Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Kills....You Never Know What You'll See

Road Kills....You Never Know What You'll See

....in my rural area! Take my Grand Daughter to school in the mornings, and this morning, all within a couple of miles of our place was a 10+ foot 'gator, a mature Red Fox, an armadillo and a possum. Little unusual to see a road kill 'gator, but this is the breeding season and 'gators move around during this time.
    Bet whoever ran over it wondered what in hell he hit!

Re: Road Kills....You Never Know What You'll See

When I was a boy, a freind of my Dads was from Florida. I remember him telling me that the crab migration would cover whole roads, beaches, fields, everything. I would imagine that type of road kill could get to be over whelming.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

It was just on the news, a lady hit a 9 foot gator driving across the alley. Her car went airborn and flipped several times. Wildlife is great but we gotta be careful
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Back before Florida got 'civilized' it wasn't unusual to see a gator or three on the very lightly blacktop backroads at night. The blacktop was warm after dark so I guess the gators were warming up on it. Worst wrecks I've ever seen from roadkills were from cows, horses, hogs, bears, and deer, in that order. Big hogs tend to launch the vehicle, and vehicles aren't made to be launched like that.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

In this part of the world, a road kill fox is very unusual. If you do see one, it's usually in August and accompanied by a rabies outbreak.

Hawk

My Dad was a brakeman for a time in old steam engines on the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad, and I remember his saying that the animal they most feared hitting on the tracks was a BIG HOG! He said these tended to get under the "cow-catcher" on the front of the engine and r-o-l-e under the engine causing it to derail.

I saw a young gator on the road this last weekend about 3-4 ft long. Sure don't see many on roads like before.

In fact, near Port Charlotte woman hit a 9 ft gator on I-75 and it flipped her car the other day. Here is a pic. One stupid TV news channel blurred out the gators head in their pic so not to upset viewers. I reckon they don't watch Swamp People............

http://www.tampabay.com/news/environ...ing-me/2324373
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Years ago, I was visiting Tucson AZ during monsoon season. After a 10 minute downpour, I got in the car to run to the store or something. Adjacent to the neighborhood is a dry wash. The rain had temporarily flooded the wash and shallow water covered the road. It is dark, btw. I slowed to cross the water and I hear popping sounds. I open the car door to look at what is causing the sound. The ground is crawling with tarantulas.

I'm not arachnophobic at all, but that was some creepy shite .
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Not a road kill, but something I saw from the road. Back awhile ago, I was driving up to see my folks. At Banks Center, where I 85 crosses 441, they were grading and had taken all the top-soil off and left the red subsoil.

Next to the road, there were two black bulls squaring off to fight...pawing, snorting, just like on a film. Where they came from, I'll never know. The black of the bulls against the red soil is something I'll never forget. Very dramatic.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Years ago we used to go on Sunday late afternoon drives around Fort Sill on hot summer days. You know stop and get the kids a Slurpie drink, AC wasn't working in my 69 Buick so windows were down. HOT ..........clump clump clump hundreds of Tarantellas on the boundary road everywhere.......... sounded about like running over frogs, bubble wrap or something. Cheap entertainment.

I never knew there were so many around. Never saw many on main post. I'd hate to be on a bicycle and have one run up my leg or something.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

Odd urban Miami Roadkill...

Iguanas
    Opposums
    Racoons
    Snakes
    Large lizards - Tegu, Nile Monitors
    Peacocks
    Gators
    Muscovy ducks

To name a few.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

In the Orlando area it seems like every day on the news they report road kills, unfortunatly most are all hit and runs.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Another gator accident................dang he was on a motorcycle, not good.

Motorcyclist airlifted to hospital after collision with 10-foot gator

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-...55686117-story

"WIMAUMA (FOX 13) - A motorcyclist is in the hospital with serious injuries after colliding with a massive alligator on a Wimauma road early Friday morning, the second such crash in Florida this week.

Calun Nelson, 27, was riding his Suzuki motorcycle westbound on State Road 674 just before 12:30 a.m. when an alligator crossed the road right in front of him. Nelson collided with the 10-foot, 9-inch gator and the impact threw him from the motorcycle.

Nelson was airlifted to the hospital in serious condition, but he has since been updated to good condition. He is expected to be OK.

A trapper removed the alligator from the roadway. The alligator was "listed in critical condition," an FHP spokesman offered, but later "expired from injuries sustained during the crash."

Piss on that overgrown Lizard , who cares about its condition.........

I once saw on Hwy 54 west of Land O Lakes the south end of a northbound deer on the right side, some 18 wheeler skid marks with some yuck in there, then the north end on the left side of the hwy. Might've been an 8 pointer too IIRC.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.

I got called out with the Class III wrecker one night to tow the big rig that tangled with a deer at about 60 MPH. The deer rolled up under the full length of the tractor and trailer, and took out enough air lines and control valves to lock the brakes down in the middle of Highway 64- - - -back when it was only 2 lanes! That was a messy hookup job because I had to crawl under the thing and manually release the spring brakes so the wheels could roll. 65 feet of deer burger is a stinky, drippy mess!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    Just an old fart making the PC Patrol earn their pay!

Had to go to Grand Rapids today...unusual amount of roadkill...besides the usual squirrels,coons.possums and unidentifiable furry things, we counted 4 porcupines, 3 coyotes and 16 deer...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Well, at least this thread is minus recipes.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by early View Post
    Well, at least this thread is minus recipes.
    Watch out for what you bring up here, I'm sure there is somebody with a couple written down. 18 Wheelers probably make great meat tenderizers.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

I heard this from a game warden and it has the ring of truth. Two couples of UGA students hit a deer in a rural part of my county. It was knocked unconscious and the students decided to rush it to the vet. They loaded it in their car and drove a short distance until the deer awoke and raised hell inside.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    I heard this from a game warden and it has the ring of truth. Two couples of UGA students hit a deer in a rural part of my county. It was knocked unconscious and the students decided to rush it to the vet. They loaded it in their car and drove a short distance until the deer awoke and raised hell inside.

I've heard a similar story locally and elsewhere. I'm sure there is at least one instance of this happening somewhere and i won't question any particular story, but I'm not buying in to any one particular story either. One of the radio shows (Bob and Tom maybe? ) has done an 'interview' and played the '911 tapes' or some such with somebody who supposedly did this, but I'm guessing that was a stunt with no basis in reality.

I did view the aftermath of a deer hit that went badly for the lady involved. The deer actually hit the side of the car the lady was driving and entered through the driver's window. I never found out if she had the window down or if it broke in the collision, but she received an ass stomping of biblical proportions. This happened right in town (Janesville, WI) and was right about the time Craig high school let out for the day. Quite a few kids were there as well, with a bunch of girls gathered around the deer laying on the terrace and crying... nobody was crying for the lady being attended to by paramedics, though. In their defense, the lady was virtually guaranteed a full recovery, while the deer was obviously going to be euthanized.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin

Had a logging crew cutting a tract of timber and ran across a spotted fawn that somehow one of the woods workers was able to corner and knock in the head with a piece of wood. He thought he had killed it and being right at quitting time in the afternoon simply threw the fawn up in back of the pick-up labor truck he was driving. They made it all the way from the woods, 12-15 miles, into downtown Bainbridge, Georgia when all of a sudden the fawn stood up and jumped/fell out of the pick-up just about on the courthouse square! The crew bailed out of the truck, ran the fawn down, cut its throat, loaded it back up and took off! This was in late summer, not during hunting season----thousand wonders they weren't caught!

Muskrat run over in the road less than a mile from my place this morning---saw it taking my Grandaughter to school. Don't see these very often!

Quote Originally Posted by woodsrunner View Post

Muskrat run over in the road less than a mile from my place this morning---saw it taking my Grandaughter to school. Don't see these very often!
    Muskrats.......................I HATE 'EM! They undermine the creek banks and the banks of the pond and make 'land mines' for the tractor. I got rid of the danged beavers, but the muskrats are like flies; they just keep showing up. My trapper friend quit trapping a couple years ago and there's been a muskrat population explosion. Coyotes keep the groundhog population in check pretty good; don't see them very often at all now.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

It's all Toni Tenille's fault!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjqeNoi6EmM

Jerry

I didn't hit it but came very close to nailing a huge cow in west Alabama. About 16-18 years ago I was driving to my grandparents house. Was in my dads SUV and locked up the tires and came about 10 feet from it. Truck behind me went off the road. Was the largest animal I've ever seen loose on the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    Waah, waah... GET ON IT, DUDE.

I'll be in B'ham tomorrow morning about 9:00 AM, looking at an Enterprise rental car at their airport maintenance facility with a missing oil pan plug. It seems Firestone occasionally forgets to tighten a plug or a filter after an oil change, and I get to look at the aftermath and communicate with the insurance adjusters who get to pay for a new engine! That will make three visits to that general area in the past two weeks!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    I'll be in B'ham tomorrow morning about 9:00 AM, looking at an Enterprise rental car at their airport maintenance facility with a missing oil pan plug. It seems Firestone occasionally forgets to tighten a plug or a filter after an oil change, and I get to look at the aftermath and communicate with the insurance adjusters who get to pay for a new engine! That will make three visits to that general area in the past two weeks!
    Jerry
    Let me know next time you're down here and lunch is on me. I'll be dealing with a/c pros tomorrow morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    Waah, waah... GET ON IT, DUDE.

"Bham", you're far too young to have experienced this, but back before about the end of WWII, maybe 1946 or so, here in the Deep South cattle had free range all over the country. I think it was about '46 or '47 that the "No Fence Laws" were passed requiring stock owners to keep their cattle and hogs fenced up and off of highways and roads. Before that the animals had free run of the roads, and if you hit one with your vehicle you paid the owner for it! Wintertime nights were especially bad and dangerous, because cattle would bunch up and bed down on the highways which were warm from the previous days' sun. The changes I've seen in my lifetime---

Mostly Possums, snakes, Coons, and Armadillos here. The occasional deer.
    A while back, coming from Philadelphia to Tampa, I must have seen over 25-30
    deer on I-95 and 301. I stopped counting in Virginia. If I'd known there were
    going to be so many more, I'd have kept a precise count.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsrunner View Post
    "Bham", you're far too young to have experienced this, but back before about the end of WWII, maybe 1946 or so, here in the Deep South cattle had free range all over the country. I think it was about '46 or '47 that the "No Fence Laws" were passed requiring stock owners to keep their cattle and hogs fenced up and off of highways and roads. Before that the animals had free run of the roads, and if you hit one with your vehicle you paid the owner for it! Wintertime nights were especially bad and dangerous, because cattle would bunch up and bed down on the highways which were warm from the previous days' sun. The changes I've seen in my lifetime---
    Colorado is still an open range state. It's pretty rare that I see cows on paved roads, but there's one particular stretch of graveled county road where you better keep an eye peeled for cattle. The "rancher" who owns the adjacent property is not much on fence maintenance, and his cows are often found on the road. I dang near hit one one early morning when it was still dark. Linefinder and I were going goat chasing when the incident occurred. Later that morning, I mentioned it to the son of the rancher we were hunting on. He just sort of shrugged it off, saying that was just the way that particular rancher was.

If I had one of his damn cows, I would have been on the wrong side of the law and at fault.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.