Thread: Tulsa LEO Found Not Guilty Of 2016 Shooting Death

Tulsa LEO Found Not Guilty Of 2016 Shooting Death

http://kfor.com/2017/05/17/jury-find...med-black-man/

TULSA, Okla. – Betty Shelby, the Tulsa police officer who fatally shot an unarmed black man last year, was found not guilty Wednesday of first-degree manslaughter.

The jury deliberated for more than nine hours.

In September 2016, Shelby shot Terrence Crutcher next to his SUV on an Oklahoma road.

Prosecutors said in arrest filings that Shelby “reacted unreasonably by escalating the situation” into a fatal encounter.

The incident began when a witness called 911, and said a man was running away from a vehicle found abandoned in the middle of the road.

According to the witness, the man, Crutcher, kept saying the vehicle was going to blow up.

Shelby said once on scene, she cleared the vehicle and did not see anyone inside.

As she turned back to her patrol car, she said she saw Crutcher walking towards her.

She says Crutcher did not obey her commands when she told him to “show me your hands.”

She also testified that Crutcher put his hands on the vehicle and moved to reach into the vehicle.

That’s when Shelby fired her weapon at Crutcher, and the officer next to her, Officer Tyler Turnbough, tased him.

An autopsy revealed PCP was found in Crutcher’s system at the time of the shooting.
    I am glad I didn't have to sit on this jury. I believe a LEO has the right to protect their own safety but honestly I think she just got scared. She had other larger males LEOs with her and one even tasted the guy right as she fired. I don't know what was going through her mind but I believe she did fear for her (and other LEO's) safety so she fired. As to manslaughter ... I don't know ... if there was only something people stopped by LEOs could do to keep from being shot? FOLLOW ORDERS A LEO GIVES MAYBE???

Anyway small protest have popped up already. Wonder how long before the buses roll into Tulsa?
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

Re: Tulsa LEO Found Not Guilty Of 2016 Shooting Death

Yep, I was surprised she wasn't convicted of something. They said US Dept of Justice will be conducting their own Civil Rights investigation.........he was on PCP, but damn she didn't know that, although they do go berserk and get superhuman strength hopped up on that stuff.

I guess this is a case where "She felt threatened............and thought he was going for a gun............" worked for her because she was a cop...........me/civilians ............would have been hung out to dry.

Said 100 protesters last night, but nothing big or rioting..............time will tell.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Not condemning her and I wasn't there, but it didn't seem like a "Clean Shoot" to me from what I have seen and read. Hindsight is 20/20.........................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Unless Tulsa resembles Austin Texas or one of the other islands of liberalism in a basically conservative area, I doubt if the rioters and undocumented shoppers will show up- - - -too much chance of getting a terminal case of lead poisoning from store owners who take exception to their businesses being looted and burned!

Several years ago my Mother had a young lady working in her office who had been a rookie Nashville cop who was involved in a shooting situation. An armed robbery of a convenience store had gone wrong, 911 was called, and the perp had taken several hostages. The BG escaped out a back door, and as the hostages ran out the front, the panicked rookie dropped four of them like ducks in a shooting gallery. Unfortunately for them, she was a pretty good shot. I don't think anybody died, but the lawsuits were very expensive and the woman lost her job.
    Jerry
    Last edited by Teach; 05-18-2017 at 05:41 PM.
    The masochist says "HIT ME! The sadist says "NO!"
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

Supposedly the officer's own dashcam showed that the guys hands were up the whole time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    I would drop trou too, and because I am a caring person I would've given that young man a hug.

I don't know many of the facts, of course, but I would have expected some sort of negligent homicide conviction, with probation, and dismissal from the police force. Being stupid can get you killed, and there's not much to be done about that, but shooting anybody because of panic is a loss of control that police forces can't tolerate.

From what bits of dash-cam videos they've shown when it first happened, I am rather surprised she didn't get convicted of "something"

MANY years ago, I debated if I wanted to go into EMS or law enforcement. I am so VERY glad, in the current environment, that I chose EMS
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    From what bits of dash-cam videos they've shown when it first happened, I am rather surprised she didn't get convicted of "something"

MANY years ago, I debated if I wanted to go into EMS or law enforcement. I am so VERY glad, in the current environment, that I chose EMS
    It's also a plus that since you are there to help people that they won't shoot at you for no reason. Not to say it can't happen, because firefighters get shot all the time, but the chances are a lot less.
    I DISLIKED COMMUNISTS BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAMES TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES

Quote Originally Posted by NCFUBAR View Post
    if there was only something people stopped by LEOs could do to keep from being shot? FOLLOW ORDERS A LEO GIVES MAYBE???
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Chris Rock - How not to get your a** kicked by the police!

Too funny! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where is Gene's input?