Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Introducing Myself and My Ammunition Conversion Clip

Re: Introducing Myself and My Ammunition Conversion Clip

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    If that thing you're going to make can be marketed to the CASS bunch, they can use .45ACP brass to make 'powderpuff' loads for their .45 Colts and maybe some other pistols. Lots safer than the more expansive .45 Colt cases for that endeavor if they reload their own, and a lot easier to find than .45 Auto rim cases. And if, IF it will work/feed in lever actions they'll be wettin' their britches.

At any rate, if you can get it off the ground there will be/should be a following with some other groups, like the batscat crazy preppers. They tend to buy most anything! Nail two boards together in a peculiar way and market it as a prepper 'must have' and they'll be all over it like white on rice! Other more normal gun folk (can you use the words 'normal' and 'gun folk' in the same sentence without it looking like an oxymoron?) may see it as something that they can use for other reloading propositions, too. Don't know, but I do wish you well with it!
    Thanks, I figure with all those SA revolvers in 45 colt those guy's will surely eat these things up... Where can I find some boards?? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    Hell, make em glow in the dark!
    I like this option! The orange and salmon too! What the heck color is a shrimp anyways....

For color, pick something that looks as little like brass as possible, so probably bright royal blue. Won't matter what the light conditions are - these will lay on the ground screaming "I'M SPECIAL!"
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    For color, pick something that looks as little like brass as possible, so probably bright royal blue. Won't matter what the light conditions are - these will lay on the ground screaming "I'M SPECIAL!"
    Interesting perspective! I will make a note of that...Blue is my favorite color! Cobalt...wow!

Quote Originally Posted by gstmkr007 View Post
    Thanks, I figure with all those SA revolvers in 45 colt those guy's will surely eat these things up... Where can I find some boards?? LOL
    Cutoffs at construction sites, but ask first!
    Know the truth, for the truth will set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford View Post
    I just don't see a use for shooting .45 ACP in a .45 Colt.
    Co$t- - - - -I save my .45LC brass for 300 grain hard cast T-Rex loads. When I want to shoot mouse phart loads I swap cylinders and shoot .45 ACP.

A 7/16" diameter Tru-Arc snap ring fits a .45 ACP case nicely, but it won't quite let the case roll up to the firing position under the hammer of my Blackhawk. Since I built up the gun with virtually zero end shake when I rebarreled it, I have a feeling the snap ring would work just fine in guns with normal tolerances. I don't have another .45 LC revolver handy to compare with. This one has less than the thickness of a strand of hair between the back of the barrel and the front face of the cylinder with a round chambered under the hammer.

The taper of a 9MM case won't let it fit all the way into a .38 SPL cylinder, so scratch that idea, snap ring or not!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

These might work.....
    IMG_4578.jpg
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Co$t- - - - -I save my .45LC brass for 300 grain hard cast T-Rex loads. When I want to shoot mouse phart loads I swap cylinders and shoot .45 ACP.

A 7/16" diameter Tru-Arc snap ring fits a .45 ACP case nicely, but it won't quite let the case roll up to the firing position under the hammer of my Blackhawk. Since I built up the gun with virtually zero end shake when I rebarreled it, I have a feeling the snap ring would work just fine in guns with normal tolerances. I don't have another .45 LC revolver handy to compare with. This one has less than the thickness of a strand of hair between the back of the barrel and the front face of the cylinder with a round chambered under the hammer.

The taper of a 9MM case won't let it fit all the way into a .38 SPL cylinder, so scratch that idea, snap ring or not!
    Jerry
    I have been running feeler gauges in all the 45 colt revolvers since I started this project...there is a very close tolerance in there on everything I have checked so far, and I mean like .002 or two thou of an inch over on some and they will rub hard... they do need to be very precise! Also, mine can be used in a speed loader! When I do get these to market, I want them to be 20 bucks for 50 , at least thats the target price.
    Last edited by gstmkr007; 05-21-2017 at 02:07 AM.

That is absolutely your target market. Like I said, this one is growing on me.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Banned

Common sense just by looking at the groove on any ACP brass will shown you that adding any flat "spacer" like object in the groove will make the cartridge protrude too much to pass between the frame and cylinder. But of course someone always has to try and piss on another mans idea because its a good one that either they haven't thought of, or thought of and made work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Common sense just by looking at the groove on any ACP brass will shown you that adding any flat "spacer" like object in the groove will make the cartridge protrude too much to pass between the frame and cylinder. But of course someone always has to try and piss on another mans idea because its a good one that either they haven't thought of, or thought of and made work.
    I'm interested in all the options for one cut for clips, since this is just about what someone is working on and not available, all the other ideas presented here worth looking at.
    "The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event."

If you guy's were to draw a side view of each shell (45 acp and 45 lc ) in CAD as i did. Then place them on top of each other, you would see that the difference between the two in the seating area is just ten thousandths of an inch. That means that you would need to cut your E ring down to that thickness in order to get the ACP shell to seat on the rear face of the cylinder as a 45 LC does! I examined this first mathematically when considering the E ring concept and ruled it out for that very reason! I then took that information and designed a structurally sound version with 90 degree right angles and properly placed radiuses (or radii) to strengthen it. Like angle iron is considerably stronger when compared to a flat strap of the same thickness of steel. It also ads considerably to the radial strength as well. The math never lies !
    Last edited by gstmkr007; 05-21-2017 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    I'm interested in all the options for one cut for clips, since this is just about what someone is working on and not available, all the other ideas presented here worth looking at.
    They are well worth looking at! Clearly I did it, and it is a natural process that promotes development.

I think the e-clip idea is probably going to be easy for ACP in most moon clip guns. This was almost my first search hit: http://www.tacomascrew.com/s.nl?it=A...0%7C%20%241.83

The thickness for a 1917 spec moon clip looks to be .040" (these are .042"). The inside of a .45 ACP extractor groove is .40" (the inside of this these clips is .392". Probably only minimal modification required.

Note to the curious: Don't bother with Home Depot's site for "product dimensions". Best I can determine, they tell you the size of the package they come in.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Damn dude! Who pissed in your Post Toasties? I offered a possible viable alternative that might need a bit of refinement to work, and you come out like a screeching liberal with your hair on fire berating MY idea. Who made you Capitan Colonel Commandant of the Department of Ideas?

And if the rings are too thick, I have a home built surface grinder and 12"x12" magnetic base to hold the rings and take them down to thinner that onion skin typing paper (a paper of which you may have no familiarity) if necessary. I'll try some out later this summer on other cartridge case calibers. As to your summary rejection of my idea, you can blow it out your alimentary canal terminus!
    Know the truth, for the truth will set you free.

Cool Re: Introducing Myself and My Ammunition Conversion Clip

Well, I say we keep this on task...everyone here is right in their own way, and I would hate to see this get out of control. I was going to mention the surface grinder earlier but my intentions are to first get feedback on my idea, and secondly to add to the average shooters enjoyment. I know there are some way above average guy's on here...that's why I started here! Trying to run my ideas by neanderthals would not serve any purpose... unless it was for a fire starter!

Last edited by gstmkr007; 05-21-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Well, I say we keep this on task...everyone here is right in their own way, and I would hate to see this get out of control. I was going to mention the surface grinder earlier but my intentions are to first get feedback on my idea, and secondly to add to the average shooters enjoyment. I know there are some way above average guy's on here...that's why I started here! Trying to run my ideas by neanderthals would not serve any purpose... unless it was for a fire starter!

Let me just say, I like the idea. My initial thoughts drifted to the spring steel instead of the plastic but I have no idea what kind of polymer you have in mind.

I like the color other than Brass or Nickel idea someone floated. This would make it easier for CASS shooters or anyone at a range using your product to identify "Their Brass" even if their brass is Aluminum, mild Steel or Nickel plated.

I'm reminded of something from a ways back when offering something new. Design in safety first! While I see no problems with a "competent" shooter using your product, there's a lot of dummies out there. I'm sure they'll invent ways of doing something dumb with your invention and when their stupidity catches up with them. I'm certain they'll try and blame the inventor.

One last thing. While the math never lies, fundamental assumptions can be fatally flawed. A model is only as good as it's foundation.

Keep up the good work. I'd like to see this hit the market some day.

I have still been thinking about this issue and the post that talked about gun A and Gun B and or cylinders A&B for the same gun.

The A&B cylinders gun plus gun C that uses moonclips for .45 acp and shoots 45 cold in the same cylinder pretty much ends the need for me
    because I have plenty of clips.

But, if I could get such a product easily, I would and would try it out for the fun of it and if it worked in a DA/SA clip cut gun I'd be really ecstatic as it would end my bullet pulling problem.

Like I said the idea is growing on me. I'd toss a biggie with a few hundred of the in my shooting bag for my 610 just in case I forgot my clips (which has happened) at home.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Damn dude! Who pissed in your Post Toasties? I offered a possible viable alternative that might need a bit of refinement to work, and you come out like a screeching liberal with your hair on fire berating MY idea. Who made you Capitan Colonel Commandant of the Department of Ideas?

And if the rings are too thick, I have a home built surface grinder and 12"x12" magnetic base to hold the rings and take them down to thinner that onion skin typing paper (a paper of which you may have no familiarity) if necessary. I'll try some out later this summer on other cartridge case calibers. As to your summary rejection of my idea, you can blow it out your alimentary canal terminus!
    I actually wasn't referring to you or your idea. You at least were polite about your suggestion unlike some of the others that acted like asses when the man presented his design and idea. I hate when people treat others like they are stupid just because they are insecure or whatever their issue is. So my apologies to you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Like I said the idea is growing on me. I'd toss a biggie with a few hundred of the in my shooting bag for my 610 just in case I forgot my clips (which has happened) at home.
    I'd be [acronym missing here] with the 625, without clips, unlike Chief and his. I have read online that an aftermarket longer pin could be installed to solve that issue, though.
    Last edited by NN; 05-25-2017 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spk View Post
    Let me just say, I like the idea. My initial thoughts drifted to the spring steel instead of the plastic but I have no idea what kind of polymer you have in mind.

I like the color other than Brass or Nickel idea someone floated. This would make it easier for CASS shooters or anyone at a range using your product to identify "Their Brass" even if their brass is Aluminum, mild Steel or Nickel plated.

I'm reminded of something from a ways back when offering something new. Design in safety first! While I see no problems with a "competent" shooter using your product, there's a lot of dummies out there. I'm sure they'll invent ways of doing something dumb with your invention and when their stupidity catches up with them. I'm certain they'll try and blame the inventor.

One last thing. While the math never lies, fundamental assumptions can be fatally flawed. A model is only as good as it's foundation.

Keep up the good work. I'd like to see this hit the market some day.
    I initially intended to make them in spring steel then plastic! But decided to reverse the order because of the price difference for the average consumer... Plastic is cheaper to manufacture! If anyone out there knows of a company that can produce them from SS for a comparable price please contact me.

As for those dummies with a death wish...We will pray.....

I'd be [acronym missing here] with the 625, without clips, unlike Chief and his. I have read online that an aftermarket longer pin could be installed to solve that issue, though.
    With the 625 it depends on the chambering. You should be able to shoot .45acp without the clip if your 625 is actually chambered for the pistol cartridge because it head spaces on the care mouth. Extraction MIGHT Abe a problem but doable. Now, if it's chambered in .45 Colt you'd be . In the 610 there is no chance of shooting .40 S&W without clips (supposedly you can fire 10mm without the clips though I will confess I've never tried) so if someone made these doohickeys to allow me to do so I'd buy a few bags in a jiffy.

Is liked to try the .45ACP out of my 454 casul SRH. I think that would be a fun plinker
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    Is liked to try the .45ACP out of my 454 casul SRH. I think that would be a fun plinker
    I want a Ruger Alaskan in 454 in the worst way and it would be so much fun to shoot these out of it...I can't wait to get the first shipment in!

I actually wasn't referring to you or your idea. You at least were polite about your suggestion unlike some of the others that acted like asses when the man presented his design and idea. I hate when people treat others like they are stupid just because they are insecure or whatever their issue is. So my apologies to you Mike.
    I realized you were not aiming at me with your statement... and I am glad to see this post. Thank you for getting things back on track!

With the 625 it depends on the chambering. You should be able to shoot .45acp without the clip if your 625 is actually chambered for the pistol cartridge because it head spaces on the care mouth. .
    In theory your correct; but, sadly some newer ones with frame mounted pins and slightly deeper chambers don't, without after market firing pin replacement.

I had researched this issue to see if I had a defect and do not and would not have mentioned it if I had not done so, anybody can google this issue and find confirmation of such.

S&W manuals say to always use moonclips so that is the end of it as far as they are concerned and it must be chambered for .45 acp since 45 Colt doesn't fit, it is a -8.

I sometimes shoot 10mm in a 610 without clips when I need just one or two specific rnds for a one time shot, no problems so far.