Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cop's possessions auctioned after shooting...

Cop's possessions auctioned after shooting...

Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Sgt. Adams Lin watched helplessly on Saturday as federal marshals seized his personal belongings — including his car, clothes, television and furniture — to help pay the expenses of a 23-year-old West Palm Beach man he shot, paralyzing him for life.

Attorney Jack Scarola, who won a $22.4 million jury verdict for Stephens last year, said he got permission from a federal magistrate to take the unusual step of seizing Lin’s property to pay off the judgment that is against both the deputy and the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office.

“It doesn’t give me any joy to do this,” he said. “This was not a happy morning spent on Saturday. It was something we did because we felt an obligation to protect my client’s interest. My client remains destitute.”

The move outraged John Kazanjian, president of the Palm Beach County Police Benevolent Association. In 37 years in law enforcement, he said he’s never heard of an officer’s belongings being taken to be sold on the auction block.

“It makes us have to think every time when we go out to do our job: Are we going to be civilly liable? Do we have to rent all of our property?” he said. “This is a bad, bad precedent.”

If "going out and doing your job" means shooting unarmed people, then yes, you should be held civilly and criminally liable.
    Negligence needs to be painful.

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/...pWqsz9hvWWjKP/
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Re: Cop's possessions auctioned after shooting...

Sharing the pain with the taxpayers is a good thing. Maybe this will help curb these acts.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.

Banned

And his crime? Riding a bicycle against traffic. Unfreaking believable.

Is that old news or was the seizure of Deputy Lins property halted? Is Lin still on the job?

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/cr...j1D9O1X2eZ22N/
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

This is January 2016 news. Why is it being posted now?

Schadenfreude.
    Last edited by Gene L; 07-02-2017 at 08:52 PM.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    This is January 2016 news. Why is it being posted now?

Schadenfreude.
    Is that the cops mentality towards the taxpayers?

Apparently asset seizure only works in one direction- - - - -ask the predators who patrol the interstates all the way along the southern coastline.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    Is that old news or was the seizure of Deputy Lins property halted? Is Lin still on the job?

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/cr...j1D9O1X2eZ22N/
    You are right. It's old news. I didn't check the date.

Saying Sgt. Adams Lin proved that having his possessions sold at auction would leave him destitute, U.S. Magistrate Barry Seltzer ordered federal marshals to retrieve them from storage and move them back to his townhouse.

In the cops' eyes, leaving Lin "destitute" is worse than how he left his victim.

Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Buford View Post
    Is that the cops mentality towards the taxpayers?
    That's the cops' mentality to anyone who isn't a cop. Just ask Eugene.

Ayn Rand

Schadenfreude.
    malicious joy?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

How come nobody says anything about Officer Lin not be charged or disciplined? If he was not found to be in the wrong I cant figure out how he had a judgement against him. But, it happens all the time, just ask OJ. In reading the entire article and several over the last few year, it appears that if Mr. Stephens had followed the officers instructions and not reached behind his back, he would still be riding his bike erratically around his friends neighborhood.

Our keyboard cop haters on here will not agree, but thats OK, this is America and we all can have an opinion and state it, the Constitution says so.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/vi...Er4vTH0effGKK/

The LEO was cleared of any wrongdoing by 2 separate investigations.

And maybe you should do a wee bit more research before posting up a story that is relatively old news.

Seems like he got his belongings back.............http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/cr...j1D9O1X2eZ22N/

Interesting that the unarmed black man had a history of selling drugs btw............and he didnt stop selling them after he became wheelchair bound.....Oh, wait........He had to sell drugs cos he didnt get paid his millions.......

My only question is what kind of scumbag lawyer takes a mans families pets in settlement of a claim. With that attitude, I am surprised he didnt seize the LEO's daughter and sell her as well.

Just my own personal view which I guess I am allowed to air..............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman View Post

And maybe you should do a wee bit more research before posting up a story that is relatively old news.

Seems like he got his belongings back.............http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/cr...j1D9O1X2eZ22N/

Interesting that the unarmed black man had a history of selling drugs btw............and he didnt stop selling them after he became wheelchair bound.....Oh, wait........He had to sell drugs cos he didnt get paid his millions.......

My only question is what kind of scumbag lawyer takes a mans families pets in settlement of a claim. With that attitude, I am surprised he didnt seize the LEO's daughter and sell her as well.

and share your view.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman View Post

If refugees have Constitutional Rights before they become citizens then most certainly Kiwi commenters have a right to air an opinion....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by Diver43 View Post

Our keyboard cop haters on here will not agree, but thats OK, this is America and we all can have an opinion and state it, the Constitution says so.
    Keyboard Cop Haters...KCH. I love it. Describes exactly the attitude of a couple or three people here. Those who post dated information and those who make up supposed stories to support their bias, and those who are ignorant and think they're the final word on the interpretation of the Constitution, ignoring the separation of powers rule.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

The Los Angeles police department paid nearly $81 million in legal settlements last fiscal year, a sharp increase as the city closed the books on several high-profile and costly cases. Just saying if they shared that cost with the officers involved maybe it would slow this stuff down. I can only imagine the cost for the whole country.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...509-story.html

And that relates to attempting to bash a cop that was cleared TWICE in Palm Beach, Florida how?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Qualified Immunity should have prevented ALL of that garbage from happening to the officer.
    The lawyer went judge shopping (note he found a federal magistrate, not a state one) to try and make a name for himself.

The fact his property was released back to him exemplifies the backhanded methods the attorney was using.

It was not a matter for federal jurisdiction to begin with.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by CaliFFL View Post
    That's the cops' mentality to anyone who isn't a cop. Just ask Eugene.

No. It's the mentality of, "you have no clue what I have to do and go through in my job so can you just back off and let the authorities that be arbitrate wrongdoing I'm accused of?"
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

And that relates to attempting to bash a cop that was cleared TWICE in Palm Beach, Florida how?
    It don't, just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by Buford View Post
    It don't, just sayin
    Just sayin' what?
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Just sayin' what?
    That cities are paying out a ton of money for police misconduct.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMPD View Post
    Qualified Immunity should have prevented ALL of that garbage from happening to the officer.
    Further proof that many cops think they're above the law and deserve special rights and favors over the United States Citizen.

The lawyer went judge shopping (note he found a federal magistrate, not a state one) to try and make a name for himself.

The fact his property was released back to him exemplifies the backhanded methods the attorney was using.

It was not a matter for federal jurisdiction to begin with.
    Go Cowboys go

Quote Originally Posted by 6EQUJ5 - WOW! View Post
    Further proof that many cops think they're above the law and deserve special rights and favors over the United States Citizen.
    Now your talking out your backside. Look it up and read the definition. Especially the part that begins with insofar.

No. It's the mentality of, "you have no clue what I have to do and go through in my job so can you just back off and let the authorities that be arbitrate wrongdoing I'm accused of?"

But, you guys are not the only people in this country that from time to time have such issues.

Semper Fi Mack
    Go Cowboys go

Banned

Now your talking out your backside. Look it up and read the definition. Especially the part that begins with insofar.
    Again, further proof that many cops think they're above the law and have more rights over the United States citizen. I wonder where that "Qualified Immunity" was for Kelly Thomas when six Fullerton police officers beat him to death after he was wrongly accused of breaking into cars? Where was that "Qualified Immunity" for Eric Garner when he was tackled and choked to death by NYC police officers and left to die without first-aid being rendered for the 'Capitol Offense' of selling cigarettes? Where was that "Qualified Immunity" for the Georgia toddler who was severely burned and permanently disfigured after a Swat Team executed a 'no-knock' warrant and threw a flash-bang grenade into a baby crib? Where was that "Qualified Immunity for the countless Louisiana residents who had their homes invaded without warrant in the unlawful seizure and confiscation of privately owned firearms? The list goes on and on and on.

Here we go again. Come on back to the original story. The Officer was cleared of wrong doing by not one, but two boards. Why in the world would anyone be awarded a dime if the Officer was found to not be in the wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by 6EQUJ5 - WOW! View Post

Apparently you have no clue what qualified immunity means.

Banned

Here we go again. Come on back to the original story. The Officer was cleared of wrong doing by not one, but two boards. Why in the world would anyone be awarded a dime if the Officer was found to not be in the wrong?
    . . .and Officers Ramos and Cicinelli were cleared of wrong doing despite a video that clearly stated otherwise in the beating death of Kelly Thomas, your point? "Answer - "Daily Double," - ah, what is corruption Alex!? And how much did you wager Diver? "The U.S. Constitution. . . .well done"