for sinking you to the bottom.

Everyone was polite and followed an unwritten code which combined ethics, politeness and good manners. Any problems were solved around the back of the shed with a bout of fisticuffs.....then the 2 of you would shake hands and have a beer together and remain lifelong friends. Coming out of the closet only applied to shotguns and ammo the night before opening day. Transexual was how dyslexic people referred to gearboxes and drivetrains. Gay was the local farmers daughter who's virginity was defended by her father and brothers at the point of a shotgun. You could walk down the main street of any town carrying a shotgun and wearing a belt of ammo and people would wish you good luck instead of running for a phone screaming like girls .......and you never ended up face down in gravel with a bunch of guys wearing black balaclavas pointing rifles at you and screaming "Armed Police, drop your weapon NOW! "

The old guys would sit around after the days hunt with quart bottles of beer while plucking ducks and, if you were lucky, they would loosen up and tell you stories about what it was like to serve in WWII. ( Not about the fighting, but about the guys they served with and the hijinks they got up to).

I could go on but its hard to see the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
    Decoys were made of cork on a wooden base with handcarved wooden heads.
    Camo clothing was non existant.......you wore what you wore to work and it had real wool, not some fancy plastic recycled crap.
    If you owned an outboard motor it had seagull written on the side, produced 2 1/2 hp and took you 3 hrs to start it. If you were really rich you had a 4 1/2 hp seagull.
    If you were lucky, you had a SWB landrover or one of your hunting mates had one.
    Everyone owned a pair of rubber thigh waders which had the unnoficial nickname of 'widow makers'.......cos if you fell overboard they were quicker than cement blocks for sinking you to the bottom.

Everyone was polite and followed an unwritten code which combined ethics, politeness and good manners. Any problems were solved around the back of the shed with a bout of fisticuffs.....then the 2 of you would shake hands and have a beer together and remain lifelong friends. Coming out of the closet only applied to shotguns and ammo the night before opening day. Transexual was how dyslexic people referred to gearboxes and drivetrains. Gay was the local farmers daughter who's virginity was defended by her father and brothers at the point of a shotgun. You could walk down the main street of any town carrying a shotgun and wearing a belt of ammo and people would wish you good luck instead of running for a phone screaming like girls .......and you never ended up face down in gravel with a bunch of guys wearing black balaclavas pointing rifles at you and screaming "Armed Police, drop your weapon NOW! "

The old guys would sit around after the days hunt with quart bottles of beer while plucking ducks and, if you were lucky, they would loosen up and tell you stories about what it was like to serve in WWII. ( Not about the fighting, but about the guys they served with and the hijinks they got up to).

I could go on but its hard to see the keyboard.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Alec, it's good that you still have the burning desire to hunt after all these years! I used to feel that way, too! But, now that I'm in my very late 70's, I wouldn't drag another deer--or squirrel--out of the woods period! Some of my earliest memories are waiting for my dad to get home from the Army Air Corps in late 1945 to take me hunting!

Good luck with it, hey.

Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa Florida

Best of luck to you, my friend. I was curious about you going duck hunting at this time of year, then realized that when it is Spring here, it is Fall down under. Do you have to use non toxic shot like we do? What breeds of ducks do you hunt? Inquiring minds want to know..........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

Quote Originally Posted by HAWKEN View Post
    Best of luck to you, my friend. I was curious about you going duck hunting at this time of year, then realized that when it is Spring here, it is Fall down under. Do you have to use non toxic shot like we do? What breeds of ducks do you hunt? Inquiring minds want to know..........robin
    We converted to steel about 10 yrs ago.There is an exemption for 16/20/28 and 410 to use lead but that comes to an end soon.

Duck species are Grey ducks ( native) Mallards ( introduced) Paradise ducks ( native shellducks) Black Swan ( Aussie immigrants). We have Giant Canada geese here as well but their numbers are so great they are now classed as a pest and can be hunted 24/7 by any means including rifles etc.

Upland game is Pheasants, California Quail, Chukar ( Sth Island) Pukeko ( Looks like your purple Gallinule).

We converted to steel about 10 yrs ago.There is an exemption for 16/20/28 and 410 to use lead but that comes to an end soon.

Duck species are Grey ducks ( native) Mallards ( introduced) Paradise ducks ( native shellducks) Black Swan ( Aussie immigrants). We have Giant Canada geese here as well but their numbers are so great they are now classed as a pest and can be hunted 24/7 by any means including rifles etc.

Upland game is Pheasants, California Quail, Chukar ( Sth Island) Pukeko ( Looks like your purple Gallinule).
    How long is the season? And how much for a non resident license? Also, does a Philippine citizen need a visa? Do I need a visa? I'm not inviting myself but you already invited me a few years back.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    How long is the season?
    4 weeks/5 weekends
    And how much for a non resident license?
    Non resident licence is the same price as residents.........$93nz
    Also, does a Philippine citizen need a visa? Do I need a visa?
    No visa necessary from memory
    I'm not inviting myself but you already invited me a few years back.
    Season starts next weekend, you need to be here next friday morning cos thats when we head up to our spot.

Wanna shoot a deer or some goats while you are here?

May you have a safe and memorable hunt, my friend

Check your mail when you get back
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

I've been straight for 33 years.

Have fun!
    "If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." -Ronald Reagan on the economic philosophy of big government.

It is 5.15am where I am .
    Duck hunting season opens in 1.5hrs, I'm having difficulty with the wait.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by ojr View Post
    It is 5.15am where I am .
    Duck hunting season opens in 1.5hrs, I'm having difficulty with the wait.
    Pictures at 5:15pm please.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Wanna shoot a deer or some goats while you are here?
    oh yes, can I use your .270? I'll bring a scope. Which you can keep, a period correct K-6 Weaver Steel tube bought in 1979. It's on my 7mm Mag now, but I'm going to put a new Nikon on that, because shooting in the Syndero on my lease I need more than 6x.
    Last edited by snake284; 05-06-2017 at 06:34 AM.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    Pictures at 5:15pm please.
    12 birds for the day for me.
    A mixture of 2 Paradise ducks the rest mallards and greys and hybrids of
    Ample for the two of us to prepare tomorrow afternoon for eating .
    And there is three months for us down here. nearly 5 for the Paradise Ducks.
    The Remington V3 never missed a beat, not that it was worked that hard, got a bit of mud and stuff on it though.

Sounds good OJR

Excellent result ojr. Glad to hear the V3 passed its opening day test with flying colours.

I managed to get my hunting buddy GB out this year. ( He is in the advanced stages of Parkinsons) Made my mind up a few years ago that while he could still hunt I would make sure that he got out there.

GB's reactions were very slow unfortunately so I did the calling and gave him first shot at any birds that came in. After he missed the first 4 or 5 his confidence deteriorated. I solved that problem with the next pair that came in. As they turned and came straight towards us I told him to take the right hand bird ( GB was on my right). When I said 'Take them' I held on his bird and waited till I saw his gun come up and kept my hold until I sensed he was going to shoot and squeezed the trigger. Got the timing right and both shots sounded like one with the bird crumpling. I then shot the bird on the left with my second shot.
    I then turned to see him with a big grin on his face. Next bird was a single which I said was his........as it flared, I did the same thing and although the shots were slightly 'ragged' he didnt notice and again thought he had scored.

After that he managed to knock a couple more birds out of the air. We both had a good weekend............except for the sleeping in the 13' boat on fri night. Temps dropped to about 3 degrees and at 2am the boat started to 'vibrate'. I switched my headlamp on to see what was causing it and noted that he was shaking. Woke him up and made him a hot meal ( venison steak, bacon and cheese sandwich) followed by a mug of hot chocolate which cured his shaking. He joked that we didnt need a shaker decoy.....the ripples from the boat shaking gave the dekes enough movement......( He still has a wicked sense of humour despite his affliction)

Bloodhound shot his limit on saturday (10) and decided to stay out sat night whereas we pulled the pin and returned to base so GB could get a better nights sleep.

Sunday morning we went to a different location and had a few birds come in which ended up staying for dinner.......We ended up with 15 birds between us. 14 mallards and one Paradise for the weekend. BH got another 4 after he came over to our location so the final tally for the 3 of us was 30 birds all up.

Fun times with a couple of great guys.

Sounds like a good way to spend the weekend

GB is blessed to have a friend like you

if only we could all be so lucky

Sounds like a great weekend Orchidman.
    it's a pity there has to be a Monday after weekends like these.

Excellent result ojr. Glad to hear the V3 passed its opening day test with flying colours.

I managed to get my hunting buddy GB out this year. ( He is in the advanced stages of Parkinsons) Made my mind up a few years ago that while he could still hunt I would make sure that he got out there.

GB's reactions were very slow unfortunately so I did the calling and gave him first shot at any birds that came in. After he missed the first 4 or 5 his confidence deteriorated. I solved that problem with the next pair that came in. As they turned and came straight towards us I told him to take the right hand bird ( GB was on my right). When I said 'Take them' I held on his bird and waited till I saw his gun come up and kept my hold until I sensed he was going to shoot and squeezed the trigger. Got the timing right and both shots sounded like one with the bird crumpling. I then shot the bird on the left with my second shot.
    I then turned to see him with a big grin on his face. Next bird was a single which I said was his........as it flared, I did the same thing and although the shots were slightly 'ragged' he didnt notice and again thought he had scored.

After that he managed to knock a couple more birds out of the air. We both had a good weekend............except for the sleeping in the 13' boat on fri night. Temps dropped to about 3 degrees and at 2am the boat started to 'vibrate'. I switched my headlamp on to see what was causing it and noted that he was shaking. Woke him up and made him a hot meal ( venison steak, bacon and cheese sandwich) followed by a mug of hot chocolate which cured his shaking. He joked that we didnt need a shaker decoy.....the ripples from the boat shaking gave the dekes enough movement......( He still has a wicked sense of humour despite his affliction)

Bloodhound shot his limit on saturday (10) and decided to stay out sat night whereas we pulled the pin and returned to base so GB could get a better nights sleep.

Sunday morning we went to a different location and had a few birds come in which ended up staying for dinner.......We ended up with 15 birds between us. 14 mallards and one Paradise for the weekend. BH got another 4 after he came over to our location so the final tally for the 3 of us was 30 birds all up.

Fun times with a couple of great guys.
    Brother... I can't wait to meet you...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Brother... I can't wait to meet you...
    Yep, I was going to make a good effort to get to the SE shoot this year until Alec had to tend to his folks.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Yep, I was going to make a good effort to get to the SE shoot this year until Alec had to tend to his folks.
    Having had the pleasure.... I can wholeheartedly assure you, it would be worth the trip

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    Having had the pleasure.... I can wholeheartedly assure you, it would be worth the trip
    Worth it regardless, I am looking forward to meeting Clean so I can give her a sympathy hug and then an 'atta girl

Worth it regardless, I am looking forward to meeting Clean so I can give her a sympathy hug and then an 'atta girl
    I've been around Ned and Clean one time only, but I can assure you they're good folks and they are a TEAM! And not bad folks for Yankees, .......