Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 33

Thread: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

  1. #1
    Senior Member Six-Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Eastern Nebraska
    Posts
    6,421

    .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog



    Decisive win for the smokepole at 37 yards.

    As it turns out, .490" cast lead roundball + .020" patch = 1700's V-max.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

  2. #2
    Senior Member NN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    21,184

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    Go Cowboys go

  3. #3
    Senior Member early's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Thornton CO
    Posts
    4,213

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    He lost, but not for lack of guts.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

  4. #4
    Moderator Jayhawker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Manistee Natl Forest
    Posts
    12,413

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    Uhhhhh...I think you killed it.....nicely done!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

  5. #5
    Senior Member Teach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dellrose TN
    Posts
    17,117

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    Never underestimate the terminal performance of a pure lead round ball. I haven't had anything deer-sized or smaller thumb its nose at one yet!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

  6. #6
    Senior Member Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,904

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    That'll work.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

  7. #7
    Senior Member Six-Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Eastern Nebraska
    Posts
    6,421

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    I'm glad that Ned posted that recipe. The good news is that this one won't need cleaning.

    Oh, and early...I definitely got a chuckle...

    Jerry - yeah, it's retty stunning what a simple lead ball will do when sent out of the tube even at just 1,400 or so fps.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

  8. #8
    Senior Member CHIRO1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    A little mouth to mouth and some chest compressions, he'll be fine.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

  9. #9
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    22,584

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    DAMN!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  10. #10
    Senior Member bisley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    8,748

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    A little mouth to mouth and some chest compressions, he'll be fine.

    And maybe an aspirin or two.

  11. #11
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19,254

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    Yep, most definitely dead!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Six-Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Eastern Nebraska
    Posts
    6,421

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    In all seriousness, what blows my mind is just how fast-expanding even a slow moving lead ball like this is when it's not hardened with other metals and stuffed into a copper jacket. We get so used to seeing what a modern big game bullet will do with its controlled expansion properties that we can forget exactly why those bullets are designed the way they are versus older, pure lead projectiles.
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 08-03-2017 at 02:30 AM.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

  13. #13
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19,254

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    I'm glad that Ned posted that recipe. The good news is that this one won't need cleaning.

    Oh, and early...I definitely got a chuckle...

    Jerry - yeah, it's retty stunning what a simple lead ball will do when sent out of the tube even at just 1,400 or so fps.
    I have no doubt about the effectiveness of 50 Cal. round balls. The problem I have is that I have few shots, if any, close enough to use them. I do have quite a few shots out around 150 yards. In Muzzle Loading season which is right after the end of regular rifle season, you very seldom see a deer at even 100 yards. Since I've been hunting Muzzle loading season I have not had a shot under 120 yards. Well I did have one shot the first year I used it that was around 110 yards, but my rifle fizzle fired. I think I have the fizzle fires worked out now but I've had crap luck seeing deer the last two years within round ball range. So I'm trying the Sabot Loads. I don't want to shoot at anything with it at 200 yards, which some say they're good for, I just want to have a chance at kills at 130-150 yards where I'm seeing deer.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Six-Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Eastern Nebraska
    Posts
    6,421

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    I've never hunted TX, let alone you part of it, but is stalking at all possible even if you only have the mowed lanes to work?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

  15. #15
    Senior Member breamfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Living in a van, down by the river.
    Posts
    11,838

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    A .50 or greater roundball into an armadillo at about 30 yds. is quite... impressive.
    Overkill is underrated.

  16. #16
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19,254

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    I've never hunted TX, let alone you part of it, but is stalking at all possible even if you only have the mowed lanes to work?
    Two things here, One, the brush is so thick where I hunt it's almost impenetrable. And everything growing in that brush either sticks, scratches or bites and it"s so thick they hear you coming, and TWO, I have shaky legs due to the effects of Diabetis, which force me to hunt stationary. But even so, I ain't walkin in that crap. Nobody on our lease stalks anything but an animal that's been shot and run off to die.

    We do have long range shots though.
    Last edited by snake284; 06-03-2017 at 12:53 AM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Six-Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Eastern Nebraska
    Posts
    6,421

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    A .50 or greater roundball into an armadillo at about 30 yds. is quite... impressive.
    Oh, man. I can only imagine. Seriously, even on a soft target like a groundhog, I'm not kidding when I say that the impact effect looked like a V-max.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,799

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post


    Decisive win for the smokepole at 37 yards.

    As it turns out, .490" cast lead roundball + .020" patch = 1700's V-max.
    How much powder?
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

  19. #19
    Senior Member breamfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Living in a van, down by the river.
    Posts
    11,838

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    Oh, man. I can only imagine. Seriously, even on a soft target like a groundhog, I'm not kidding when I say that the impact effect looked like a V-max.
    I've never shot a varmint with a V-max, so I don't have that reference. I just know I watched a 'dillo get hit with a .50 roundball, broadside (because they're dumb) and it kinda... broke.

    It also made me want to get a .50 muzzleloader, either a percussion or a flinter. I still need to get one.
    Overkill is underrated.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Six-Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Eastern Nebraska
    Posts
    6,421

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    How much powder?
    That was 70 gr. Goex FFFg traditional BP.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Six-Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Eastern Nebraska
    Posts
    6,421

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    I've never shot a varmint with a V-max, so I don't have that reference. I just know I watched a 'dillo get hit with a .50 roundball, broadside (because they're dumb) and it kinda... broke.

    It also made me want to get a .50 muzzleloader, either a percussion or a flinter. I still need to get one.
    Yeah. Broke. I can definitely see that being an accurate description. As for what a V-max does, let's just say that what you see in the pic is about where it's at from an appearance standpoint, but the V-max strike will be a little more kinetically reactive. In certain cases, hitting an upright prairie dog low in the paunch will literally send it airborne like the hand-pumped water rockets we had as kids.

    Oh, and you need to stash some dough and get a custom flinter ordered for yourself. Once you learn it well, you'll be hooked.
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 06-03-2017 at 03:28 AM.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Elk creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Colorado!
    Posts
    4,813

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    Very cool! A patched round ball can be devistating for sure. Good shooting.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Big Al1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Panama City, Fl.
    Posts
    5,955

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    I once shot at a very Belligerent red squirrel, with a .50 cal ML, that was standing one it's hind legs barking at me! When the smoke cleared, he was still standing there belligerently, only he was headless! The slow motion tip over was almost comical!

  24. #24
    Senior Member Elk creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Colorado!
    Posts
    4,813

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    I shot a big sow coon with a 32 caplock DRT. She took about 1.5 steps. The bullet was on the off side just under the skin. The bullet flattened out to about the size of a dime.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,176

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    IIIIIIIIIII'M ALLLRIGHT. . .Don nobody worry 'bout me. . .
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

  26. #26
    Senior Member Six-Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Eastern Nebraska
    Posts
    6,421

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    I once shot at a very Belligerent red squirrel, with a .50 cal ML, that was standing one it's hind legs barking at me! When the smoke cleared, he was still standing there belligerently, only he was headless! The slow motion tip over was almost comical!
    That had to be weird to see. Funny you say that about the squirrel still standing there and slowly going over. When I shot a deer at Teach's place with my .54 cal, after the smoke cleared, the deer was still staring at me. I was alarmed because it was only a 30 yards shot. How could I have missed? Then the deer slowly rolled over on its side and kicked a few times and stayed down for good.

    As it turned out, on impact, the deer had gone straight down on his belly, but I never saw it happen because of the smoke! He was basically dead on impact.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elk creek View Post
    I shot a big sow coon with a 32 caplock DRT. She took about 1.5 steps. The bullet was on the off side just under the skin. The bullet flattened out to about the size of a dime.
    That's about what happened when I shot a bobcat with my .36 cal, except that the ball was about nickel sized upon recovery.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    IIIIIIIIIII'M ALLLRIGHT. . .Don nobody worry 'bout me. . .
    Gofferz
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 06-03-2017 at 03:51 PM.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

  27. #27
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19,254

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    I've never hunted TX, let alone you part of it, but is stalking at all possible even if you only have the mowed lanes to work?
    You know the problem with the range is deer get more skiddish as the season progresses, and I have thought about bringing my front stuffer with me earlier in the season when I have some shorter range shots, but I just can't talk myself into it. I have a sling on it so I may try that next year. Just take two guns, one CF rifle and the muzzle loader. I mean you can hunt the whole season with a Muzzle Loader if you so desire, at least in Texas. But the two week season after the regular season is just in case you didn't score in the regular season and you want to have one more opportunity to take a deer. Of course in the county I hunt it will have to be a buck. Doe season ends Thanksgiving weekend on Sunday.

    Edited: If I take the ML at the beginning of the season I know I can get a shorter shot at a doe. Then if I do see a good longer range shot I can nail it with a CF.
    Last edited by snake284; 06-04-2017 at 04:23 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  28. #28
    Senior Member orchidman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    A true 'Southerner'. NZ
    Posts
    6,953

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    He wont see his shadow ever again I reckon............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

  29. #29
    Senior Member Six-Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Eastern Nebraska
    Posts
    6,421

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    Quote Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
    He wont see his shadow ever again I reckon............
    I believe you're right. Folks up here should be thanking me for an early Summer.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

  30. #30
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19,254

    Re: .50 cal flintlock vs. groundhog

    Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    I believe you're right. Folks up here should be thanking me for an early Summer.
    WHen you barbecue a ground hog do you put an apple in his mouth?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •