Thread: Devil Boats

Devil Boats

I spend yesterday morning having some fun....

there is a restored PT boat in town and its been a while since i checked in on it. The last time, they were looking for a home and someplace to build a museum along with some moorings for the boat. It appears they found it for now.

They - the volunteers - were busy doing maintenance and such while i was there. I was hoping to here them fire up those Allisons while i was in the engine compartment. The mechanics just replaced the fuel filters and were refilling the oil. it appears that they have to make sure the system in filled and that its pressurized before they start to sing. Unfortunately it was "lunch time" so off to lunch they went. Its okay since they are close by. One cool thing is that they do give rides too. its 150/PP, but how often can you go out and ride one? So you either get 12 people or if you are lucky to get a spot in some random group. So i will be looking into having a boat ride soon.

Unfortunately this year, they wont be at the waterfront during the Rose Festival Week, but they did say they will be giving rides during that time going between the fleet and home. Im may decide to do that and play with some of the toys on deck.

here are some pics for you all. If you are wondering, all of the toys are demilled. Not sure how much, but all of the toys add to the flavor. Since what i read about the crew is that they would scavenge weapons to use.

P1000961 SMALL.jpgP1000962 SMALL.jpgP1000967 SMALL.jpg

i took this photo of the officers quarters. The clock was my uncles. He was in the Navy and then Navy Reserves and donated the clock to them.

If any of you have a lead on a 1919 Browning, demillled of course, let me know. They have a wish list and I'm thinking if i can afford it, it would be a cool give to them. They were all really cool and nice people to talk too.

heres a link to their web site. If any of you are in town, they do have limited tour days, but i think its worth it.

http://www.savetheptboatinc.com/history.htm

also, they told me as of a couple days ago? they were the only working PT boat, but it appears there is another on in Louisiana? In any case, if youre interested in seeing one, they are too cool and should not be missed.
    Last edited by ilove22s; 05-19-2017 at 08:19 PM.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt

Re: Devil Boats

There was some guy in Miami that had one, a few times when we were fishing at the Govt. Cut jetties he would come thundering out, passing all the other boats like they were in reverse, spray flying, i was quite a sight. I never knew who he was or where he kept the boat, if i did i might have stowawayed for a ride. This was in the early 50s

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Interesting
    "The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event."

The WWII museum in New Orleans just finished restoring one. It took several yrs to restore it.

PT-309 (the only known battle veteran PT boat to survive) is on display near my hometown at the Admiral Nimitz museum of the Pacific war in the middle of the Texas Hill country in Fredericksburg. Pretty cool museum. Seen it a few times along with one of the jap midget subs captured off Pearl Harbor
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

well, i just got back from my ride.

took my dad for a surprise early fathers day present.

it just so happens that the Rose Festival week is here and we went out to greet the Canadian ships and Coast Guard.

just love the sound of those engines roaring to life.

greeting the cc ship.jpg
    going to greet a Coast Guard ship

officers birth.jpg
    Forward officers cabin.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt

Quote Originally Posted by ilove22s View Post
    well, i just got back from my ride.

took my dad for a surprise early fathers day present.

it just so happens that the Rose Festival week is here and we went out to greet the Canadian ships and Coast Guard.

just love the sound of those engines roaring to life.

greeting the cc ship.jpg
    going to greet a Coast Guard ship

officers birth.jpg
    Forward officers cabin.
    I kinda hate you....one of my bucket list things....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Oh, you suck. Did you get to try and ride up in one of the gun mounts at speed? I think I would have done that regardless of the consequences.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

That restoration must be an overwhelming task.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.