Thread: One pretty smart cat....

One pretty smart cat....

We have 2 cats, Lucky, the indoor princess and Jorge (george) the super affectionate outdoor stray that adopted us earlier this year.

We've had a problem recently with raccoons raiding his food bowl on the front porch and I have a "live trap" set out close to it baited with corn (to keep Jorge out of it).

Just a few minutes ago, wife heard the feeder getting turned over. I grab my CZ and head out and 2 full grown raccoons bail off the porch in opposite directions. The one that went in the safer direction to shoot caught 1 CCI Subsonic HP in his body from 15-20 yards away, and the other got out of sight unscathed.

While all this was going on, Jorge was laying on the rail watching them. He and both coons were about the same size, and he was outnumbered 2 to 1.

While I was sweeping up the spilled cat food, Jorge heads to the top of the ramp, bows up and tears off down the ramp. When I catch sight of him again, he's hot on the tail of the un-shot 'coon and chases it to the wood line

So, 2 on 1, he says, "the heck with it" and watches from the rail, but with it a 1 on 1, he's ready to rumble.

Here he is wanting some attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

Re: One pretty smart cat....

Since Jorge is a tomcat, a one on one with a coon of the same size is doable. 2 on 1 is a bit much.
    He'd make a good inside cat if Lucky would get over her inability to share space.
    Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: "Half of writing history is hiding the truth."
    “He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.” Elbert Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    He'd make a good inside cat if Lucky would get over her inability to share space.
    Yes he would, but she won't

This isn't a picture of Jorge, but it's sort of the look he had when he decided to adopt us as his humans

One more thing as evidence to his intelligence....

Youngest and his brood came up to visit this past Saturday for both his B'day and Mother's day. Jorge enjoyed the affection from the 4 kids, HOWEVER, when the two year old went to "hug" him and ended up laying on him, Jorge "attacked" to defend himself. He attacked enough to scare the grandson (swatted and "bit" his head) BUT even with all his teeth and sharp claws, didn't draw the first drop of blood. As a matter of fact, once grandson calmed down, there was not the slightest mark on him.

If he'd seriously "attacked" he could have torn the grandson up, and things wouldn't have gone well for Jorge once I'd heard of it.
    His restraint in defending himself while not hurting the grandson raises his "stock" even more in my book.
    Last edited by knitepoet; 05-19-2017 at 04:05 AM.

I've been having an on-going war with the Viet Coons, trying to keep then out of the cats food!! Marshmallows are great bait for the live trap, they love sweet stuff! I have a few other methods, PM me if you're interested! Those little Burka wearing jihadist are a scourge! If there's two, there's fifteen!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    I've been having an on-going war with the Viet Coons,
    Dang, Vietnamese settled in yer area too?

Never will forget driving by a house near Fort Sill where they were squatting in the yard munching down on bugs.........guy told me in one rent house they pulled up the floor planks and were defecating on the ground below............
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Cat VS Trash Panda. The saga continues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

I heard some noise the other night and went out front to see what it was. Neighbor lady said a Racoon was on my porch and ran off when I opened the door. The noise I heard was my 17+ pound black cat Teddy, he was bumping into the bay windows trying to out get after it. I don't think he wants to tangle with Rocky Racoon. I've seen them in my backyard before. They climb over the fence like it had stairs and usually run off when they see me.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Growing up we had a big old buck coon that was getting into the garbage cans and throwing trash to the four winds plus our stupid Labs "helped" even more. These were the old metal galvanized type with handle on the side and another on the lid. We tried a bunch of things from running the electric horse fence wire to even a bungee cord from one side handle to the other thru the lid handle but that little bastard would still get it off and rip into the bags. I was tired of cleaning it up every morning so I took an extension cord and stripped the female end and connected one lead to the bottom of the can and the other on top of the rubber bungee cord so the circuit was not complete ... and waited. Just after the national news came on, 11:30pm eastern time, the lights flickered and I ran outside to find that old boy on his side with a slight trace of smoke still visible. I bragged at school the next day and one of my teachers (I think my science teacher) told me take that was illegal to do that because of it be hazardous to everything but applauded my ingenuity. My dad wasn't to happy because it messed up his extension cord and could have kill one of the dogs so we just built a big container with a lid we sat the cans in so the coons couldn't get to them anymore.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    I've been having an on-going war with the Viet Coons, trying to keep then out of the cats food!! Marshmallows are great bait for the live trap, they love sweet stuff! I have a few other methods, PM me if you're interested! Those little Burka wearing jihadist are a scourge! If there's two, there's fifteen!
    I hadn't thought about marshmallows, THANK YOU! Another forum member had suggested apples, the "deer corn" ain't cutting it. When/if I get out again today, I might just have to pick up a bag or 2 and see if they do any better.

Concerning the number... oh, I know. A couple of years ago I planted some of the heirloom corn seeds that Woodsrunner had given me, the little masked bastages would shuck the ears, still on the stalk. I went down there one night and put lead in 5 of them. They eased up on the corn for the rest of the season.

Just about any sweet fruit will get the attention of a trash panda. I've also used a 'sour mash' from chikkin scratch feed to attract them. Easier to shoot them when they're falling down drunk! Grapes especially seem to attract them, as well as bananas, ripe persimmons, pawpaws, pears, and peaches, the more overripe the better. If no tame critters are about, they go for chikkin wing tips, bait shrimp, and seem especially fond of cheese.
    Never tried marshmallows; that wasn't something that was in the house when I was growing up, except at Thanksgiving and Christmas on top of the candied sweet taters!
    Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: "Half of writing history is hiding the truth."
    “He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.” Elbert Hubbard

Trash pandas love little chocolate donuts too. My buddy had a couple baby's he had removed from a house, and when I'd show up I would give them some old doughnuts I had in the truck. They QUICKLY learned who I was, and would go INSANE when they saw me walk up to the cage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

My old cat Suzy Q was smart. The 3 we have now? Not so much.... Ruger likes to watch ice melt. Literally. If you drop a piece of ice on the tile, she hears it and will run in, sit down, and watch it melt to water.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

I don't hate cats, meaning that I don't mistreat them. But I can't stand them in the house - don't want them rubbing up on me and don't like their haughty behavior. I won't let Mrs. Bisley feed the strays, but if an old tomcat wants to hang around while he's healing up from the tomcat wars, I don't bother him.

I have to admit that I never knew that a tomcat would challenge a mature coon. I can certainly respect that. I don't bother the coons, because they haven't caused me any problems, since I got Mrs. Bisley to quit putting food out for stray cats. I could easily bag a half dozen of them, if I wanted, but don't see the need.