Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rioting in Charlottesville!

Rioting in Charlottesville!

There was a statue of General Robert E Lee removed from a park in Charlottesville VA that generated some big protests that have grown to thousands of people and a local emergency has been declared. They even have the National Guard on standby. Supposedly it's a white nationalist and alt right rally that is being counter protested by the blm bunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Re: Rioting in Charlottesville!

It would seem that people would have something better to do on a Saturday morning...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

I misspoke about the statue. Seems it's scheduled to be removed and the white nationalists had all the proper permits for their rally in the park where the statue is located. The blm people appeared to try and disrupt the rally and the white nationalists were ready for them. From listening to some interviews, it sounds like the kkk vs blm.

Unfortunately, I think these clashes are inevitable...and will probably become more frequent...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    I misspoke about the statue. Seems it's scheduled to be removed and the white nationalists had all the proper permits for their rally in the park where the statue is located. The blm people appeared to try and disrupt the rally and the white nationalists were ready for them. From listening to some interviews, it sounds like the kkk vs blm.
    On Fox, they reported that the KKK had had a earlier rally this month, which was peaceful. This is supposedly a "White Nationalist" protest versus others, not specifically BLM by name, although perhaps they had members of each group in the events.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Free speech. Don't like it, then don't listen.
    Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: "Half of writing history is hiding the truth."
    “He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.” Elbert Hubbard

Dumb Blonde the news comes on and says they are fighting over a statue of General Lee a WWII general...............then kept calling him Robert Lee..............I always hear it as Robert E. Lee, be like calling MLK...............Martin King without the Luther.

Anyhow both sides should be allowed to beat each other senseless (the KKK/far right and BLM/ ANTIFA)............as far as the statue goes I think it and all the others should have been allowed to stay put. ISIS likes to destroy history too.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

This protest seems like there are some huge racial overtones. Basically a bunch of white supremacists held a rally in anticipation of a conflicting non-white group to try and disrupt their rally which they claimed was held in protest of the city council voting to remove a statue of Lee. Both sides looked prepared for physical conflict as many had helmets and homemade shields. One guy had a water bottle with what looked like milk that he was flushing his eyes with as though he expected to get pepper sprayed. Stuff like this makes both sides look bad but at least there hasn't been any property damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    This protest seems like there are some huge racial overtones. Basically a bunch of white supremacists held a rally in anticipation of a conflicting non-white group to try and disrupt their rally which they claimed was held in protest of the city council voting to remove a statue of Lee. Both sides looked prepared for physical conflict as many had helmets and homemade shields. One guy had a water bottle with what looked like milk that he was flushing his eyes with as though he expected to get pepper sprayed. Stuff like this makes both sides look bad but at least there hasn't been any property damage.

One reporter had a business card of a group offering protestors/troublemakers service for a fee.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

They are attempting to destroy your history.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp View Post
    ..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.
    I'll never hear the end of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    ...But seriously Shush....

Quote Originally Posted by shush View Post
    Yes. And apparently with the National and State's governments blessing. Pretty sad, really.
    Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: "Half of writing history is hiding the truth."
    “He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.” Elbert Hubbard

I see these statues kind of like trophies. I say take them down, as losers don't get trophies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by shush View Post
    I don't get it. Didn't seem to make a hoot about Confederate Flags and statues even through the racial unrest of the 50s and 60s and now all of a sudden they do?

I went to bed at 2am, got up at 6am and haven't stoped moving until lunch time. I'm so tired I feel old. What is up with these people???
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

The cops need to back off, establish a perimeter, and let the two factions duke it out. The survivors will be easier to arrest since they'll be bloodied, wounded, and tired. The dead ones won't be around to create a fuss the next time. One thing I learned when breaking up a fight in the high school where I taught was to wait until at least one of the combatants was tired of fighting. Stopping a fight too early just invited a repeat of the festivities.
    Jerry
    Last edited by Teach; 08-12-2017 at 08:02 PM.
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

Now they are saying a car plowed into a crowd of counter protestors..........but it hit and pushed two other vehicles at an intersection into them too.........then it went into reverse and tried to escape and was later stopped.

They are saying it was deliberate, but some say not so because the crowd was throwing projectiles at the car and it sped up then hit the other two. Maybe found themselves in the wrong crowd freaked out and panicked causing the injuries..............I dunno. The driver surely could have swerved to the sidewalk and caused a whole lot more injuries if that was what they were trying to do.
    Last edited by Big Chief; 08-12-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Of course the media will probably report it was a Klansman in full garb with a noose dangling off the cars bumper shouting racial slurs at BLM counter protesters who did it........................

Well, one thing is for sure and that is BOTH sides there today were itching for a fight. Some are trying to portray it as just the Far Rights fault, not true. A lot of news footage showed the Left antagonizing the Right and starting confrontations.

Some criticized the police for letting it go so far before stepping in........well they have short memories what about the police being told to stand down in Baltimore and Ferguson where much worse was going on...........just sayin.

Trump said both sides need to stop...........and naturally he is being called a right wing supporter who sympathizes with David Duke for not just calling out the right/Alt Right..........and the "Counter Protestors"/BLM and the rest were somehow all little angels. Both sides wore helmets, knee pads and had their signs tacked to wood handles that could be used as clubs.

I hope it ends and they all just go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    Well, one thing is for sure and that is BOTH sides there today were itching for a fight. Some are trying to portray it as just the Far Rights fault, not true. A lot of news footage showed the Left antagonizing the Right and starting confrontations.

Some criticized the police for letting it go so far before stepping in........well they have short memories what about the police being told to stand down in Baltimore and Ferguson where much worse was going on...........just sayin.

Trump said both sides need to stop...........and naturally he is being called a right wing supporter who sympathizes with David Duke for not just calling out the right/Alt Right..........and the "Counter Protestors"/BLM and the rest were somehow all little angels. Both sides wore helmets, knee pads and had their signs tacked to wood handles that could be used as clubs.

I hope it ends and they all just go home.
    I'm with ya, B.C.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Well I haven't seen these pics yet so maybe it was intentional...............eyewitness keep saying the LIC# plate was removed from the car, it is clearly on it.

Oh here is the link with the pics.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-crowd-n792116

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    The cops need to back off, establish a perimeter, and let the two factions duke it out. The survivors will be easier to arrest since they'll be bloodied, wounded, and tired. The dead ones won't be around to create a fuss the next time. One thing I learned when breaking up a fight in the high school where I taught was to wait until at least one of the combatants was tired of fighting. Stopping a fight too early just invited a repeat of the festivities.
    Jerry
    Like in Ferguson? This ain't a highschool fight, it's a mob, or two mobs and the police cannot back off and let it play out. Looks like later video shows a car ramming into another car, but they've got the driver. More to follow.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Who's going to miss the worthless clowns on either side of the mixup if a few of them assume room temperature? They came to the party with the intention of fighting- - - - -knowing that every effort would be made to make the fights stop. Surprise them and don't interfere- - - -nobody with any intelligence will be sorry if they take each other out. There was only one side represented in Ferguson.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

It's possible you don't realize the responsibility of government in riot situations. There were two sides in Berkeley and they destroyed a lot of property, as they did in Ferguson with one side. People have a right to protest (I think it's Amendment 1) and counter protest without an automobile being driven through their midst. That's clearly a violation of laws that shouldn't be violated. I have zero sympathy for any group in this mess, but surely turning the city over to thugs like "The Gangs of New York" is not a good idea.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Well, only one side had the legal right to be there. Funny that its all their fault in the news.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    It's possible you don't realize the responsibility of government in riot situations. There were two sides in Berkeley and they destroyed a lot of property, as they did in Ferguson with one side. People have a right to protest (I think it's Amendment 1) and counter protest without an automobile being driven through their midst. That's clearly a violation of laws that shouldn't be violated. I have zero sympathy for any group in this mess, but surely turning the city over to thugs like "The Gangs of New York" is not a good idea.
    Having been to Charlottesville I'd estimate no more than 20% of the "protesters" live within 20 miles of the city. Even being a college town my experience has been that it is very much conservative in the east coast, wealthy, preppy way. Think Georgetown, Princeton, etc.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

There is a unsubstantiated rumor that the driver got scared and reacted to stuff being thrown and really didn't mean to ram the people and cars. I can see the driver saying anything to try and get some break but the truth will come out.

It would be ironic if the driver turns out to be unaffiliated with either side and the idiots caused the driver to panic and crash. Sure, yeah I know it is reaching but you gotta admit it would be so ironic if the idiots by throwing stuff and slapping at an unaffiliated person cause their own to be killed and injured.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

Ironic, but probably not gonna happen. The only people there were there for a reason; it's almost certainly he wasn't a farmer who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The video I saw shows him backing up and driving forward. I don't know which side he represented and don't care. What an .
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Unfortunately, in todays "I'm a damn snowflake" and " safe space" society, this is going to be a part of our culture that wont go away anytime soon. Everyone is so damn quick to condemn the actions of the white supremacist movement in Virginia today, yet they condone the Black lives matter movement and all its criminal activities. I'm not going to condone the actions today, and whomever was involved needs to be charged. Three brothers lost their lives today, and all the blame will fall on the white people there. No blame will go to the black rioters with aerosol torches burning flags and people. Once this country gets its head out of its ass, then we can get back on track. Race isn't the issue, its the political value that politics have placed between races. Hold everyone accountable equally and this will straighten itself out.