Thread: Teaching social justice through math

Teaching social justice through math

I am speechless. I always thought mathematics transcended race, gender, religion, and sexual orientation. I had no idea it is used as a "tool of oppression".

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9187

“Do you ask students to think deeply about global and local social justice issues within your mathematics classroom?” a course overview asks. “This education and teacher training course will help you blend secondary math instruction with topics such as inequity, poverty, and privilege to transform students into global thinkers and mathematicians.”

According to the website, the course can even help students to learn math, because while many aspects of middle- and high-school math “can seem abstract to students,” the developers claim that “setting the mathematics within a specially-developed social justice framework can help students realize the power and meaning of both the data and social justice concerns.”
    Participants in the online course are given sample ideas for lessons they could create, such as using math to teach students about “Unpaid Work Hours in the Home by Gender” and “Race and Imprisonment Rates in the United States.”

The module also identifies five main themes of “intersectional mathematics,” including “mathematical ethics,” which refers to the notion that math is often used as a tool of oppression, according to the instructors.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Re: Teaching social justice through math

Makes my head hurt and my stomach turn, so much effort put into twisting a spinning everything, even math now.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Makes perfect sense. "If pookie sells 3 rocks to latasha and 6 blunts to omar, how much does he owe his dealer?"
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Inner City Math Quiz

"D'Antonio has an AK-47 with a 90-round banana clip. If he fires an average of 11 rounds each time he does a drive-by, how many street corner pimps and dope dealer competitors can he shoot up from the sunroof of his Escalade before he has to reload?"

"Manuel buys 1/2 a kilo of powder Cocaine. If he wants to do an 80% cut, how much milk sugar does he need to buy to prepare 200 baggies for sale on the street?"

"Never mind- - - -D'Antonio just shot Manuel! If 50 of Manuel's homeboys attend his funeral, how many limos carrying 11 each will it take to make up his funeral procession?"

Jerry
    The masochist says "HIT ME! The sadist says "NO!"
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

numbers be rasist yo

Johnny can't read. Johnny can't write in cursive. Johnny doesn't know history, economics, law, or anything else that might matter. What difference does it make if Johnny isn't taught math? The fast food cash register already figures the change for the cashier.

But don't despair. Johnny knows all about climate change, Islam, environmentalism, privilege, and feminism. He's an athlete - and has the participation trophies to prove it. And he's a whiz at sexuality - knows the differences between all 31 genders, knows every orientation and has tried every erotic act - twice. He's all in with having two daddies or three mommies, and by the time he graduates, the experts assure us he will be able to pick his correct bathroom out a lineup.

Well now that you put it like that I think I'll go hideout in the mountains.

Social Justice math? OK. Try this:

California has 740 death row inmates. Johnny's proposal is to solve this problem using 7 round, GI 1911 magazines, while Billy's plan calls for 8 round Wilson Combats. How many more reloads will Johnny's plan require than Billy's?

Intersectional mathematics?

Bubba launches a 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2900 fps from a .30-06 into a full-value 8 mph crosswind toward a looter at 350 yards that is sprinting downwind at 12 mph. How much lead must Bubba apply for the Nosler and the looter to intersect? (Five extra credit points for each unit of measurement used - inches, yards, meters, mils, MOA, etc...)

I agree with their theory that math can be used to oppress: if they'd put it to me in THOSE terms, I wouldn't have sucked at it. Their lesson plans were prejudiced against students who didn't give a crap what time Fred's train caught up with Phil's.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Inner City Math Quiz

"D'Antonio has an AK-47 with a 90-round banana clip.....

Jerry
    I'd wish!

And I thought Klingon language classes were useless....this sets the bar even higher!

Wasn't "social justice" an imaginary concept that doesn't exist in reality, like unicorns?

I've got their social justice swinging. Wait, that's just my white privilege showing again. My bad, I thought I earned everything I have.
    These people are breeding racism, not combatting it.
    People who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    Well now that you put it like that I think I'll go hideout in the mountains.
    Ya want some company? I can bring my reloading stuff.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    I think I'll go hideout in the mountains.
    I did that 30-sometning years ago- - - -moved out in the boondocks 20 miles from the nearest town of any size. The problem is that civilization is creeping up way too close to suit me now!
    Jerry

I created a few problems to confront multiculturalism.
    One of them started, "Assud wants to buy a wife."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. db View Post
    "Assud wants to buy a wife- - - - -should he go shopping for a Nubian or a Boer goat?"
    Fixed it!

Jerry