Thread: Just like the Boy Scouts- - - - -Be Prepared

Just like the Boy Scouts- - - - -Be Prepared

What's the primary skill most self defense courses teach? "Situational awareness"- - - -right? Gather round,crew, and tell me if I'm being paranoid, or just cautious. About 11:00 PM I stopped for gasoline just south of Atlanta where the west loop bypass joins I-75 southbound. I intentionally picked a big, well-lit facility with about 20 pump stations- - - -no dimly lit stop and rob convenience store in the middle of the night! While I was doing the credit card thing at the pump, I noticed two skinny young white men sort of aimlessly strolling around the pump islands, eyeballing the 3 or 4 vehicles gassing up. OK- - - -I'm on alert now!

Just as I was topping off the tank, one of the guys appears about 10 feet away from behind one of the pump stations- - - - -"Hey man, can I ask you a question?" I take a quick glance around, and his buddy is nowhere in sight. Maybe it's just an innocent coincidence, but Mama didn't raise her eldest boy to be careless! "No!- - - -Go away!" I lean back against the side of the car and gently lift my untucked shirt tail and cover the grip of my carry piece- - - -no quick or overt moves, just sort of like I'm putting a hand on my hip. "Hey, I just wanna talk to you!" "Not tonight- - - -GO AWAY!" Now he's glancing around, maybe wondering why this easy mark old man isn't following the script? His buddy is still out of view, and I'm wondering where he might be, but I'm not about to take my eyes off the first guy.

After several repititions of the same conversation the guy finally wanders off, mumbling to himself, and tries to start a conversation with a big black woman woman at a nearby gas pump who looks like she could fold him up like a jacknife and stuff him into her pocket. I finish topping off my tank, crank up, and get back onto the interstate.

Maybe I read the situation wrong, but I chose to be ready if things started to go downhill. I never exposed my carry piece, or did any obvious brandishing, just casually put a hand to my hip where it just happened to rest on the handgrip. Comments?

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

Re: Just like the Boy Scouts- - - - -Be Prepared

You did not over-react and handled the situation well. Oldest trick in the book, one which occured to me outside my own home while taking out the trash one night. I spotted three guys strolling down the street and suddenly two of them want to engage in conversation.... and the third one is nowhere in sight...I got my back up against the house and ordered both of the guys to stop...the second warning was given with my hand on my Glock...at which point they backed off and guy #3 appeared from behind my truck and they resumed their stroll after asking if I was a cop. Found a tire iron laying in the grass where #3 was the following morning...

Again...you handled it very well. I would have called 911 to let the authorities that be know there were dirt bags about...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Sounds good to me Teach.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp View Post
    ..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.
    I'll never hear the end of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    ...But seriously Shush....

You did not over-react and handled the situation well. Oldest trick in the book, one which occured to me outside my own home while taking out the trash one night. I spotted three guys strolling down the street and suddenly two of them want to engage in conversation.... and the third one is nowhere in sight...I got my back up against the house and ordered both of the guys to stop...the second warning was given with my hand on my Glock...at which point they backed off and guy #3 appeared from behind my truck and they resumed their stroll after asking if I was a cop. Found a tire iron laying in the grass where #3 was the following morning...

Again...you handled it very well. I would have called 911 to let the authorities that be know there were dirt bags about...
    A nice bright light in their eyes would have been to your advantage

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Had a similar situation occur while in Houston several weeks ago. Two or three times
    a year I have to travel to Hobby airport in Houston to train Pilots. I was driving around
    looking for a gas station to fill my rental car, unarmed due to commercial air travel.
    After rejecting two stations due to numbers of indigenous types loitering around I finally found a station that appeared to be clear of people hanging around so I pulled in and just as I started to pump gas five very skinny,like POW skinny, black men and a equally skinny white girl,all in their early 20's appeared out of nowhere, it was
    obvious I was the subject of their conversation. Two of them began to approach
    me when I reached into the car as if I were retrieving a gun,really my cell phone,
    and put it in the small of my back under my belt. The girl immediately got the message
    and grabbed one of the guys by the arm and convinced him that it's probably a good idea to leave this 75 yr old fart alone. Needless to say, I became very concerned
    and already decided to spray these dudes down with gas if they threatened me,
    fortunately I was able to get out of there. I hate traveling to SE Houston

Sounds like you did a FINE job of handling the situation. I hope I would have done likewise
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

If your "spider senses" start tingling, you aren't wrong.

Last month I was selling mangoes in front of the house. We had a really good crop and sold about 1500 pieces of fruit over a three week period. Every day I would setup a table with a canopy in front of the house, load it with fruit, wait in the truck with the A/C on for buyers and make $100 to $400 a day depending. I would start the day with $50 of small bills in my left pocket and my J-frame revolver in the other.

Everyone knows it's a cash business and I had a steady stream of people stopping to buy fruit. We live on a "main" two lane road that gets a lot of traffic. Our clients ranged from a local news caster, basketball pro's, to construction workers and maids on their way home, getting a snack or treat for a few dollars. People locally love fresh ripe mango, and it is a Miami summer treat.

I was by myself around 3:00 in the afternoon when two "hombres" stopped. One tried to push his way past me into the yard and get behind me while the other was in front of me asking if I would ship a box to Merida ( in Mexico ) Alert! why would I ship fruit to Mexico? I quickly stepped back and forced the one guy looking at my house and trees back in front on the street. He continued to try and get behind me while is buddy was in front. I had my hand in my right pocket the whole time, and finally another car pulled up to buy fruit and my daughter came out to bring me some water. They left. I later learned over the past few years there have been several robberies of people selling fruit like myself.

Well done Jerry. Never let your guard down.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Thanks, all! In several years of carrying, (before and after asking permission of Big Brother) this was the first time I've felt uneasy enough to actually put my hand on a gun. The few bucks I just spent on renewing my permit for another five years seems to have been a good investment. I have a feeling the Atlanta jail system wouldn't have as many amenities as the motel I'm in right now! I'm headed to the freebie breakfast where I get to choose when, and what I'm going to eat!
    Jerry

Gas stations seem to be magnets for miscreants who seem to come outta nowhere...........I've had a few try and get me to give them a ride and ask questions like which way am I going and so forth that got my antenna up.

Good response just in case.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Service stations and rest areas.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Quote Originally Posted by 104RFAST View Post
    Had a similar situation occur while in Houston several weeks ago. Two or three times
    a year I have to travel to Hobby airport in Houston to train Pilots. I was driving around
    looking for a gas station to fill my rental car, unarmed due to commercial air travel.
    After rejecting two stations due to numbers of indigenous types loitering around I finally found a station that appeared to be clear of people hanging around so I pulled in and just as I started to pump gas five very skinny,like POW skinny, black men and a equally skinny white girl,all in their early 20's appeared out of nowhere, it was
    obvious I was the subject of their conversation. Two of them began to approach
    me when I reached into the car as if I were retrieving a gun,really my cell phone,
    and put it in the small of my back under my belt. The girl immediately got the message
    and grabbed one of the guys by the arm and convinced him that it's probably a good idea to leave this 75 yr old fart alone. Needless to say, I became very concerned
    and already decided to spray these dudes down with gas if they threatened me,
    fortunately I was able to get out of there. I hate traveling to SE Houston
    Anywhere in South Houston is not full of upper crust society. I hate going to Hobby in the daylight much less at night. You were definitely in a bad situation having to go naked like that. I won't stop in that part of town without being armed and if I don't have a dire need to be there I don't even go to that part of town.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Thanks, all! In several years of carrying, (before and after asking permission of Big Brother) this was the first time I've felt uneasy enough to actually put my hand on a gun. The few bucks I just spent on renewing my permit for another five years seems to have been a good investment. I have a feeling the Atlanta jail system wouldn't have as many amenities as the motel I'm in right now! I'm headed to the freebie breakfast where I get to choose when, and what I'm going to eat!
    Jerry

Oh I've actually pulled a gun when I never saw a person. But I'm nervous like that. Sometimes I'll take the trash out or go to the mail box out by the street after dark. When I do I'm armed and very much aware of my surroundings. But the problem is you can't see around corners and I'm always worried about a couple of scumbags coming running around the corner. I'm not sure I can draw that fast. But if I do, it better not be some dumbass neighbor kid clowning around because if they're on me and I do get my gun drawn they will wish they never would have come in my yard. I'm not into a bunch of deep thought in a situation where I have seconds or parts of a second to make up my mind whether to take fast action.
    Last edited by snake284; 08-15-2017 at 08:25 PM.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Follow your gut instinct.

Likely your direct display of abstinence had the desired effect. I sometimes use such displays also to good effect.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Ya done good! And remember there is an intermediate weapon there at every gas station. You can always hose someone down with gas, it may give you the seconds you need. Just sayin'
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

I considered the hose job, but the situation really never escalated to that point. I stopped at the same place on my way home today and had a short conversation with the manager about maybe checking their security video to see if these two clowns were regular visitors. She was very apologetic, and I assured her that I was not upset with the store- - - -just passing on a heads-up!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    Oh I've actually pulled a gun when I never saw a person. But I'm nervous like that.
    That probably scares hell out of folks at the grocery store......
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

You should have seen the 22-lb. Butterball he shot there last turkey season!

Jerry

Yeah I usually get a few quick looks.....I don't get worried in the grocery store. Only outside at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    You should have seen the 22-lb. Butterball he shot there last turkey season!

Jerry
    It wasn't a big turkey, it was a BIG CHICKEN!!! Hey I think that chicken got abducted and I saw it close to your house and I think it was Buffy humpin' on its leg!

Last edited by snake284; 08-16-2017 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk creek View Post
    Ya done good! And remember there is an intermediate weapon there at every gas station. You can always hose someone down with gas, it may give you the seconds you need. Just sayin'
    Napalm at the pump!!! Anybody got a Bic lighter? Talk about a Molotov Coctail!!!

Then you'd have one big flaming Scumbag!!!
    Last edited by snake284; 08-16-2017 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    Napalm at the pump!!! Anybody got a Bic lighter? Talk about a Molotov Coctail!!!

Then you'd have one big flaming Scumbag!!!
    Oh heck no! You don't light them off, but you just made them a Roman candle what they decide to do is up to them.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

No need for a Bic- - - -if you're close enough the muzzle flash from the first round lights the fuse!
    Jerry

Gas pumps are such a PIA especially alone, at night, and in unfamiliar places. First you voluntarily box yourself in between your vehicle, pump, and hose. Then you better focus on that damn display because each place asks different stuff sometimes: zip codes, pins, rewards, car wash, & receipt before you can actually start fueling. Screw up any of these and you either start over or the pump will just reject your card.

So in the above place/time scenario when I exit vehicle right hand is on my ccw (under cover garment) left hand has the cc, whether I see anything suspicious or not.

Such is a life lived in condition yellow .
    Last edited by Jack Burton; 08-16-2017 at 06:17 PM.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk creek View Post
    Oh heck no! You don't light them off, but you just made them a Roman candle what they decide to do is up to them.
    Oh I get it, it's kind of like taking the scumbag to a wooden outhouse, nailing his nutsack to the floor, leaving him an old rusty knife, closing the door and lighting off the building. Then the rest is up to him.

You did right, have handled similar situations exactly the same. GO AWAY, leave
    Me alone!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member

Last edited by 10canyon53; 08-23-2017 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 10canyon53 View Post
    The only people who seem to approach me at gas pumps and in parking lots are panhandlers. One of them did have unfortunate timing......I was in the Walmart parking lot in the rain attempting to install new wiper blades on my wife's GMC Acadia (the engineer who is responsible for that wiper blade design is the Spawn of the Devil). I was beyond frustrated and yelled at him that he didn't want to mess with me right then...
    Like the Indian who approached me in the motel parking lot in Winslow, Az when I was trying to get that balky MBZ started. I was *so* "not in the mood" to deal with a panhandler at that particular moment!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

If the kid had approached me directly instead of doing a roundabout sneak, and if it was not obvious there was probably a tag team attempt going on, I would have just encouraged him to get a job and quit being a parasite. When coincidences start stacking up like they were doing in this situation, I have a tendency to abandon even the appearance of diplomacy and cut to the chase!
    Jerry

You didn't get robbed or mugged, and you didn't get over zealous and commit some stupid crime. I learned a long time ago not to argue with results. What else needs to be said.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

THANKS! I believe sharing your experience will help some of us, our friends, and family a little safer.