Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why would you want french doors in a bedroom?

Why would you want french doors in a bedroom?

I was watching HGTV today, and they were renovating an older home. They made a garage into a 'bunkhouse' for visiting grandkids, but they added a set of glass french doors to that room and the master bedroom.

I could never understand why people want glass doors in their bedroom? I don't even like having a window someone can use to look into my bedroom. A burglar could be through that glass and at your bed in less than 1 second.

Besides, it will never keep the Zombies out!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Re: Why would you want french doors in a bedroom?

Quote Originally Posted by jbp-ohio View Post
    I was watching HGTV today, and they were renovating an older home. They made a garage into a 'bunkhouse' for visiting grandkids, but they added a set of glass french doors to that room and the master bedroom.

I could never understand why people want glass doors in their bedroom? I don't even like having a window someone can use to look into my bedroom. A burglar could be through that glass and at your bed in less than 1 second.

Reinforced doors.

Mine look out on the patio and pool when they are open. Impervious to a baseball bat.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Well exhibitionists gotta have fun too!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Yep, install a set of bleachers outside that window and charge admission! That's what a few nightclubs in Angeles City did back when I was stationed at Clark AFB!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

I thought French doors were the ones that you just push aside and they disappear into the woodwork?
    Tim Mason

Quote Originally Posted by coolgunguy View Post
    I thought French doors were the ones that you just push aside and they disappear into the woodwork?
    those are pocket doors
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    those are pocket doors
    Lol, read it again with the smiley faces...
    Tim Mason

Quote Originally Posted by coolgunguy View Post
    I guess it depends on which part of France you're from.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

My first thought for a response was "Who wouldn't want them?... Oh wait, you said doors... never mind."

Mebbe I over thought this?
    Tim Mason

Why even have doors then
    Go Cowboys go

French doors going outside are usually a bad idea. They're weak; easy to kick in, and easy for the wind to have its way with them. Idiot next door neighbor in Cali wanted them in her bedroom. I told her DO NOT do this, the wind slams into that end of your house. Of course she ignored me, and I could see them flexing in even a moderate wind, and she was wondering why she had a leak...

Only thing worse than a French door is a sliding glass door, but for different reasons.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

I had them at the ranch. They were very high quality doors which dead bolted to the frame on both sides. I was surrounded by 57 acres of my own land and having no young children in the house I step with an easily accessible handgun by my side had a security system and a protection trained German Shepherd on the floor by the bed.

I woke up every day looking out of those doors at my land behind the house and I would not have traded that for the world!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by BigDanS View Post
    Reinforced doors.

Mine look out on the patio and pool when they are open. Impervious to a baseball bat.

D
    Why? Why do you want to see that from the bedroom?

Everyone says they want their bedroom to be "bright and airy". The sun is up before 6:00am here. The bedroom is where you sleep. How can you sleep in with all of that light?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

We have french doors on the master bedroom that look out into a two acre pasture that the horses are in during the night. We only have blinds on the south wall of the master bedroom as that Is the only part of the house that can be seen from off of our property and on the guest room windows for the privacy of our guests. All of the other windows have sheer curtains on them that you can see through. The house is also surrounded by large oaks that shade the house and windows. If you are close enough to the house to see in the windows, you are trespassing and there will be two heelers sounding the alarm.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Everyone says they want their bedroom to be "bright and airy". The sun is up before 6:00am here. The bedroom is where you sleep. How can you sleep in with all of that light?
    Plantation shutters.

D
    Last edited by BigDanS; 06-12-2017 at 11:26 PM.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    If you are close enough to the house to see in the windows, you are trespassing and there will be two heelers sounding the alarm.
    Bingo!

Mine are inside a fenced yard.

D

Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    French doors going outside are usually a bad idea. They're weak; easy to kick in, and easy for the wind to have its way with them. Idiot next door neighbor in Cali wanted them in her bedroom. I told her DO NOT do this, the wind slams into that end of your house. Of course she ignored me, and I could see them flexing in even a moderate wind, and she was wondering why she had a leak...
    Only thing worse than a French door is a sliding glass door, but for different reasons.
    Have you ever considered that there might be doors stronger and of higher quality than what you're experienced with? I don't recall you being a contractor so I suspect that there are lots of construction materials out there that you might not be familiar with. Your difficulty in drilling holes in ceramic tile makes me disregard any home repair or construction related advice that you might give. There are lots of high quality french doors and sliding patio doors available that you apparently aren't aware of.

French doors allow room to deploy the tracked gun carraige.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Unless I need to wake up before sunrise for a conference call I don't use an alarm anymore. I have huge windows in my bedroom overlooking a pond and the sun rises right over it. I let the sunrise wake me up. It awesome!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Have you ever considered that there might be doors stronger and of higher quality than what you're experienced with? I don't recall you being a contractor so I suspect that there are lots of construction materials out there that you might not be familiar with. Your difficulty in drilling holes in ceramic tile makes me disregard any home repair or construction related advice that you might give. There are lots of high quality french doors and sliding patio doors available that you apparently aren't aware of.
    Oh no doubt. Throw enough money at a problem and it goes away, I get that. The neighbor in question was trying to turn a sow's ear (Mobile Home) into a silk purse (A Victorian mansion) and she didn't have any money. I knew she was going to have that problem, and she did. Sliders are noisy, prone to leakage, and are maintenance intensive (seals and rollers). I'm sure if you spend $10,000 on a door, it won't have these problems. But for the "rest of us", the best thing to do is avoid the problems in the first place, then you don't have to spend the money or deal with the issues!

The neighbor on the other side of me in Cali insisted on putting in a slider - also on the windward side of his home. I told him not to. He did anyway. I moved before we had any weather, but it *will* leak sooner or later - probably sooner. The windward side had to be thought of as a roof - because wind blown rain came in horizontally quite frequently. At 30 to 50 knots! I'm sure someone makes a slider that can stand up to that, I'm also sure he didn't use one. I say use a well constructed single door with good gasketing and side light windows to get a similar effect as a slider or French door set - but most importantly said door should open OUT.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary!

I'm with you - I'd rather not have ANY windows in the bedroom. But I'm a "cave dweller", I like my house to be dim inside, and my bedroom to be completely pitch dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Unless I need to wake up before sunrise for a conference call I don't use an alarm anymore. I have huge windows in my bedroom overlooking a pond and the sun rises right over it. I let the sunrise wake me up. It awesome!
    5:40 AM
    Tuesday, June 13, 2017 (CDT)
    Sunrise in Panama City, FL 32404
    Ummmm..... No!

Ummmm..... No!
    I'm an early riser anyway. I hate wasting sunlight. But if I need to sleep, I'll sleep in broad daylight while a marching band goes by.

Oh no doubt. Throw enough money at a problem and it goes away, I get that. The neighbor in question was trying to turn a sow's ear (Mobile Home) into a silk purse (A Victorian mansion) and she didn't have any money. I knew she was going to have that problem, and she did. Sliders are noisy, prone to leakage, and are maintenance intensive (seals and rollers). I moved before we had any weather, but it *will* leak sooner or later - probably sooner. The windward side had to be thought of as a roof - because wind blown rain came in horizontally quite frequently. At 30 to 50 knots! I'm sure someone makes a slider that can stand up to that, I'm also sure he didn't use one. I say use a well constructed single door with good gasketing and side light windows to get a similar effect as a slider or French door set - but most importantly said door should open OUT.

In my county, code requires windows and doors to withstand twice that and it's not an issue. Welcome to our planet, will you be staying long?

Sliding glass to a back porch. At some point I will put french doors on it.

Better field of fire.
    If I can see it from there, I own it.
    If a trespasser gets a look at my rosy red bum, its because I am bent over getting the carbine.
    I like light. Lived in enough cheap apts and places with dark paneling and no windows.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Oh no doubt. Throw enough money at a problem and it goes away, I get that. The neighbor in question was trying to turn a sow's ear (Mobile Home) into a silk purse (A Victorian mansion) and she didn't have any money. I knew she was going to have that problem, and she did. Sliders are noisy, prone to leakage, and are maintenance intensive (seals and rollers). I'm sure if you spend $10,000 on a door, it won't have these problems. But for the "rest of us", the best thing to do is avoid the problems in the first place, then you don't have to spend the money or deal with the issues!

The neighbor on the other side of me in Cali insisted on putting in a slider - also on the windward side of his home. I told him not to. He did anyway. I moved before we had any weather, but it *will* leak sooner or later - probably sooner. The windward side had to be thought of as a roof - because wind blown rain came in horizontally quite frequently. At 30 to 50 knots! I'm sure someone makes a slider that can stand up to that, I'm also sure he didn't use one. I say use a well constructed single door with good gasketing and side light windows to get a similar effect as a slider or French door set - but most importantly said door should open OUT.

Just because someone blew up a Yugo engine when they tried to run nitrous in it doesn't mean that cars, in general, are poor forms of transportation.
    Overkill is underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    I'm an early riser anyway. I hate wasting sunlight. But if I need to sleep, I'll sleep in broad daylight while a marching band goes by.
    Ah, you evidently didn't work swing shift for 30+ years and have your sleep cycle permanently screwed up.

I'm with you - I'd rather not have ANY windows in the bedroom. But I'm a "cave dweller", I like my house to be dim inside, and my bedroom to be completely pitch dark.

When we remodled this old house and put new screens on all the windows, the guy who custom built the screens offered these black screens. They block out a good bit more light than normal screens. I use lights all day long. But the offset of the cost of cooling in summer using central air (Here in South Texas) is worth it in that they keep the house notably cooler than regular screens. I don't like a room dark unless I'm trying to sleep. When I'm awake I like light. And the latest and greatest LED light bulbs are ultra cheap to run and last a LONG time. Oh and they generate a lot less heat too.
    Last edited by snake284; 06-13-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Varmintmist View Post
    Sliding glass to a back porch. At some point I will put french doors on it.

Better field of fire.
    If I can see it from there, I own it.
    If a trespasser gets a look at my rosy red bum, its because I am bent over getting the carbine.
    I like light. Lived in enough cheap apts and places with dark paneling and no windows.
    Me too! I'm not a bat with radar eyes!

I think my ex Filipina is though, the woman can literally see in the dark! Never seen anybody like her in that respect.

She's not afraid of the dark because she's never in the dark. The woman's like a damn Cat!
    Last edited by snake284; 06-13-2017 at 06:29 PM.

In my county, code requires windows and doors to withstand twice that and it's not an issue. Welcome to our planet, will you be staying long?
    That's good - unfortunately in Ca, their only concern is earthquake (and fire). I doubt the local gov't even knows about our windy micro-clime.

Which doesn't invalidate my point: You can do anything if you throw enough money at it. French doors are sub-optimal for external doors in most cases, overcoming their limitations takes money. Just like anything else!
    Last edited by zorba; 06-13-2017 at 07:57 PM.