Thread: Went Squirrel Hunting Yesterday

Went Squirrel Hunting Yesterday

My grandson called me Saturday to see if we could go squirrle hunting on the deer lease. I told him not today but maybe tomorrow after church. I ended up skipping church and got busy with other stuff. I figured if he really wanted to go he'd call me. But finally at about 2:20 No call yet so I called him. I asked "Do you still want to go squirrel hunting?" to which he promptly told me "Heck Yeah Papaw!" So I got my snake bite kit and my knife, pulled on some grubby jeans and my hunting boots, put the guns and ammo in the car and went and got him. It was an absolutely beautiful afternoon, not a cloud in the sky and on the cool side at 70 degrees. We got to the ranch about 3:30 P.M. and started still hunting immediately.

He has an old jamamatic Stevens semi auto I gave him a few years back, but I let him use my 10-22 with an old Simmons 8 Point 3-9x40 scope on it while I used my Savage Mark II Bolt Gun, which has a Simmons 4x .22 Mag scope. I'd recently sighted both guns in at 50 yards.

We worked our way down to the far end of the lease close to where my deer feeder is located on the syndero . Blayne walked inside the brush line while I sat in the car gazing at the trees along the syndero road where I'd seen many a squirrel running and playing. But not today. I finally heard Blayne shoot. Not just once but a total of six times. I waited at the car for Blayne to show his happy face with a squirrel under each arm. But when he finally popped out of the tree line he was still squirreless. I asked him what happened and he said they were runnin sideways 90 MPH, HeHeHeHe. I wish I would have let him take that old Savage Semi Auto I gave him now. Because it has a better scope and though it likes to jam, for that one shot it's reliable and dead on accurate. AND he's used to it and can shoot it very well thank you.

Anyway, even though we came home Squirreless, we enjoyed hell out of just getting out in the beautiful afternoon. So I think we'll do it again this next weekend.
    Last edited by snake284; 05-01-2017 at 07:30 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Re: Went Squirrel Hunting Yesterday

Snake, youn's aint got no season on squirrels in Texas? Mighty late to be squirrel hunting! Youn's needs to be fishin'!

Quote Originally Posted by woodsrunner View Post
    Snake, youn's aint got no season on squirrels in Texas? Mighty late to be squirrel hunting! Youn's needs to be fishin'!

Nope no season on squirrel, cept it's generally considered that April and mainly May are the times to do it because, I don't know why because, just always heard that was the time to hunt them. I'm not too keen on hunting them now. There's other animals out this time of year that you can have a conflict with that doesn't usually turn out good.

April and May are the time that the Reptilian Snakus Rattilius gets active and he probably hasn't eaten in a few months because he's been down in his hole stayin' warm and since he hasn't eaten he probably has a full load of potent venom ready to inject you with.

Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Get the new book, just published couple of months ago, "Diamonds In The Rough" by my very good friend, Bruce Means. Read it and you'll quit worrying very much about being rattle snake bit!

Tennessee has a spring Squirrel season which will be open during the SE Shoot- - - -mid-May to mid-June. The regular season runs from late August to early February, so other than a short early spring breeding season and a break in July, squirrel is on the menu pretty much year round. Squirrel and dumplings with big cat head biscuits to sop up the gravy- - - - -I'm getting hungry! Bring that little smokepole and we can sneak out in the woods about daylight and bushwhack a few!
    Jerry
    The masochist says "HIT ME! The sadist says "NO!"
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

Sneak out to the trees where they live before light. Squirrels don't get up early. Sit down and wait for morning.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Get the new book, just published couple of months ago, "Diamonds In The Rough" by my very good friend, Bruce Means. Read it and you'll quit worrying very much about being rattle snake bit!
    Makes no difference what you tell me about the Buzz Tail. My fear of them isn't born out of any real rational thought so much as real live experience. It's from having too many scary encounters, too many times stepping on them, too many times walking up on them, and some were very BIG, so BIG that a surprise encounter will cause one to have to change his/her drawers!

Besides, I've known too many people with real life experiences, such as my good friend Russel who went out his back door at his house one morning before daylight to feed his dog and a five footer tagged him on the foot, or my friend, Larry R., who went to get in his car in his garage and got bit by one that was laying under his car, did I mention it was "In His Garage?"

And another Larry, Larry M. who got bit on the hand picking up firewood, again, "In His Garage!"

And an old school teacher who lived out on the Corpus Hiway about 8 miles south of here. who was feeling for something on the shelf in her bedroom closet when she pulled a five footer off the closet shelf by the tail. Old woman damned near had a heart attack. They said the only thing saved her from getting bit in the hand or possibly her head was the snake was all wrapped around crap in the top of her closet and when she pulled his tail he struck several times (as evidenced by fang marks on various items on the shelf such as shoes, and a rain coat lying on the shelf) but he (the snake) was hitting these items instead of her hand or worse. She had figured it out and was running out of the room when the big snake hit the floor.

And the one about a friend from work named Lloyd, that lives out at La Salle in the country while he was just getting to work, his wife was getting the the kids out the door to the school bus when a four footer bit her in the back of the calf, and she almost died because it was April and the snake got her with a wet bite that was very potent. They usually run several tests with anti venom to make sure you're not allergic before they give the complete dosage, but they called him at work to tell him they needed his permission to give it after only one test because her BP and other vitals were degrading at an alarming rate. He gave them permission of course and she survived the potent bite.

Then there's the story about my friend who crawled in his deer blind in the dark (0f course the dumbass should have had a flash light). As it got lighter he said it looked like something on the floor and when it got light enough he saw it was a 4 foot rattler. But it was pretty cold in November in Junction Texas so the snake wasn't real active. But it started to move as my friend moved to get his side arm out and shoot its head off.

Call me a wimp! But call me ALIVE!!!

Of course I realize the futility in trying to explain my largely UNFOUNDED? fear of rattle snakes to a guy that crawled under his house to kill a five foot cotton mouth, If it's me that snake would have owned that part of my house!!!

Last edited by snake284; 05-01-2017 at 09:18 PM.

Had forgotten all about the Cottonmouths under the house! I couldn't hear a dang thing for about a week after that episode!

Had forgotten all about the Cottonmouths under the house! I couldn't hear a dang thing for about a week after that episode!
    Your wife told us about that one. She said that you crawled under the house with a muzzleloader that was bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    I would drop trou too, and because I am a caring person I would've given that young man a hug.

I forget what I used! The snake got in an old stump hole about 2 feet deep, and would raise its head up and look at me. I could see it with my flashlight. Since I had no way of getting it out of the hole, and I had to wiggle around on my side with about 18 inches of crawl space, I let it raise its head up to look at me, and I busted hell out of it! Couldn't hear much for 3 or 4 days! (Shooting a firearm under a house ain't fun!). I swear on my honor that several days later ANOTHER Cottonmouth, a little bigger than the first, did the exact same thing! My little Rat Terrier started barking and raising hell, and I figured it was another snake in the yard...and it was! This snake did the exact same thing, ran through the same hole under the house and went directly to the same stump hole! I swear it's the God's truth! So back under the house I went, flashlight and SXS shotgun---I think---and repeated the process exactly as the first time! Couldn't hear a damn thing for several more days!

That's been what---8 or 10 years ago---? I know it was in September, breeding season for Cottonmouths in north Florida, and I'm sure the first snake was a female and the second was a male tracking her down. Way back then when "electronics" were more simple, I posted photos of me holding both snakes up by the tail, and they were exceptionally large as Cottonmouths go...over 4 feet long, and 4-6 inches in thickness. Maybe Mike or Jerry will know how to pull up old photos....I'd forgotten all about those two snakes!

Squirrel season varies by county in Texas. It re-opened today in my county, for one month, then closes until October.

Sometimes, just getting out is the whole experience and that's good enough! Glad to see you tug on the young man's arm to get him out hunting.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Tennessee has a spring Squirrel season which will be open during the SE Shoot- - - -mid-May to mid-June. The regular season runs from late August to early February, so other than a short early spring breeding season and a break in July, squirrel is on the menu pretty much year round. Squirrel and dumplings with big cat head biscuits to sop up the gravy- - - - -I'm getting hungry! Bring that little smokepole and we can sneak out in the woods about daylight and bushwhack a few!
    Jerry
    you talkin' to Rich? Mine's a 50 Cal. Hehehehe!

Quote Originally Posted by bisley View Post
    Squirrel season varies by county in Texas. It re-opened today in my county, for one month, then closes until October.
    I don't think Calhoun or Jackson Counties have a squirrel season. It's year round That's what it says in the book. If those counties do then it was probably open anyway. I don't care, we didn't kill one anyhow. And there ain't no shortage of squirrels around here. And if we run low on squirrels out at the lease I can just trap a few around the house and take em out there and let em go. This place is wall to wall squirrels. I've even thought about getting me a pellet gun and thinning em out some.
    Last edited by snake284; 05-02-2017 at 06:54 PM.

I forget what I used! The snake got in an old stump hole about 2 feet deep, and would raise its head up and look at me. I could see it with my flashlight. Since I had no way of getting it out of the hole, and I had to wiggle around on my side with about 18 inches of crawl space, I let it raise its head up to look at me, and I busted hell out of it! Couldn't hear much for 3 or 4 days! (Shooting a firearm under a house ain't fun!). I swear on my honor that several days later ANOTHER Cottonmouth, a little bigger than the first, did the exact same thing! My little Rat Terrier started barking and raising hell, and I figured it was another snake in the yard...and it was! This snake did the exact same thing, ran through the same hole under the house and went directly to the same stump hole! I swear it's the God's truth! So back under the house I went, flashlight and SXS shotgun---I think---and repeated the process exactly as the first time! Couldn't hear a damn thing for several more days!

That's been what---8 or 10 years ago---? I know it was in September, breeding season for Cottonmouths in north Florida, and I'm sure the first snake was a female and the second was a male tracking her down. Way back then when "electronics" were more simple, I posted photos of me holding both snakes up by the tail, and they were exceptionally large as Cottonmouths go...over 4 feet long, and 4-6 inches in thickness. Maybe Mike or Jerry will know how to pull up old photos....I'd forgotten all about those two snakes!
    I'll never forget that story. I thought you were plum crazy crawlin under your house to kill a snake. Not me, no way. Just as long as he don't get in the house I'm fine leaving him under the house. Now iffin he shows his face outside in the yard I'll do my best to make quick work of him, but I'm not that adventuresome yet. Like I said, too many experiences with snakes and got the crap scared out of me too many times. I give snakes a wide berth, poisonous ones anyway.

We have all four species of Poisonous Snakes native to the US out on that lease. Rattlers, Cotton Mouth Water Moccasins, Copper Heads, and Coral Snakes. I don't get the warm and fuzzy with any of them. And around here they all four can get big. Even Coral Snakes I've seen that were big for their species. I killed a three footer just a quater mile outside Seadrift when I was 10 years old with a pellet gun. He almost got me cause I was reaching for a quail I'd shot that ran into a clump of thorn bushes.
    Last edited by snake284; 05-02-2017 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    Sometimes, just getting out is the whole experience and that's good enough! Glad to see you tug on the young man's arm to get him out hunting.
    Tug him to get him to go? Oh man he's been buggin' me for a month but he always asks me at a bad time. But Sunday the stars lined up and we were both ready and available. He's my oldest grandson, but his sister is two years older than him, well a year and 11 months and 16 days. They had them two like Boom! Boom! One after the other. Blayne is 17 and Hayley is 19 and in college. I tried to take Hayley out too, but she's too much girl to hunt I guess. She doesn't like the boom of the guns. But I figure she'll change. Her mother has killed deer and she was District champion in 4H Rifle when she was a senior in high school. I'm still workin' on her.

I remember the story, Rich. I thought it was a 16 gauge shotgun, but that may not be the case. Maybe a Sauer double percussion? Does that make sense?
    Last edited by Gene L; 05-03-2017 at 05:16 AM.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    I don't think Calhoun or Jackson Counties have a squirrel season. It's year round That's what it says in the book. If those counties do then it was probably open anyway. I don't care, we didn't kill one anyhow. And there ain't no shortage of squirrels around here. And if we run low on squirrels out at the lease I can just trap a few around the house and take em out there and let em go. This place is wall to wall squirrels. I've even thought about getting me a pellet gun and thinning em out some.
    It should be open season on them, any time, with a repeating (not semi-auto) rifle, at least - the odds are heavily in their favor, unless they have been 'domesticated.'

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    I remember the story, Rich. I thought it was a 16 gauge shotgun, but that may not be the case. Maybe a Sauer double percussion? Does that make sense?
    That's what strikes my memory, a 16 gauge double barrel SxS of some sort.

Suhl, maybe?
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

It had to be my little 16ga Sauer SXS (the one I got from Edda Goering )! I can handle it fine even in cramped quarters. My wife doesn't know a flintlock from as AR-15, so she got it wrong probably thinking "muzzleloader" since that's usually what I use.

Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa Florida

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    you talkin' to Rich? Mine's a 50 Cal. Hehehehe!
    Snake, that .50 will work fine for squirrels, as long as you make head shots, or there won't be much left to pick up, LOL. Or you can try "barking" them, shooting the limb under their chin, so the concussion will fell them. I always try to shoot them in the face. Keep yer powder dry..........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

Quote Originally Posted by HAWKEN View Post
    Snake, that .50 will work fine for squirrels, as long as you make head shots, or there won't be much left to pick up, LOL. Or you can try "barking" them, shooting the limb under their chin, so the concussion will fell them. I always try to shoot them in the face. Keep yer powder dry..........robin
    Robin I might try it out. I'm not that starved for meat anyway, I'm doing this for fun so yeah that would be FUN. So the ol' front stuffer it is this next weekend.

Just don't try any of those 300 yard shots with a smokepole like you do on deer!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Teach;6535 i426
    Just don't try any of those 300 yard shots with a smokepole like you do on deer!
    Jerry
    The farthest out I've shot at a deer with it was about 130 yards year before last. I thought it was farther til I measured it. If I have a smokeopole capable of hitting and dropping a deer at 200 I probably wouldn't try it unless I had a scope and then I'd be iffy. I did shoot it out to 200 at the range and it hit about 5 inches low and a couple inches right. I probably could have killed one like that using the Hornady 250 grain sabot. But if I take it for squirrels it will be with round balls and about 50 grains of powder and no farther than 50 yards, more likely 30.

Don't drop your powder charge unless you intend to spend a lot of time figuring out where it hits with the reduced load. Use the most accurate load and take head shots only. Once you find the sweet spot accurate load on a smokepole, stick with it.
    Jerry