Thread: Two guns, no pictures

Two guns, no pictures

But then you don't need pictures. One is a new S&W 442, which I traded in my S&W 380 for with cash, of course. The other walked in while I was filling out paperwork: a like new Nylon 66, Mohawk Brown, which I also bought. I thought it was a good price and I have a weakness for Nylon 66s.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Re: Two guns, no pictures

A wise trade with a very nice "secondary explosion" thrown in. A good day!

Nylons are neat to shoot. Just going by feel, they do seem to be one of the better balanced .22 mechanisms. I wish they'd bring them back in a full stainless version, as that would be about the last word in "durable truck gun".
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Good choices. I have a 642 that I like, and the Nylon 66 is just plain cool for any of us that got to plink with one, back in their heyday. I still remember that photo of the guy sitting on a huge pile of 2x2 wood blocks that he shot out of the air.

Now that's how ya make the most of a gunstore visit. Nice work and good scores.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

I have mommy's Nylon 66, chrome plated with white diamonds in the black stock. They may call it a Mohawk or Apache, I dunno?????????????
    Last edited by Big Chief; 05-16-2017 at 10:57 PM.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Black and chrome is the Apache black model. The Mohawk is brown.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Two good finds Gene.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Even better news: the Nylon 66 is Senaca Green instead of Mohawk Brown. Couldn't tell so in the store, but once outside the brown has an OD tint to it. Very subtle, and worth a bit more than the Brown ones.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Wasnt 'Two Guns No Pictures' one of the Indians in the movie Blazing saddles............or was he in the remake of Maverick?

Nice score Gene. Always been interested in a Nylon 66 ever since I saw a pic in a Field and Stream magazine back when I was just out of triangular trousers.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

I've got a Mohawk Brown one. I was attracted to this one because it was in excellent shape. I thought I paid about what it was worth until I got home and realized it was a Seneca, which raises the value up a LOT. They only made the Senecas for two years. It's a prior-serial number gun made in Jan 59 according to the barrel stamp.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Nice find!!I've got a 552 Speedmaster from about the same era. It's the best shooting most accurate naturally pointing .22 I have!

For some reason, my Nylon 66 shoots better than my 10/22 or Marlin 60.
    Sounds like you found a rare duck! Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by bisley View Post
    Good choices. I have a 642 that I like, and the Nylon 66 is just plain cool for any of us that got to plink with one, back in their heyday. I still remember that photo of the guy sitting on a huge pile of 2x2 wood blocks that he shot out of the air.
    My Nylon was one of the victims of my first divorce. I nearly cry when I think about it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    Nice find!!I've got a 552 Speedmaster from about the same era. It's the best shooting most accurate naturally pointing .22 I have!
    I agree.

When I was a kid, I lusted for a Speedmaster, but had to settle for a Marlin 60. The Marlin was a great rifle for a good price, and the Speedmaster was priced out of my league, completely. I finally got a nice one from the '60's, about ten years ago, and it is everything I always thought it would be. I have yet to try it with shorts, but it's supposed to shoot them just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    A wise trade with a very nice "secondary explosion" thrown in. A good day!

Nylons are neat to shoot. Just going by feel, they do seem to be one of the better balanced .22 mechanisms. I wish they'd bring them back in a full stainless version, as that would be about the last word in "durable truck gun".
    The Glock of .22 rifles... I'd buy one!
    Tim Mason

Those 66s do have a strong fan base! Friend of mine has the habit of buying every one he can put his hands on (Although they're not precisely abundant down here), and so far has been able to pick one of each stock color. Have test fire some of them at the range and although light, handy, reliable and accurate, couldn't fancy them as much as apparently some do.

Nice try.....but I'm a visual learner.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa Florida

Great score Gene. A word of caution: Don't leave it in a gun rack in your truck, the sun will warp the stock big time........robin
    Last edited by HAWKEN; 05-18-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

A poor photo showing the difference in my brown nylon 66 and the Seneca Green one. Sorry about the bad quality of the photos, I'm a lousy photographer.

Last edited by Gene L; 05-19-2017 at 03:32 AM.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    But then you don't need pictures. One is a new S&W 442, which I traded in my S&W 380 for with cash, of course. The other walked in while I was filling out paperwork: a like new Nylon 66, Mohawk Brown, which I also bought. I thought it was a good price and I have a weakness for Nylon 66s.

I had a serious lush-crust for the Nylon 66 as a youth, and it continues today.
    While I have acquired a couple of Remington 22's that I desired in my younger days.
    Wonder what the price tag would be on a re-introduction of the Nylon 66.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

Remington would have to re-tool, so I expect the reintroduction cost would be way up there. The K-Mart versions (can't remember the number; Apache?) are grass green and have a bad reputation because they came late in production when the tooling was said, or believed, to be worn. I think they had an external magazine.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

I can see the color contrast very well.

That little hamerless looks like a good pocket gun.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

It's in my pocket now.

The color difference in the 66s is not nearly as evident as in the picture when you're indoors. I thought it was brown when I bought it. Or that it was an imperfection in the nylon. Some years ago, I bought the brown one which had a scratched-up stock. My friend attended a lot of gunshows and told me he saw a guy who had a "stack" of original stocks for $25! each! I bought one of course, and rust-blued the receiver, not a very onerous task. Now it looks great. Another friend put the stock on; it's not a job for the rookie like me.

Never take one apart! Nor do you need to, as they require zero lube.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by ericcrosby View Post
    Hi, They look nice.
    Reported for spam in another post
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....