Thread: FAIL: SUV Sinks Into NJ Beach as Man Tries to Photograph It by Ocean

FAIL: SUV Sinks Into NJ Beach as Man Tries to Photograph It by Ocean

Was a nice Land Rover...........one news station said it cost him 200 bucks to get it towed out of the surf. Article has video of him trying to dig it out...........

"Witnesses said the man insisted on driving the vehicle away after it was towed, even though its lights were flashing and its engine was making strange sounds."

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...422662724.html
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Re: FAIL: SUV Sinks Into NJ Beach as Man Tries to Photograph It by Ocean

It a rental!! No worries!!

Here in Florida, a vehicle is considered totalled if it's been submerged in salt water like that and it has to be disclosed when the vehicle is sold. That guy is an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Sometimes, stupidity might not be painful but can still be expensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    It a rental!! No worries!!

He should of had it towed to a hot dry place/garage opened the hood and doors and dried it out. Not sure if water or much got into the interior. Had the wiring checked and oils/fluids changed. LR may be sealed pretty good, I dunno or if he had the windows down..........???

Oh and plenty of full body car washes...............

I knew a guy who bought a new SUV with documented water damage from the Midwest dealership who sold/auctioned to other car lots....and got it for a song......he took a chance......but a couple new wiring harnesses and some new carpet is all it needed and he got many years of service outta it as a family vehicle with no issues.

Never know what you may be getting though.

Anyway LRs are nice vehicles and pricey.................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

Didn't Forrest Gump's Mama have something to say about that guy?

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

Those things use to be some of the more capable off road vehicles until the yuppies started buying them for grocery getters and the company went towards the keeping up with the kardashens crowd.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

Chief, a vehicle getting dipped in salt water is quite a bit different than getting soaked in fresh water.

My old Land Rover is still on the job out in KS....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    Chief, a vehicle getting dipped in salt water is quite a bit different than getting soaked in fresh water.
    True, but it's not a death sentence. I had a Nissan that was standing in salt water halfway up it's doors for a few days. I was out sailing for a long weekend and an extra high storm tide flooded the parking lot of the Marina. By the time I came back the water had subsided but there was about 3" of salt water inside the car. Then my insurance company and the Marina got into a pissing match and the car spent a month in the dealer parking lot waiting for it to get sorted out. When they got to it the mechanics replaced a wire harness that had shorted out that ran under the seats and the car started right up. The head mechanic called to tell me this, they were NEVER expecting this.

The interiors were flushed with fresh water, rugs shampooed and steam cleaned and a few things replaced (mostly cosmetic). I decided not to sell the car because I figured I could not pass it along with a clear conscience. I ran that puppy trouble free for over 125k miles and then gifted it to my sister who put another 35k miles on the car before giving it to her teenage son who totaled it in an accident IIRC.

Now this was before the days of computerized cars and it was a fairly basic model which I used for commuting to/from work. Not sure how well a fancier car with tons of electronics would have fared...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Not sure how well a fancier car with tons of electronics would have fared...
    Not well at all- - - -I don't care if a vehicle gets flooded with fresh water, salt water, or bottles of Perrier- - - - -it's junk! Water high enough to reach the wiring harnesses, and especially if it wets down any sort of computer for more than maybe a few minutes is a death sentence. If someone wanted to GIVE me a brand new flood car and make me drive it on a regular basis, I'd do my best to refuse!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Not well at all- - - -I don't care if a vehicle gets flooded with fresh water, salt water, or bottles of Perrier- - - - -it's junk! Water high enough to reach the wiring harnesses, and especially if it wets down any sort of computer for more than maybe a few minutes is a death sentence. If someone wanted to GIVE me a brand new flood car and make me drive it on a regular basis, I'd do my best to refuse!
    Jerry
    Duh, it's easy to fix a car that's been submerged. You fix it just like a cell phone you dropped in the toilet. You just put it in a bag of rice overnight, and all fixie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

I am surprised that he wasnt able to drive it out. Its a landrover damnit!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

My brother got a "too good to be true" deal on a very low mileage Ford Granada several years ago. After doing a rebuild of the engine, transmission, and rear end, plus fixing a bunch of electrical gremlins, we started finding evidence that suggested it might have been a reclaimed flood car. That was long before the days of Carfax and other tracking methods of investigating a car's maintenance history, and also before "salvage" titles were required on reclaimed insurance totals.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by NCFUBAR View Post
    Those things use to be some of the more capable off road vehicles until the yuppies started buying them for grocery getters and the company went towards the keeping up with the kardashens crowd.
    Exactly. Just another shoe-shaped wannabe.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post

You are correct, salt water is more corrosive. Having grown up in FLA I've seen the results of salt water damage. I assume it was exposed to a fresh water river/lake flooding, but who knows with hurricanes/tropical storms it could have come from a coastal area.

Hey they have "Snorkel Kits" fer some military vehicles or did and modern civilian Jeeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    Hey they have "Snorkel Kits" fer some military vehicles or did and modern civilian Jeeps.
    The military vehicles are designed for water crossings (within reason). The civilian snorkels you see on SUV type Jeeps are mostly for show. If your Grand Cherokee is in the water deep enough to need that snorkel it will short out and die mid-crossing. The Wrangler is a different animal, at least the older ones are but I have NO experience with post 2006s. I did get mine in the water pretty deep quite a few times and I had to open the drain holes, actually I ended up throwing the plugs out because they were out so much. I even used a garden hose to clean out the interior (all carpeting was removed and I only ran thick rubber mats) and ran it sans top in pouring rain and never had any issues but then again they don't run any wire on the floor because of that...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

After Hurricane Opal, there were people cleaning up cars that got flooded and were selling them to unsuspecting people out of state who usually started having problems pretty quickly after they got their great deal. That was where anything that got dunked in salt water got written off as totaled and got a salvage title to make sure that it couldn't get tagged again. Some people have found ways to tag a salvage titled vehicle but in Florida, it's almost impossible.

Rebuilt total-loss wrecks and vehicles written off and salvaged for other reasons here in Tennessee can be resold, registered, and driven on a "salvage" title but insurance companies refuse to write anything but liability insurance on them. I've driven a few pretty well-repaired totals, but I had no intention of trying to buy full-coverage insurance.
    Jerry

That sinking feeling when you realize you have enough money to own a Land Rover, but not the brains to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
    Alec, him is "Merican" ;)

Quote Originally Posted by HappySquid View Post
    Alec, him is "Merican" on the Jersey Shore ;)
    FIFY ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

I have a pickup that has been totaled twice. When I bought it wrecked it had 5k on it and I rebuilt it and my ex drove it for quite a while then my son took it and hit a deer. We were still carrying full coverage and they paid less for it because of the salvage title but were very fair imo and I bought it back and my son started fixing it but never finished.

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
    He's from New Jersey on the North East coast; you know, the toxic waste dump for New York City! Them folk ain't eat up with the smarts nor common sense! I know for sure and for certain you'd HATE that state!

Seriously, I saw a LOT of that going on Jacksonville Beach, FL in the mid 1970s. People would park on the beach at low tide, go foolin' around on the beach, and come back to a submerged/partially submerged vehicle because they didn't notice the tide coming in. After being pulled out of the surf, most needed extensive work to get in running condition, and that was before the computerized whiz bang stuff in cars now. Anybody that had a lick of sense could see where the high tide line was and didn't park below it.
    Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: "Half of writing history is hiding the truth."
    “He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.” Elbert Hubbard

That New Jersey guy is a rank amateur. He should either go big, or go home!

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: "Half of writing history is hiding the truth."
    “He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.” Elbert Hubbard

I hope that guy got that fiver out of there - the waves would destroy it in a matter of hours.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."