Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing Myself and My Ammunition Conversion Clip

Introducing Myself and My Ammunition Conversion Clip

Hello,

My name is Brad Fairall. Some of you may know of me from my time as a custom knife maker (The Ghostmaker).

I would like to get some feedback on my most recent invention (patent pending). I call it the "Ammunition Conversion Clip."
    It adds a reusable rim to ACP ammo, allowing it to chamber in a revolver, derringer, or single shot rifle of pistol caliber. They
    will be available for .45 ACP initially. Clips designed for .380 ACP and several other varieties coming soon.

No machine work is required to alter your firearm, nor is there any need to carry additional or modified cylinders/barrels/etc.
    Bullets can be loaded normally, and even mixed in with the firearm's intended ammunition type. Certain types of ammo are now
    capable of functioning properly in firearms that did not accept the cartridge previously. This will also allow for savings on price of
    ammunition.

Here is a link to a video introducing the concept of the Ammunition Conversion Clip.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC95...CARTZlSIJacB7w

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you,
    Bradford K. Fairall I AKA "The Ghostmaker"

Re: Introducing Myself and My Ammunition Conversion Clip

Welcome.

Quite ingenious. Does the use of this ACC affect the case in any way when it come to resizing it?

ETA: Looking at the video again, I think I can answer my own question. Since the ACC is all contained in the extraction groove and above, there should be no effect on the case at the time of firing.
    Last edited by Pegasus; 05-18-2017 at 02:57 PM.

The ACC is removed and reused on a different shell each time. I have another video that I can post after editing which shows them being installed, shot, removed and reinstalled. I should post it here sometime today. Keep in mind that this is a brass prototype I tested it to 40 rounds and it preformed perfectly! I will first be making them of injection molded plastic with the spring steel version will come later.

The response to new guys peddling stuff is typically not very welcoming... hopefully this thread won't get zapped immediately.
    But anyway, even though I see not a whole lot of point to it, it isn't a half bad idea. Not sure how it's going to affect accuracy, seems the case had a bit of weeble wobble to it when placed in the cylinder. The "saving money " aspect is lost on me, since I'm a reloader.
    The machinist in me is wondering just how in the heck you made that....

And some friendly advice, your YouTube video could use some....polishing, if you're trying to sell the product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Neat. Could be handy to have a few around for kicks. Unfortunately you link is probably going to get deleted.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    The machinist in me is wondering just how in the heck you made that....
    Make it as a full circle piece on a CNC lathe, part it off, then slice a section out of the circle so it snaps on. I'd make it out of steel, make the gap a lot smaller, and temper it to give it some springiness. On a hand eject revolver like a S&W or Ruger double action, the gap will inevitably end up in the wrong place for reliable ejection. Basically, the design, and the material used SUCKS! A rubber O ring would accomplish the same purpose, and they're available by the thousands- - - - -CHEAP!
    Jerry
    Last edited by Teach; 05-18-2017 at 03:29 PM.
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    Just an old fart making the PC Patrol earn their pay!

Quote Originally Posted by Elk creek View Post
    Neat. Could be handy to have a few around for kicks. Unfortunately you link is probably going to get deleted.
    Not as long as he's only asking for opinions. If it crosses the line to advertising/sales then it's gone.

Seems like an interesting device and could be popular with the non-reloader .45 Colt shooters in the CAS crowd who could save money by using .45 acp for practice in the SA guns. That's a rather small market though.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Welcome, hey.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Another approach would be to use slices cut off a plain old coil spring about 1/2" in diameter. I could make a couple of hundred of them with a cutoff wheel on a Dremel tool with a total investment of about $5.00 and an hour or so of labor time.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    Just an old fart making the PC Patrol earn their pay!

Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Smile Re: Introducing Myself and My Ammunition Conversion Clip

Thanks for the welcome! All your opinions are welcome. The production plastic version does have a 350 degree ring... and I am just trying to get some feedback. With only a few days of video experience I think I did OK. This new video may be even worse(see below)...but I tried. As to how I made this proto. It wasn't easy to devise a machine to make them...took me a few days.

Here is my latest video... hope you enjoy it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVFJtWGGexE
    Last edited by gstmkr007; 05-18-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Banned

I like it. Beats the hell out of moon clips. And don't mind the ney sayers. There's always those that go to church on Sunday but treat others like shiite the other 6 days of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by gstmkr007 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! All your opinions are welcome. The production plastic version does have a 350 degree ring... and I am just trying to get some feedback. With only a few days of video experience I think I did OK. This new video may be even worse(see below)...but I tried. As to how I made this proto. It wasn't easy to devise a machine to make them...took me a few days.

Hey great product. I was impressed. Unfortunately you can't promote or sell it here. But asking for advice or opinion is fine I think. I'm just a member here. Not a boss. But welcome to the nut house.
    Last edited by snake284; 05-18-2017 at 06:49 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Hey you into gladiator movies? Do you or have you ever had a .270 Win.? Do you prefer Winchester lever guns or Marlin? And one last question on the Forum Acid Test, have you ever seen a grown man Naked? Other than yourself in the mirror of course.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Yes, No, Winchester, I believe so.... don't know how this is relevant to the discussion

I don't see why this post would be deleted...I am not trying to sell anything...I asked for feedback! I was under the impression that this was an area for discussion of General firearms related subjects... if I was selling something, wouldn't I have placed it in a for sale area?

I was a full time custom knife maker for 22 years and am well aware of how much fun it is to frequent a forum. I am glad to see there are some good folks here!
    Last edited by gstmkr007; 05-18-2017 at 07:43 PM.

You'll have to excuse snake284; he has a fascination with weird questions.

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest that you find out if a ~7/16" O-ring will accomplish the same thing, before investing a lot of money. If it does, it's going to be hard to compete with a 12 cent item from the local hardware store.

I don't see why this post would be deleted...I am not trying to sell anything...I asked for feedback! I was under the impression that this was an area for discussion of General firearms related subjects... if I was selling something, wouldn't I have placed it in a for sale area?

I was a full time custom knife maker for 22 years and am well aware of how much fun it is to frequent a forum. I am glad to see there are some good folks here!
    We are gun shy on new members peddling their wares. Typically when someone's first post is asking to view a video, click a link, etc, it's spam. Like 99% of the time. You're the first exception I'm aware of.
    We've had some doozys over the years for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    We are gun shy on new members peddling their wares. Typically when someone's first post is asking to view a video, click a link, etc, it's spam. Like 99% of the time. You're the first exception I'm aware of.
    We've had some doozys over the years for sure.

This... Folks get very creative trying to skirt our policies, and we have gotten very good at busting them and smelling a rat. We are a firearms forum and as such welcome all folks with an interest in firearms or related topics including new products. BUT, since our sponsor G&A happens to be a for profit company that derives most of their income from advertisement it would be hard to justify to the folks that actually pay to advertise with them if we allowed others to advertise/sell here for free. So we walk a fine line with very little latitude and if we make a mistake it will always be in the home team's favor.

If it's an honest opinion you want, you will get them here from folks with a LOT of combined trigger time in many disciplines. Some opinions will be kinder than others but that's the way it works here and in the real world.

Welcome.
    Last edited by Wambli Ska; 05-18-2017 at 08:18 PM.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Thank you guy's...Honesty is always best! That's what I was looking for! Also I did try many size O rings and had no luck...there is only a ten to 12 thou of an inch thick seat to set this acp cartridge in order to be at the correct height to function correctly...I did experiment with all the sizes of O rings available to rule them out first.

Interesting idy. Not sure how loading a short .45 ACP cartridge into a cylinder with throats much longer out will effect the accuracy. It (the bullet) has to travel further from the brass case to the throat where it is slightly squeezed and then has to jump to the forcing cone on the aft end of the revolvers barrel.

.45 ACP ammo is usually about half the cost of .45 Colt, there is that. Others can chime in on the Convertible revolvers that have both both the .45 Colt and .45 ACP cylinders included.

Issue for some .45 Colt revolvers (other than Rugers and that includes the new Vaquero which can still take Tier II loads) is they were not made to or may not be able to handle the higher pressures of the .45 ACP cartridge. Especially the imports.

I use Moon Clips with my S&W model 625 .45 ACP revolver or not because it fires W/O just fine, but extraction is slow. I shoot .45 Colt outta my Vaquero and don't know why I would want to fire .45 ACP ammo from it since I reload for both.

You may or may not of found a marketable niche to fill.

Anyhow, let us know what you finally come up with. Good luck.
    Last edited by Big Chief; 05-18-2017 at 09:34 PM.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Hey it would be kind'a cool to load up the old birdshead with some .45acp Gold Dots and go Doc Holliday to church and picnic on Sunday. I think I'm beginning to cozy up to the idea...

SAMMI Industry Pressure for a .45 Colt standard load is around 14,000 psi

For a .45 ACP about +- 22,000 psi

http://www.saami.org/specifications_...wnload/205.pdf
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

What I am saying is know your load/pressure and the gun you intend to fire it in. Older Colts or any makes especially foreign made ones/replicas I'd proceed with caution...........................and believe me some jackass will eventually hurt himself by stuffing hot .45 ACP +P and then some loads (like reloads) into a gun using your product which wasn't designed to fire it with disastrous results.

Then try and sue you for their stupidity.

How are you with mouse traps?

Welcome.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

You may have a point on the pressures...the 45ACP is higher...I did look into that.....and they have been shooting 45 acp from the LC cylinders for a long time..But a disclaimer is in probably order...Fire only from modern firearms in good condition and no +P or reloads kind of thing....I mean the LC and ACP cyliders are essentially the same with the exception of the length right??....It does fire fine from my uberti...
    Last edited by gstmkr007; 05-18-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Correct me if I am wrong...but your product is converting a .45 ACP into a .45 Auto Rim...kinda sorta?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong...but your product is converting a .45 ACP into a .45 Auto Rim...kinda sorta?
    There is that too. I dunno, will .45 Auto-rim fit into a SA .45 Colt with no issues. I know it will fit in .45 ACP DA revolvers to avoid having to use moonies...........????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Make it as a full circle piece on a CNC lathe, part it off, then slice a section out of the circle so it snaps on. I'd make it out of steel, make the gap a lot smaller, and temper it to give it some springiness. On a hand eject revolver like a S&W or Ruger double action, the gap will inevitably end up in the wrong place for reliable ejection. Basically, the design, and the material used SUCKS! A rubber O ring would accomplish the same purpose, and they're available by the thousands- - - - -CHEAP!
    Jerry
    How reusable would that O-ring method be? Just any O-Ring that fits the groove on the case? I'd like to try that and do it at the shoot if it works ok with a redhawk 45 cold.
    Go Cowboys go