Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road Kills....You Never Know What You'll See

Re: Road Kills....You Never Know What You'll See

There's no good way to hit a cow/bull. If they're facing you or you hit the 'north end of a southbound' the hind legs will fold up and the whole carcass tends to enter the passenger compartment through the windshield. Broadside one and the roof gets mashed in on top of the occupants. Same for horses and mules. I'd way rather hit a big ol' hog broadside; at least when the truck launches Dukes of Hazzard style I can give a big ol' YEEEEEE HAWWWW! yell as I prepare for touchdown!

Regarding the muskrat problem I have, I'm glad the local Farmer's Co-op keeps a good supply of 'gopher bombs' in stock. Light one, shove it up in the hole, and use a military surplus entrenching shovel to stop up the entrance. At least that way they can enrich the soil a bit.
    Know the truth, for the truth will set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk18 View Post
    In this part of the world, a road kill fox is very unusual. If you do see one, it's usually in August and accompanied by a rabies outbreak.
    I grew up hearing the rabies admonitions about any fox or coyote that showed himself on a sunny day. I do believe this is a good rule of thumb, to be on the safe side.

However, a few years ago, I ran across an exception. A red fox developed a taste for figs, and would often slip out in the middle of the day to have a couple of figs off our tree. We only ever saw him out the window - he never showed himself if people or dogs were outside. But, I know he didn't have rabies because we saw him off and on for about 3 years.

bis--- Red Fox very quickly adapt themselves to human contact, unlike a Grey which tends to have a stand-offish attitude with humans. It isn't uncommon at all for a Red Fox to den in someone's yard and raise a litter of pups every year. You can't pet the pups, naturally, because they are still wild animals, but Reds will adapt to close human contact and carry on their normal development patterns.

In running fox with dogs (I grew up reared by a Grandfather who did this as a way of life) a Red Fox will run for 8-10-12 miles or more in a large circle, while a Grey will usually stay within 300-500 square acres especially around swampy, creek-bottom land. I have honestly seen Red Fox in front of dogs, (Walkers, Trigs and sometimes Julys) that have run for hours, WALKING and not running, and the dogs following the scent also WALKING and not running to catch up with the fox! Back when I was a young kid, before I discovered GIRLS and what was available there, I fox hunted every Friday and Saturday night with my Grandpa and his Buddies--! It shaped my life and put me in the forestry/wildlife management profession along with my Navy Career which is totally unrelated but fulfilling!

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBobCo View Post
    Colorado is still an open range state. It's pretty rare that I see cows on paved roads, but there's one particular stretch of graveled county road where you better keep an eye peeled for cattle. The "rancher" who owns the adjacent property is not much on fence maintenance, and his cows are often found on the road. I dang near hit one one early morning when it was still dark. Linefinder and I were going goat chasing when the incident occurred. Later that morning, I mentioned it to the son of the rancher we were hunting on. He just sort of shrugged it off, saying that was just the way that particular rancher was.

If I had one of his damn cows, I would have been on the wrong side of the law and at fault.
    I know We've talked about this but I still can't wrap my head around it. I hit YOUR COW, that YOU let run into the road and IM responsible for it? It would literally take me getting arrested to pay for someone else's mistake.
    People who say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    I know We've talked about this but I still can't wrap my head around it. I hit YOUR COW, that YOU let run into the road and IM responsible for it? It would literally take me getting arrested to pay for someone else's mistake.
    Kind of fits in with some of the other rules out there. There's places that will take you to court for catching rainwater in a barrel. And if you dig a pond they'll try, convict, and throw you in jail for a good spell of years.
    Know the truth, for the truth will set you free.

These laws go back to when the big ranchers owned politicians. Political ownership has changed, but the laws remain.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

I never claimed it was right, but it's the way it is.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsrunner View Post
    bis--- Red Fox very quickly adapt themselves to human contact, unlike a Grey which tends to have a stand-offish attitude with humans. It isn't uncommon at all for a Red Fox to den in someone's yard and raise a litter of pups every year. You can't pet the pups, naturally, because they are still wild animals, but Reds will adapt to close human contact and carry on their normal development patterns.
    Funny this topic came up at this time. We've had a number of red foxes in the neighborhood over the years. In the past several, though, I haven't seen any. Until yesterday, that is.

The wife and I were working in the garage yesterday afternoon when I spotted a beautiful red fox across the street. We live inside the city limits, but in a sparsely populated area with a lot of open space. Makes for lots of cotton tails and field mice. We even have some jack rabbits as well, and there was a small prairie dog town close by at one time. Throw in all of the blue quail, mourning dove, Eurasion collared dove and various song birds, and there's no shortage of food for predators/scavengers.

A few years ago, there was a lone coyote that seemed to think he owned the place, I even saw him trotting down one of the local roads in the middle of the day. I never heard any news of him causing a problem, though.

Now, did I mention the bears and lions that have been spotted close by???
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliFFL View Post
    Years ago, I was visiting Tucson AZ during monsoon season. After a 10 minute downpour, I got in the car to run to the store or something. Adjacent to the neighborhood is a dry wash. The rain had temporarily flooded the wash and shallow water covered the road. It is dark, btw. I slowed to cross the water and I hear popping sounds. I open the car door to look at what is causing the sound. The ground is crawling with tarantulas.

I'm not arachnophobic at all, but that was some creepy shite .
    Where's Delbert McClintock when ya need him? Ha!

Last edited by 6EQUJ5 - WOW!; 05-25-2017 at 05:01 PM.