Thread: kimber mag

kimber mag

anyone seen this happen.

Shot my Kahr CW45 today and this is what happened to the Kimber mag both times I tried it, first time I took it apart and fixed the problem second time took the pictures.
    I have never had a magazine do this before.
    These are the compact, the fit is good and it cycles fine. There is a difference at the top of the magazines between the Kimber and the Kahr.
    Kahr on the left.

Re: kimber mag

Never seen that one before...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Something's outta spec...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    Something's outta spec...
    Probably cheap steel-----needs a plastic follower.

I have seen feed lips separate from too aggressive slamming in of the mag.
    Someone please play Jingle Bells

No, that's definitely new to me.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

E-mail Kimber, bet they jump all over themselves to replace the mag.

And that's why I shoot Wilson Combat mags........I have had weird magazine failures with 2 different Kimber mags. I dropped them in the trash bin and got wilsons.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Is the spring in backwards? I had a similar problem on a mini-Mauser magazine follower that resolved itself when I turned the spring around 180 degrees.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    Just an old fart making the PC Patrol earn their pay!

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Is the spring in backwards? I had a similar problem on a mini-Mauser magazine follower that resolved itself when I turned the spring around 180 degrees.
    Jerry
    That's what I thought might have happened also but it was installed properly.

Got to looking at it last night and looked like the top of the spring was bent upward so I bent it down some and put it back together, will try it again tomorrow and see if that helped.

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    E-mail Kimber, bet they jump all over themselves to replace the mag.
    If it does the same thing again after tweaking it I will email them.

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Jerry
    That would have been my guess but you ruled that out. My next guess would be a bad spot on the weld on the back (inside) of the mag holding the back of the follower down. I'd check to make sure the inside is perfectly smooth. Is this a new mag? I have a butt load off Kimber mags in the house, both standard and the Pro line, and I've never had any issues with any of them.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    That would have been my guess but you ruled that out. My next guess would be a bad spot on the weld on the back (inside) of the mag holding the back of the follower down. I'd check to make sure the inside is perfectly smooth. Is this a new mag? I have a butt load off Kimber mags in the house, both standard and the Pro line, and I've never had any issues with any of them.
    Just checked with a pencil and running it up and down it does seem gritty, if I push down a little past center toward the heal it tries to flip up in the front.
    This was the first time this mag had been used.

I use Wilson Combat magazines as well. I have not been a big fan of Kimber magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by rberglof View Post
    Just checked with a pencil and running it up and down it does seem gritty, if I push down a little past center toward the heal it tries to flip up in the front.
    This was the first time this mag had been used.
    When some one pumps out thousands of parts a day once in a while one will pass QC that shouldn't. As has been said, You can give Kimber a call. I myself would shine a light into the mag body and look for a raised/rough spot on the weld and take it down with some fine grit paper wrapped around a screwdriver blade.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

When some one pumps out thousands of parts a day once in a while one will pass QC that shouldn't. As has been said, You can give Kimber a call. I myself would shine a light into the mag body and look for a raised/rough spot on the weld and take it down with some fine grit paper wrapped around a screwdriver blade.
    Cleaned it up last night and tried again today.
    Loaded that one plus another new Kimber mag that I have, offending mag had no improvement but other one functioned fine including locking slide back on last shot.

Still trying to get used to that long trigger pull on the Kahr. Think it would be easier if it was a two stage, then I would at least know when it was going to fire.

[QUOTE=Teach;677835]Is the spring in backwards? I had a similar problem on a mini

Good post , Jerry

I have a dozen Kimber Tac-Mags (stainless) and probably 40k rounds thru the group and never had a problem. Three Wilson Combat mags still in the package. Pay a little extra for the "upgrades" but they have performed well.

OK one more try on the malfunctioning magazine.
    I was looking at my other Kimber mags and the loops of the spring along the body of the mag was not in the same place as the bad one so I turned the spring around where the loop at the top was pointing to the back instead of the front like the others.
    Loaded up the magazine and it functioned as it should. Guess the spring is the problem.
    I had already ordered a new spring and follower a couple days ago, should arrive Thursday.

Good deal

Glad you worked it out.

Thanks for responses, that's why I took a closer look at the spring.