Thread: Truck troubles

Truck troubles

Went to a gun club meeting the other night, one of the members told me "your truck is leaking coolant, we checked it out and the water pump has said adios, got home without overheating, told Jen i have to change the pump, she says take it to your friend and let him do it, thats not gonna happen, next morning I pull the pump, get a new one from NAPA, and spend the rest of the day trying to clean the old gasket off the mating surface, thats the original pump with over 200,000 miles and 20 years old. The gasket was welded on the cam cover, this morning I replaced the pump put it all back together and its good for another 200,000 miles.

After i got the old pump out, the shaft and impeller had about 1/16" end and side play. I took me about 8 hours to change the pump, that includes many smoke, coffee breaks, and just sitting on my butt. I dont think thats to bad for an old fart.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Re: Truck troubles

Doesn't sound like it was much trouble at all for a guy that knows engines. Some of us would have opted for taking to that friend.
    I found out a long time ago it is much cheaper to have someone fix a car problem than have them fix the car problem after I attempted to fix it.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Fantastic! Now it's roadworthy and you can make the trip to Jerrys next weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Fantastic! Now it's roadworthy and you can make the trip to Jerrys next weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Those gaskets seem to grow into the mating surface after a while. And the sealant they use is pretty tenacious at sticking. You saved some money, and got the problem fixed, so it doesn't make any difference how long you took to do it. At least it wasn't one of those late 1970's model cars that looked like an explosion in an automobile water hose factory!
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Change the belts while you're in there...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Cant make it, we have a large family get together Memorial Day

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Those gaskets seem to grow into the mating surface after a while. And the sealant they use is pretty tenacious at sticking. !
    One trick I learned long ago, instead of using a hi-speed pad which can leave an uneven mating surface, plain old gel type paint stripper, takes a little longer, not for a production shop, but I have nothing but time, and it has no affect on aluminum or steel.

JAY

Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    Change the belts while you're in there...
    Serpentine belt is fine as are hoses, thermostat, etc. They were all new about 12,000 miles ago.

JAY

Know how you feel. Before you even start you are dreading taking the first bolt out, but when you finish tightening the last bolt you get a feeling of accomplishment that you didn't f anything up!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

I probably had about a dozen water pump replacing adventures, prior to about 1985, when I could finally afford to pay someone else to work on my vehicles. Changing a water pump is not rocket science, but it's definitely a significant chore for whoever does it. Within a couple of years of paying my first mechanic bill, I got to the point that I wouldn't even change the oil, myself.

I salute you, sir, for having the tenacity to do it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywapti View Post
    Went to a gun club meeting the other night, one of the members told me "your truck is leaking coolant, we checked it out and the water pump has said adios, got home without overheating, told Jen i have to change the pump, she says take it to your friend and let him do it, thats not gonna happen, next morning I pull the pump, get a new one from NAPA, and spend the rest of the day trying to clean the old gasket off the mating surface, thats the original pump with over 200,000 miles and 20 years old. The gasket was welded on the cam cover, this morning I replaced the pump put it all back together and its good for another 200,000 miles.

After i got the old pump out, the shaft and impeller had about 1/16" end and side play. I took me about 8 hours to change the pump, that includes many smoke, coffee breaks, and just sitting on my butt. I dont think thats to bad for an old fart.

JAY
    I'd like to know what type of truck you have? Because my old Chevy's been chowing it's
    way thru a WP every 24K miles, ever since it was new. I keep the tools for the job in the
    back of the truck. Used to take hours, now I can literally do it in minutes. But 200K between
    WP changes? Schuuu-weeeet!

Just had to have my timing belt changed and did the water pump too ( my mechanic, not me... ) On my model year Tundra it's an all day job if you know what you are doing.

The water pump had a calcified growth on it, that if it wasn't changed when I did at 85,000 miles it would have told me about it soon.

Jay, you still have it!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Cant make it, we have a large family get together Memorial Day
    Just tell them you have to make a quick run to the store, for some smokes..........they'll never miss you.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270

Quote Originally Posted by Danoobie View Post
    I'd like to know what type of truck you have? Because my old Chevy's been chowing it's
    way thru a WP every 24K miles, ever since it was new. I keep the tools for the job in the
    back of the truck. Used to take hours, now I can literally do it in minutes. But 200K between
    I drive a 98 Dodge 1500 PU, 360 (5.9L) engine, although on occasion I have bought other makes, my everyday car/truck has always been Mopar since i bought my first new car, a 1957 Chrysker 300C.

If your replacing WPs every 24,000 something is definitely wrong, not knowing anything about you (skills) or your car/truck, I can only assume you know what your doing, so where are you getting your pumps, new or rebuilt, I personally always use new parts. Maybe some of the guys here that are more familiar with Chevys can help you out.

JAY

I use either new OE or performance pumps like edelbrock and others. Absolutely NO rebuilts.

24k between water pump changes? That's unheard of on a vehicle with properly aligned pulleys, and that's where I would look. I am betting your pulley allignment is off.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

my old Chevy's been chowing it's
    way thru a WP every 24K miles, ever since it was new.
    Chevy- - - - -keeping mechanics from starving to death for decades! There's a good reason the Chevy dealer gives a customer a case of gonorrhea with every new Chevy- - - - -so he always has something that runs!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    Just an old fart making the PC Patrol earn their pay!

Jay did Dodge change the front dressing on the 360 when they switched to a serpentine belt?

On my '91 250 with V-belts to change the water pump I had to take almost everything off. The water pump had something like seven or eight bolts holding it on and five or six of them held something else on. Taking the fan off was the easiest part.

I think I was about six hours over two evenings getting mine done.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Boy Deuce View Post
    Jay did Dodge change the front dressing on the 360 when they switched to a serpentine belt?

On my '91 250 with V-belts to change the water pump I had to take almost everything off. The water pump had something like seven or eight bolts holding it on and five or six of them held something else on. Taking the fan off was the easiest part.

I think I was about six hours over two evenings getting mine done.
    Yeah totally different, and a lot easier, to change the WP all i had to remove was the fan and shroud, they had to come off together which was a pain because i didnt have a 36mm thin wrench, i tried to remove them separately but theres not enough clearance between the lower fan blades and the shroud, once off i cut about 1" off the lower end of the shroud and put them back separately which made the job much easier. Once the fan and shroud are off its wide open. The worst job which i didnt have to do is replace the by-pass hose from the pump to the intake manifold, for that you have to pull the casting (bracket) that holds the alternator and AC compressor.

JAY

Quote Originally Posted by ericcrosby View Post
    Hello everyone, I am new to the forum.
    Reported for spam in another post.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

If your replacing WPs every 24,000 something is definitely wrong, not knowing anything about you (skills) or your car/truck, I can only assume you know what your doing, so where are you getting your pumps, new or rebuilt, I personally always use new parts. Maybe some of the guys here that are more familiar with Chevys can help you out.
    The original, from the factory quit at 24K. The vehicle was under warranty, got the NEW replacement free
    from the dealer, under warranty. It quit at 48K. Used a new Borg- Warner pump at 72K, and replaced the
    massively heavy OE fan-clutch with a more streamlined unit, as well as the tensioner and belt. Ever since,
    been trying different new pump brands. Fortunately this has been the only undependable issue with the truck.
    It's a easier change
    out than the old 350s, because they offset the pump, on the Vortecs, so it's not buried under all the brackets, PS,
    A/C, etc.

I have to wonder how you would track down this "pulley alignment" issue, the dealership surely missed it. It would seem
    a pulley misalignment situation would chew up belts. The same belt runs for 5 or six pumps.

I have to wonder how you would track down this "pulley alignment" issue, the dealership surely missed it. It would seem
    a pulley misalignment situation would chew up belts. The same belt runs for 5 or six pumps.
    Simply look at the belts from the side with the engine running, you'll be able to see any misalignment and bent or wobbling pulleys.

I looked up "chevy water pump problems" , I didnt know your year or model, I suggest you do the same, there's a lot of posts about it.

JAY

That sounds like a great and simple solution, but the misalignment, if there is any,
    isn't visible, I've watched it in daylight, with shop lights, with strobes, and if there's
    a distortion, bent or wobbling pulley, it's too small for the naked eye to see.

One of the problems was the OE gaskets and mating surfaces with the V8
    Vortecs didn't seal properly, on many of their units. I've done the homework,
    and the math. I'd rather have a WP go at a predictable interval, than the
    28 defects in less that 16 months I had on my new ford f-150. That truck
    was falling apart out from under me, and left me stranded on many
    occasions. Mostly due to chintzy, poorly designed OE parts.

The Chevy, despite the WP issues, has run like a champ, and it never left me stuck.
    The WP issue is the proverbial "devil I know".
    Last edited by Danoobie; 05-20-2017 at 07:24 PM.

5.7 or 5.3 engine?
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.

2004 -6.0 Vortec. IIRC, there were 5.3s & 4.8s in the V8 Vortec family.

5.7L is just another way of saying 350.
    Last edited by Danoobie; 05-21-2017 at 10:31 PM.