Thread: Spring roe buck hunt: I got lucky today

Spring roe buck hunt: I got lucky today

As the final week of the spring roe buck season started today I was fortunate enough to be given something from the nature. At 8 a.m. I managed to shoot a nice roe buck. My first ever. In the last three weeks I have been waiting several evenings in the forests and fields but haven't even seen one. This morning this young buck was eating and wondering near the waterline of the sea close to our home. It came to about 45 yards from me and there was an opening through the bushes and trees so I sent 200gr Partition on it's way. I didn't want to trace him so I aimed high at his shoulder blade. He went down like a lightning had hit him. I walked to pick him up and saw that there really is something called overkill. But he didn't take a step and was killed instantly. No unnecessary suffering which always make me feel happy after the kill.
    I'm happy with this one and this means end for the spring season for me. No need to get greedy even when there is one week left of the season. This has been a sensational hunting year for me. Next white tail season starts at the beginning of the september and that will be the start of the new hunting year.

IMG_0929ga.jpg

IMG_0932GA.jpg

IMG_0933GA.jpg

IMG_0936fb.jpg
    To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
    -William Blake-

Re: Spring roe buck hunt: I got lucky today

Was that the off shoulder? The exit side if you will?

Good job and excellent photos as always.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Boy Deuce View Post
    Was that the off shoulder? The exit side if you will?

Good job and excellent photos as always.
    That massive crater is both exit _and_ entrance. Blew the back completely off above shoulder blades. It seems to be mighty powerfull combo for small(ish) game (about 44lbs). 30-06 w/ 200gr Partition
    Last edited by TurdusMerula; 06-08-2017 at 06:18 PM.
    -William Blake-

On the up-side, you didn't screw up the backstraps too bad..
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Very nice job and great planning take the high shoulder/spine shot. As you said: no tracking required.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Excellent, Congratulations
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Shoot it with a 23mm?
    Go Cowboys go

A might close up for the moose load is all.
    Still looks tastey!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

That is a heck of hole in that deer, do they get bigger than the one you shot? Looks like a pile of sauna wood in the garage.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    That is a heck of hole in that deer, do they get bigger than the one you shot? Looks like a pile of sauna wood in the garage.
    Yeah, didn't look quite as bad until I skinned the deer. No wonder why it fell so fast.
    Very old roe bucks might get slightly larger but this one is pretty nice in size as I got about 19lbs of pure meat out of it.

Haha, that wood actually _is_ for the sauna :) (And for the couple of fireplaces too...) At the moment there's about 700 cubic feet stock of it. Should last a while :)

DSC_0119fbb.jpg
    -William Blake-

You are getting a lot of good use out of that 30-06 for sure. Congratulations on a very productive hunting season!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    You are getting a lot of good use out of that 30-06 for sure. Congratulations on a very productive hunting season!
    Thanks!

Yeah, I never imagined that my re-heated hunting hobby will escalate so quickly to where I stand today. That's one of the reasons why I ended up buying that rifle. It had the love of my gun life, Mauser action _and_ it was very affordable. As I'm not having too much monetary freedom I didn't want spend too much money for a rifle I was supposed to use just to hunt one white tail per year. Then it went how it went and I found myself every weekend hunting for big game.
    But I wouldn't do anything different now when I know my rifle. i just love my 30-06.
    -William Blake-

Very nice, congrats. Where were you hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in TX View Post
    Very nice, congrats. Where were you hunting?
    Thanks!

I live in Finland. South west Finland's archipelago to be exact :)
    -William Blake-

Very excellent Zee worthy autopsy photos!

Congrats on the successful hunt!! I always liked Nosler Partitions, they shoot great and do the job!!

Quote Originally Posted by TurdusMerula View Post
    Thanks!

I live in Finland. South west Finland's archipelago to be exact :)
    Turdus, you did it again! Great Job!

I just wish I could come help you eat all that delicious meat.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

BTW, the .30-06 has been doing it since 1906, that's 111 years.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    BTW, the .30-06 has been doing it since 1906, that's 111 years.
    Yes, it's a long time. Mauser action came 1898 and 30-06 followed few years later. Who needs those modern day wonders? :)

I have been secretly hoping that I would have the means to buy another classic caliber, 375 H&H. Why? Who knows. To hunt moose with it. Those two cartridges carries the spirit and echoes from the old days, other one from US and other one from the plains of the Africa.
    I'm painfully aware that
    a) I can't afford 375
    b) I don't need 375
    I just wish I could have a fraction of the legacy it carries. I have the other classic and I'm happy for it. I just enjoy it in itself. 25 years ago I had 308 Win and now my father shoots 308 but it doesn't touch me in any way. Unlike 30-06 which gives me pleasure when I push those sleek rounds to my rifle's magazine and walk into the forest.
    Last week I found three 375 H&H shells from the shooting range and they talked to me just like 30-06. It's the same when I go to my garage and look my -67 Mustang. It's an echo from another time and another place.

Yeah, I know I'm a sentimental fool. Sucker for some old classics. :)

Here's my Mustang

MustangGa.jpg
    Last edited by TurdusMerula; 06-09-2017 at 03:26 PM.
    -William Blake-

Yes, it's a long time. Mauser action came 1898 and 30-06 followed few years later. Who needs those modern day wonders? :)

I have been secretly hoping that I would have the means to buy another classic caliber, 375 H&H. Why? Who knows. To hunt moose with it. Those two cartridges carries the spirit and echoes from the old days, other one from US and other one from the plains of the Africa.
    I'm painfully aware that
    a) I can't afford 375
    b) I don't need 375
    I just wish I could have a fraction of the legacy it carries. I have the other classic and I'm happy for it. I just enjoy it in itself. 25 years ago I had 308 Win and now my father shoots 308 but it doesn't touch me in any way. Unlike 30-06 which gives me pleasure when I push those sleek rounds to my rifle's magazine and walk into the forest.
    Last week I found three 375 H&H shells from the shooting range and they talked to me just like 30-06. It's the same when I go to my garage and look my -67 Mustang. It's an echo from another time and another place.

Yeah, I know I'm a sentimental fool. Sucker for some old classics. :)!

Here's my Mustang

MustangGa.jpg
    You're from Europe and drive a Mustang, I'm from the States and drive a VW. Go figure! I love old classics.

Might I suggest another old Classic? I have one and its probably a little more gentle on you than a .375. And CZ Chambers it in some of their rifles, the 9.3 x 62 Mauser. It's a killer for sure.
    Last edited by snake284; 06-09-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Yeah, didn't look quite as bad until I skinned the deer. No wonder why it fell so fast.
    Very old roe bucks might get slightly larger but this one is pretty nice in size as I got about 19lbs of pure meat out of it.

Haha, that wood actually _is_ for the sauna :) (And for the couple of fireplaces too...) At the moment there's about 700 cubic feet stock of it. Should last a while :)

DSC_0119fbb.jpg
    Much sauna envy. First thing all my relatives do when the get a new place is build a sauna, roof could be leaking and they would build the sauna first.

That car is not to shabby either Which motor is in the Mustang?
    Last edited by CHIRO1989; 06-09-2017 at 07:07 PM.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    Much sauna envy. First thing all my relatives do when the get a new place is build a sauna, roof could be leaking and they would build the sauna first.

That car is not to shabby either Which motor is in the Mustang?
    It's got two barrel 289 and C4. Everything original. At the moment it's in pieces in my garage on it's 50 year rebuild :) Hopefully will be driveable again some sunny day. I bought it from the first owner in San Jose, California. Unfortunately I wasn't there personally but had to use middleman to do it and to get it shipped here. I've had it for eight years now.
    -William Blake-

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    You're from Europe and drive a Mustang, I'm from the States and drive a VW. Go figure! I love old classics.

Might I suggest another old Classic? I have one and its probably a little more gentle on you than a .375. And CZ Chambers it in some of their rifles, the 9.3 x 62 Mauser. It's a killer for sure.
    9.3 is pretty common here in moose hunting. About 40% of our 16 man hunting entourage shoots with 9.3
    Finnish importer had imported five Remington 798 30-06 rifles in 2006. There was another unused 798 in the gun shop where I bought mine last august. Until the last week when it dissappeared from the shops web page I pampered the idea about buying it and have it rebarreled to 9.3x62 but didn't have extra money for the rifle I don't actually need. And now it's gone. Saved by the bell. Phew! :)
    -William Blake-

Nice old car!! I have a '68 Buick LeSabre rag top! BIL has a '65 Mustang Fastback he's had almost 50 years. I put the cam in for him about 1969, it's a 302 now. Unfortunately it's in bad need of restoration!! Runs great, just looks like crap, but it's a Wisconsin car. Good old rust belt!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    Nice old car!! I have a '68 Buick LeSabre rag top! BIL has a '65 Mustang Fastback he's had almost 50 years. I put the cam in for him about 1969, it's a 302 now. Unfortunately it's in bad need of restoration!! Runs great, just looks like crap, but it's a Wisconsin car. Good old rust belt!
    Rust sucks whether you get it from Salt on the road or from the air next to the bay, like here. I had a 57 Chevy 4 door hardtop I was trying to restore, but after putting 50 gallons of Bondo on it I gave up. It was rusting faster than the Bondo would cure.

However, I did get pretty good at sculpting Bondo,

They're still relatively rare here but they kill very well thank you. I've shot one deer with this thing and it didn't move except for straight down. It doesn't kill anything any deader, just faster.